Issues removing transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Issues removing transfer case

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
antimorphisis
1998 ZJ 

Issues removing transfer case

I sure someone has asked this before, but I cannot seem to get the transfer case to separate from the transmission. I have disconnected everything. Electrical connections, vent hose, shift linkage, both drive shafts, and all six nuts. Yet the damned thing will not come free. it's an np 242 i'm trying to remove because the rear of the case is cracked. I've tried pry bars, and even a come along, nothing is breaking this thing free. Any advice would be helpful, before i completely destroy something.

antimorphisis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

pb blast the studs one might be corroded I had this issue when doing my 94 or put the trans in neutral (i dont know if trans in neutral dose anything but i was in the same boat as you the damn tc would not come off.) i did both at the same time so I dont truly know wich solved the issue
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

I remember reading something about a dowel (locator) pin that get welded together over time due to galvanic corrosion. I think I read it in the transfer case swap thread in the FAQ section. Hope this is useful.
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antimorphisis View Post
I sure someone has asked this before, but I cannot seem to get the transfer case to separate from the transmission. I have disconnected everything. Electrical connections, vent hose, shift linkage, both drive shafts, and all six nuts. Yet the damned thing will not come free. it's an np 242 i'm trying to remove because the rear of the case is cracked. I've tried pry bars, and even a come along, nothing is breaking this thing free. Any advice would be helpful, before i completely destroy something.
Hmm.... That's strange, both of mine started moving once I got the six nuts loose. Are you sure you got the top nut (I know you said you did), that is the only thing that I can thing of. And, do you have it set up so that you can drop the transmission a little?
zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

Wack it with a dead blow

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Drop kick it.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Just put the driveshafts back in and drive it around. It will fall out sooner or later
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

Air hammer the part that's stuck.
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Make sure ur pulling it straight out and not on a down or up angle

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
antimorphisis
1998 ZJ 

thanks guys, i'm going back at it today, i haven't tried the trans in netural yet, i'll try that and see what happens. it's almost there i can see light thorugh the top but it just doesn't want to let go. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Unread 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Coog
1999 ZJ 

We pulled and hauled at one for 30 mins before realising we had a bolt still done up. Double check them again to be sure. We even had day light coming through one bit lol
Coog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
antimorphisis
1998 ZJ 

alright, finaly got it out, turned out it was the top passenger side stud. The stud was so corroded it actually had about a quarter inch of build up on it and that prevented it from sliding out. All it took was four hours and a bunch of varying size flat tip screwdrivers and wiggling the thing from side to side until it fell out. Now i got it apart and that thing is pretty busted up from being run dry. so now it's on to the rebuild. Once again thank you all for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.