Iser's Build Thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Iser's Build Thread

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #121
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Hey that's using your noggin! I see a roll cage in your future. I bet those guys at the garage are happy you bought a ZJ! The guy up the road at Oreilly's call me by name and stop what they are doing to say hello.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 01:58 AM   #122
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Hey that's using your noggin! I see a roll cage in your future. I bet those guys at the garage are happy you bought a ZJ! The guy up the road at Oreilly's call me by name and stop what they are doing to say hello.
oh i will def be getting a roll cage at least some point or another. the guys at the open garage was pretty impressed with how this turned out. all of them told me i would have to junk my vehicle. heh.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

[B]Specs[/B]- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
[B]Upcoming Projects[/B]- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

[B][I]"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"[/I][/B]
- gen. george patton
iser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #123
DNTTRY
1998 ZJ 

Jerry
DNTTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #124
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iser
THU 01NOV2012 - Body Repair

as most of you guys know, i tipped my jeep over last weekend. it caved the roof and one of the columns got bent. 99.9% of the people told me that i won't be able to repair it without putting significant amount of money in, and at that point, it's just cheaper buying a new vehicle.

well, there is a reason why i stopped listening to other people, especially when it comes to my jeep.

i used a hi-lift jack to straighten everything out. it is indeed is one of the most important tools for a jeeper. most things line up correctly. liftgate is still damaged too much, so i'm just gonna pull one from a junkyard. other than that, the body is nice good again. i'm glad it turned out to be a quick and easy repair.
Damn! Thats gonna end up looking pretty descent with new windows and a hatch. Maybe make some 1/4 panel armor, like this. You do that, it'll look BETTER than before the flop.

image-926310510.jpg
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #125
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
Damn! Thats gonna end up looking pretty descent with new windows and a hatch. Maybe make some 1/4 panel armor, like this. You do that, it'll look BETTER than before the flop.
ooooo, i really like that armor. where did you get it?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

- gen. george patton
Unread 11-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #126
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/g...giant-1386118/

here is his build thread. somewhere in there he makes them. that armor is the first thing i thought of when I saw your damage too
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #127
iser
1997 ZJ 

i don't feel like spending any money. i'm thinking about plexiglass-ing it instead of pulling a window from a junkyard. just easier and cheaper.

- gen. george patton
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #128
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

"well, there is a reason why i stopped listening to other people, especially when it comes to my jeep."

That's the way to think about it! What's the worst that can happen? You break it?

Polka, same here. I walk in and they ask me "what's left to replace?" I joke with them that if I get the $50k they are giving away, it'll turn out to be $50k in store credit, and I really will be rebuilding the whole thing.
Unread 11-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #129
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

The plexiglass works good but gets scratched up easy. Good to see it worked out for ya. The real test will be getting the window and hatch to seat and seal. A level helps when your bending things back in place. Heat helps too. A torch makes things so much easier. You will have her looking good again in no time. I kinna think it looks better with the war wounds.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #130
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBhael View Post
"well, there is a reason why i stopped listening to other people, especially when it comes to my jeep."

That's the way to think about it! What's the worst that can happen? You break it?.
seriously. nearly everything i've done on my jeep, at one point or another, someone told me that it's a bad idea. i'm about to stack coil spacers too once i'm done making the repairs (waiting for all of jf.com scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
The plexiglass works good but gets scratched up easy. Good to see it worked out for ya. The real test will be getting the window and hatch to seat and seal. A level helps when your bending things back in place. Heat helps too. A torch makes things so much easier. You will have her looking good again in no time. I kinna think it looks better with the war wounds.
yea i don't mind the war wounds. this is a real jeep. not a soccer mom grand cherokee. ever since i got a bumper/winch and some wounds on it, i'm finally getting the jeep wave from others on the road. stock grand cherokees aren't really considered a real jeep up here, heh.

so, i wanted to get lexan, but they didn't have the size i needed. and acrylic was significantly cheaper, so i went with that route. i'm gonna start working on it tomorrow. i'll let y'all know how it comes out.

so how does putting torch on the body work? i'm afraid that it's gonna melt the paint off. i don't care too much about cosmetics, but still don't want it looking like complete garbage.

- gen. george patton
Unread 11-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #131
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Just throw in a window and this and call it fixed

band-aid-car-decal-1.jpg

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #132
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

You need to lift it 7 in with stacked coil spacers on short arms. And f 150 springs.
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #133
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

That's funny. I was just at Home Depot getting a small piece of Lexan and thought about your Jeep.
Scars = stories!
Unread 11-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #134
iser
1997 ZJ 

SUN 04NOV2012 - Coolant Flush / Thermostat Replacement / Window Repair

flushed the cooling system and changed the thermostat. ohhhh myyyy goodddddd my heat is insane now. should've done this a long time ago instead of freezing my butt off for half an hour every day. also installed a plexiglass window on the lift gate. i was really short on time, so didn't get to take many pictures. i'll take more pics when i finish it up tomorrow.

undoing the belt tensioner

nasty

surfaces cleaned for gasket

torquing it

rough fitting the plexiglass

spent a lot of time straightening the lips out and cleaning them.

fine cut with a grinder. got pretty good at it really fast. i'm pretty confidant in shaping plexiglass with a grinder.

anyway, i installed it already, but didn't have a chance to take pictures. it doesn't look too bad but ugh, i already cracked it. put in one of the screws in too tight and it cracked. maybe i should've been patient and just go with lexan. we'll see how this looks in 3 months or so.

- gen. george patton
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #135
iser
1997 ZJ 

MON 05NOV2012 - Window Repair Continued / HID Lights

continued repairing the windows with plexiglass. got the rear passenger window made. i definitely do not recommend plexiglass to use as windows. i should've definitely gone with lexan. plexiglass is cracking like crazy. the liftgate window is already cracked in half just from metal contracting from being in the cold.

then i had some time to kill so decided to tidy up the battery posts/wires and install the hid lights i've had for a loooooong time.

dropped one of the lights a day after i bought it. replaced it with plexiglass.

- gen. george patton

Tags
33 , build , build thread , jeep , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.