Is itNormal for the front tires on the NP249 to slip on wet pavement ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is itNormal for the front tires on the NP249 to slip on wet pavement ?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Is itNormal for the front tires on the NP249 to slip on wet pavement ?

I noticed when i drive my 5.9 on dry roads that have tar or sealant on them and im turning my wheel that my front wheels always seem to slip or make skidding noises. They do this on wet roads also. I recently replaced my viscous coupler and i hadnt noticed this before until recently when they put that sealer on the roads in my neighborhood and also the gas station lot. Like when i back out of my parking spot and turn the wheels almost fully locked to get outa there after i go back in drive the front wheels makes skidding noises like the wheels are grabbing and sliding.

Also tonight when i made a u-turn on the wet pavement outside from all the rain we've been getting. Just curious if this normal in these conditions cause it has me questioning this new viscous coupler. Its probably nothing but i want to know if you guys get the same noises on these types of road conditions. Like also when i make a full lock u-turn i dont really get wheel hopping (altho that is unavoidable even with a working VC on full lock) but my tires sound like they are shredding on the road, specially if i give it good gas the rear tire that is on the inside of the turn sounds like its slipping.

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
punisher65

2006 WK 

i had the same problem and i looked around and someone mentioned that i needed some special fluid from mopar instead of atf so i put that in and most of the "slipping" went away
BT Catch Can, TB ground, Cree LED Reverse Lights, Interior LED upgrade

WK Build Thread

1993 4.0 ZJ
BB and 31" Bighorns SOLD :(
punisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Like the noise is the skidding noises you hear in concrete parking garages when people make sharp turns and there tires slip, as for the fluid, that shouldnt do anything as its a closed system. The special fluid is what lubricates the couplers in the Quadra drive and Quadra trac transfer cases in the Wj's
Unread 09-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Sounds like your new coupler is bad.
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Well i dunno its wierd, cause my tires arent wearing out like they were with the old bad VC, and i dont have issues making u-turns like i did before. Basicly my front tires squeel when i make turns on slippery surfaces like concrete, or aspalt thats had tar put on, or wet roads
Unread 09-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon View Post
Sounds like your new coupler is bad.
x2
Unread 09-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Newb1995jeepgc
1994 ZJ 

Mine does the same thing when i pull in to like mcdolnalds because its that slick tar coating. ive found all the 249 jeeps ive drove make that noise.. even my 242 does it sometimes even if in 2wd.
Newb1995jeepgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.