Iser's Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Iser's Build Thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 09-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #31
SKorch630
1997 ZJ 

What cracks me up is they used a grade 3 bolt? WTF? Grade 8 MINIMUM for ANY suspension component.. Most auto makers use G5 all around unless on suspension, and I believe they're required by SAE to use G8 on suspension? Don't quote me on that... Regardless, give me the bolt dimensions and I'll get you a quote for some high quality Grade 8 bolts that won't snap on you... ever.

SKorch630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #32
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
What cracks me up is they used a grade 3 bolt? WTF? Grade 8 MINIMUM for ANY suspension component.. Most auto makers use G5 all around unless on suspension, and I believe they're required by SAE to use G8 on suspension? Don't quote me on that... Regardless, give me the bolt dimensions and I'll get you a quote for some high quality Grade 8 bolts that won't snap on you... ever.
i already replaced it with a grade 8

edit: looooool. grade 5. i thought 3 lines meant grade 3. derp. i'm still a noob. i'm learning.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

[B]Specs[/B]- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
[B]Upcoming Projects[/B]- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

[B][I]"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"[/I][/B]
- gen. george patton
iser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #33
iser
1997 ZJ 

heh, yea look at my join date. that's when i started learning about cars. i changed my engine oil for the first time a month ago, lol. in two months, from knowing NOTHING about cars (not know how to change tires or jump a car. no joke) to swapping an axle, a transfer case, suspension lift, car audio and a whole slew of little miscellaneous things.

i returned from afghanistan earlier this year. for an entire year, for 365 days straight (except 14 days of leave i had), i worked 14-16 hours a day. it was an intense pace and i was very used to that. then when i returned home, it was nice to relax for the first week, but i immediately started going crazy not having anything to do. suddenly, i was sitting in my room alone, staring at the ceiling, and a mere week before i was surrounded by hundreds of people and working at a breakneck pace. i really didn't know what to do with myself.

then i got this zj. and i've had so much fun playing with my new toy. i needed a hobby badly. heh, sucks it's an expensive one though.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

- gen. george patton
Unread 09-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #34
SKorch630
1997 ZJ 

Any car is an expensive hobby. I've dropped 23,000 into my audi that I've owned for just over two years, and I've got another 5-6000 in stuff ready to go in next week. Problem is, until my Jeep parts come in, I can't put the new stuff on her. She's teasing me anywho, keep up the good work. There's only one way to gain knowledge about cars. First hand.
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #35
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

lol wish i had that type of cash to drop on my ZJ i think i would start with a 4inch lift as well 31's or 33s on my niner wheels, ARB and so on lol most of the time i am lucky during the month to have enough extra for an oil change or just gas My ZJ is neglected and takes everything to not let her go...... Love the build....
Unread 09-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #36
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
There's only one way to gain knowledge about cars. First hand.
the reason why i learned so fast is bc the jeep kept on taking a sh*t on me. it's my dd so i had to get it up and working as fast as i can.

- gen. george patton
Unread 09-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #37
True
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Great work so far, I was doing and planned to do about the same things you have when I had my 5.2 96 ZJ. I got to the part of the Zone 4" and 33's but ended up selling it before I did the 242 swap and bought a TJ... We have two TJ's and an XJ now, so I think there is room to rid of a TJ and bring home another 5.2, maybe even a niner project lol. I like the black much better

Look forward to seeing more of your build, cheers!

Unread 09-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #38
SKorch630
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iser View Post
the reason why i learned so fast is bc the jeep kept on taking a sh*t on me. it's my dd so i had to get it up and working as fast as i can.
Just remember to not cut corners and do everything right. The last thing you want to do is break down on the side of the road, without the option to fix it there, because you cut a corner. I've learned that lesson a few times. Those "temp" fixes are just that.

I understand it's a DD, and I too, have a DD jeep.. that's been sitting for nearly 3 weeks now. Luckily, I have a back up vehicle. I knew that if I was going to do this project, I wanted it done right. That's why she's still sitting

Lastly, if you can't figure something out, you know to come here and ask questions, or post in a regional form. I'm sure some people would love to come help you turn a wrench and get the job done for a pizza and some beer.
Unread 09-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #39
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by True View Post
maybe even a niner project lol. I like the black much better
i'm gonna play around and experiment with this one. then once i get a black niner, i'll get more serious.

Quote:
Just remember to not cut corners and do everything right. The last thing you want to do is break down on the side of the road, without the option to fix it there, because you cut a corner. I've learned that lesson a few times. Those "temp" fixes are just that.
and that is why i will be swapping my front axle AGAIN as soon as i find a HP30. it's the first real work i did on my jeep so i had no idea what i was doing (not that i know what i'm doing now), so that axle is hack job. and i was under serious time constraint too.

- gen. george patton
Unread 09-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #40
iser
1997 ZJ 

took it out and got it stuck. was out there all day. really need a winch

- gen. george patton
Unread 09-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #41
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iser View Post
took it out and got it stuck. was out there all day. really need a winch
Doesn't look like a winch would have helped. You need to be able to winch off of something and I don't see any place to tie off too. Just jack it up and shove boards or logs under the tires. That got me out from being stuck like hell twice. Took some digging but I drove out.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #42
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

You need to avoid them rutts man. Look like there from something bigger. Well that or get bigger tires. Ford 8.8? Nice pics. Try to keep one tire to either side of the rutt. Jeeps are good in mud holes but not when that dana30 and 35 are hung up.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #43
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yea no kidding. It turns into a plow.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #44
iser
1997 ZJ 

yea tried to avoid it, but ended up slipping into it. yea, turns out that path is famous for getting everyone stuck and it really should not be traveled except in the winter.

so i was out there for about 6 hours. why? nobody could get to me. any heavy truck would sink straight in. wranglers could not make it either. my friend's 5" lift wrangler with mickey thompson 35" MTs could not get to me. he had to winch himself out 3 times to reach me. i went further than anyone. that tells you what kind of beast this zj is =D

- gen. george patton
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #45
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

One time I made it down a trail like that in a stock cherokee with bald firestones until I smacked into a rock
surrounded by long grass. As soon as the forward movement was lost there was no getting it out. Eventually it sank into the mud. Then it dried and it was gone. Best 400$ I ever wasted. I only wish I took pictures.
Someday theyll dig it up like a dinosaur fossel presserved buy the mud and dirt. Then Ill get a ticket. LOL. I dont mind loseing cheap cars I buy to beat on but I dont know what I would do if I lost my zj most likely go down with the ship. Ive lost alot of cherokees in mud and water rivers ponds lakes. One caught on fire. Fun times.....
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
33 , build , build thread , jeep , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.