Iser's Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Iser's Build Thread

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #61
iser
1997 ZJ 

FRI 05OCT2012 - ROUND ONE

finally began gutting the 4.0

not a bad score. still a lot left to pull:

also picked up some off-road lights and a cb radio system. hopefully i can find time sometime next week to install them:

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

[B]Specs[/B]- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
[B]Upcoming Projects[/B]- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

[B][I]"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"[/I][/B]
- gen. george patton
iser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #62
iser
1997 ZJ 

list of pulled parts so far:

- bumper
- winch
- steering stabilizer
- front skid plate
- transfer case skid plate
- f/r driveshafts
- sway bar
- jks quick disconnects
- throttle body spacer
- k&n fipk
- rear adj track bar
- battery + tray
- rear tow hooks

good chance i'm gonna sell the throttle body spacer and k&n fipk. those two items should fit any jeep with a 4.0, right? there are lots of wranglers around here. how much should i sell them for? they are both in a good condition. also, one of the bushing on the jks quick discos is damaged. jks should be able to sell me just the bushings, right?

only half way through. i'll be pulling the axles, dash, engine and transfer case tomorrow. not sure if i'm gonna pull the tranny or not.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

- gen. george patton
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #63
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

"yea, the winter does suck. yea, it gets really cold. but this really is the last frontier and you can get a sense of being an adventurer within 15 miles of the city. i like being at a place knowing that there is a 99% chance that no human being as ever been there."

You just have to remember that the winter serves two valueable purposes: kill off the mosquitos and send the tourists home.
LordBhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #64
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBhael View Post
You just have to remember that the winter serves two valueable purposes: kill off the mosquitos and send the tourists home.
no kidding, they got some crazy ancient jurassic mosquitos here. i thought swampy areas in georgia was bad...no, it is not even close to how bad alaska is with mosquitos.

an hour and a half left on my 24-hour shift. then take a two hour nap and continue round two of gutting my jeep.

- gen. george patton
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #65
iser
1997 ZJ 

SUN 07OCT2012 - ROUND TWO

ready for round two

steering components disconnected

getting the adj track bar off. it's actually in a decent condition, so i'm very excited to install it. i heard bad things about rusty's so i'll make sure to regularly inspect it.

taking the shocks off

undo all the control arms and voila, it's off. took me 48 minutes.

ready for the rear axle

why are all rear sway bar links i've seen so far be such a major pita?

rear axle was done in the blink of an eye. once the sway bar came off, everything else just fell apart by itself.

time to remove the transfer case and transmission. my friend and i decide that cutting the exhaust system would make everything easier. so off we go chopping

done for the day

- gen. george patton
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #66
DNTTRY
1998 ZJ 

so where are you going to 1, store all the parts at and 2, how are you planning to remove the scrap from the base?
DNTTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #67
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Is that in a shop or something? or in a parking garage?

And I hope you noticed by now, but someone drew dicks all over it
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #68
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Looks like the base shop. But your still right about someone drawing dicks on it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #69
cekmgreen
1998 ZJ 

looks like to me you have a fun group of guys you work with
cekmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #70
iser
1997 ZJ 

the place i work at is like an open shop. $4 an hour. you get a lift and get to rent all the tools they have. it's an amazing place and i wouldn't have been able to do 90% of the things i've done if it wasn't for the open shop.

yep indeed there are dicks all over it =D my friend was having fun with a grinder.

the only thing left to pull is the engine, which i'm selling for $500. that will be thursday. kinda worried - i learned how to change tires 3 months ago and i'm about to pull an engine, lol. once i pull the engine, the frame is ready to be junked. i coordinated with a towing company so they will come and pick it up on thursday at 8pm. will load it up with a forklift.

bought that zj for $1500. already made $900 back and i get to keep the bumper and the winch which is the major reason why i purchased this jeep. there's a chance i may break even - hell, even might make a profit - if i restore the rusty's kit and try to sell that. all the bushings are done on the control arms.

- gen. george patton
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #71
iser
1997 ZJ 

SAT 13OCT2012 - ROUND THREE

pulled the radiator and tranny cooler

pulled the hood

attached the chain

going up!

now down

so empty inside

so pretty much done with the project at this point. going to start cleaning the parts and start posting them on craigslist. motor, tranny and transfer case are main items that i want to sell. it's still kinda surreal that i got this done. i knew nothing about cars 4 months ago. never changed tires before. used to open the hood, look inside, have no clue what i'm looking at and close it. 4 months later, i pretty much disassembled it to bare bones.

could not have done this without jf.com and some of my awesome friends.

- gen. george patton
Unread 10-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #72
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iser

i'm gonna miss it here when i leave in june.

before i joined, i thought alaska was some crazy place that i never ever wanted to go to. well, now i don't want to leave. alaska is amazing. yea, the winter does suck. yea, it gets really cold. but this really is the last frontier and you can get a sense of being an adventurer within 15 miles of the city. i like being at a place knowing that there is a 99% chance that no human being as ever been there.

but then again, i'm going to colorado next june. very very very excited about that too. all my life, i've been hearing about how beautiful colorado is.
Man living in Alaska and now Colorado eventually to? Your living my dreams!
Unread 10-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #73
lostbiker
1998 ZJ 

What kind of t case are u selling
lostbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #74
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbiker View Post
what kind of t case are u selling

- gen. george patton
Unread 10-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #75
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Man your so lucky to live near one of these open shops. I live in NH. My shop is my driveway. No air tools. No way to pull an engine at the push of a button. Also my driveways on a hill. You make everything look so easy. I wish I lived near you. Theres a few things still there everyone needs. The headliner and The drivers door. The rear hatch aswell. Strip that thing. I wouldnt worry with the help of craigslist you will make a good profit.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
33 , build , build thread , jeep , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.