Iser's Build Thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Iser's Build Thread

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 11-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #136
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Lol, don't be goin on no plexiglass rampage now...

[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #137
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713
Lol, don't be goin on no plexiglass rampage now...
Hahaha! Was thinking the same thing

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #138
iser
1997 ZJ 

plexiglass sucks. cracks like crazy. going with lexan next time.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

[B]Specs[/B]- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
[B]Upcoming Projects[/B]- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

[B][I]"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"[/I][/B]
- gen. george patton
iser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #139
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Plexiglass doesn't seem too clear, I wonder how that'll be looking out the rearview mirror. Hows the lighting with that one plexiglass lens? Still just as bright?
Unread 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #140
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
Plexiglass doesn't seem too clear, I wonder how that'll be looking out the rearview mirror. Hows the lighting with that one plexiglass lens? Still just as bright?
oh i still had the protective film on it when i took that picture. the plexiglass is completely clear so i have no problem looking at my rear view mirror. and the light is just as good as the other one.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

- gen. george patton
Unread 11-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #141
iser
1997 ZJ 

FRI 09NOV2012 - Heated Seats / CB Radio / Dimmer Switch

attempted to repair heated seats. totally failed. the heating pads are all torn apart and there's really no way to fix it. so wasted about 3 hours working outside in -10 degrees. also by mistake, i ended up opening the power seat control. now i am totally f-ed (look at the pic). i took one out of the passenger side and put it on the driver side. gonna have to go to a junkyard and pull a power seat control.

yep. cb radio. just have it connected. spliced wires from my headunit.

painted the edge of the windows. looks MUCH better now. it looked like a total hack job before.

took the dimmer switch out and brought it home with me.

yep. found the culprit.

however, i decided to go ahead and res-older all of them.

cb mic got ripped off. actually took me 15 minutes to find the correct wiring diagram. didn't think it would take me that long.

anyway, this is how my zj is sitting as of now. decided to throw a spare on the roof. a friend of mine got a flat last week, and he did not have a spare. he was sucking. i can't risk driving around without a spare, so even though it raises the center of gravity and kills mpg, i decided to throw it on the roof for now. really need a swingout spare tire carrier or a hitch mount carrier.

- gen. george patton
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #142
iser
1997 ZJ 

SAT 10NOV2012 - Coil Spacer Stack

my front is sagging from my bumper/winch. i had 1" spacers laying around so decided to stack it to a 3/4" spacers i already had at the front. rides great. no problems. and the sagging is gone now (not that it was terribly noticeable. only to me really).

on the lift and stands

removing the track bar

undoing the sway bar links. i find it easier to undo the bottom, though most instructions and people undo it at the top.

removing the tie rods. this is like my 10th time or something removing the tie rod now. it comes out easy. the first time i tried to take it out, it took me a long long long time and effort.

coil in the strut compressor.

i taped the bumpstop to the coil and bolted them in once coil was in place.

in!

to get the lower control arms to line up, i attached a ratchet strap to the axle and the bumper and pulled it up and forward.

also, i didn't take a picture, but i ratchet strapped the body and pulled it to the passenger side approximately 1/8" in order to line up the track bar. used the ratchet strap pretty extensively today. i have two tiny ones that i use to hold the spare on the roof, but they both broke when i tried to move the axle. so i had to borrow a heavy duty one. i'll be purchasing a heavy duty ratchet in the future. it is just way too useful.

- gen. george patton
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #143
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Sure looks like you're into a lot of different things there iser and getting a lot accomplished. Wondered how you were going to line up some of those loose front end parts, like track bar, w/it up in the air and you're becoming an expert on using ratcheting straps. Jacks too the way you straightened all that crash damage.

Kind of off-topic but you may want to keep any caustic chemicals away from that plexiglass or it may permanently fog/stain. I used to work some with lexan at work and we had 4'x6' by 3/16" thick sheets on our park bulletin boards. A park ranger once used wasp spray on nests above these lexan panals and it ran all over them. Turned it milky white where the spray ran and won't even mention how much that cost to replace. Not saying you'd use wasp spray around your plexiglass windows but wouldn't doubt some of the caustic vehicle sprays/chemicals may do the same thing if using it next to them.

PS. great job on your build and I follow it closely!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #144
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Sure looks like you're into a lot of different things there iser and getting a lot accomplished. Wondered how you were going to line up some of those loose front end parts, like track bar, w/it up in the air and you're becoming an expert on using ratcheting straps. Jacks too the way you straightened all that crash damage.
yea, i'm starting to utilize jacks, straps, tapes and clamps extensively. when i'm working on my jeep, i always feel like i don't have enough hands.

Quote:
Kind of off-topic but you may want to keep any caustic chemicals away from that plexiglass or it may permanently fog/stain.
will do

Quote:
PS. great job on your build and I follow it closely!
haha, thanks!

- gen. george patton
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #145
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iser View Post
yea, i'm starting to utilize jacks, straps, tapes and clamps extensively. when i'm working on my jeep, i always feel like i don't have enough hands.
Know what you mean about not having enough hands. Have used some of my carpentry tools working on my ZJ including quick release clamps, bar/pipe clamps (2',4',6'), etc.. Would bet a come-a-long would also work for lining up parts but a whole lot less forgiving to have a steel cable wrapped around your axle instead of a strap. Plus handle would always be in then way...

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #146
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Since CA bushings are torqued down while on the ground... when you drop the axle that far, does it put excessive torque (possibly tearing) on the rubber bushings?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #147
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Since CA bushings are torqued down while on the ground... when you drop the axle that far, does it put excessive torque (possibly tearing) on the rubber bushings?
i'm hoping not. the way i see it, the bushings have the weight of the vehicle on them. they are supposed to be able to take a lot of force. and i don't think i put as much force as a weight of the vehicle on the CAs. i think the reasons why they deform is due to simply time. even though i was putting force in the opposite direction than it is used to, the time it was under the stress was pretty short (compared to some bushings that have been supporting weights for 15+ years). haven't had any trouble with the bushings so far. i will keep an eye on them though.

Quote:
Know what you mean about not having enough hands. Have used some of my carpentry tools working on my ZJ including quick release clamps, bar/pipe clamps (2',4',6'), etc.. Would bet a come-a-long would also work for lining up parts but a whole lot less forgiving to have a steel cable wrapped around your axle instead of a strap. Plus handle would always be in then way...
oh, btw, at first i was gonna use the winch to pull the axle up and forward, then the cable got loose and i didn't have time to unwind everything and wind it back up. probably would've been really easy with a winch.

- gen. george patton
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #148
iser
1997 ZJ 

so i go underneath the driver's dash to dig around try to repair not getting any air from the dash vent. and guess what i found down there, buried deeply, all the way in the corner....a viper remote starter along with dei 455!!!! looooooooooooooool. i had this jeep for 6 months and i had no idea. i'm guessing the previous owner didn't know either.

got in touch with a viper remote starter shop. gonna take it in and have them inspect it. then gonna buy a proper remote for this model. shouldn't cost me more than $100. so basically, i'm about to have a remote starter for $100 instead of $750. very very very excited. and those who have been following me know just how badly i wanted a remote starter due to the extreme cold up here.

really hoping that the starter is still functional and properly wired and all i need is a remote. that would be so amazing.

- gen. george patton
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #149
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iser
so i go underneath the driver's dash to dig around try to repair not getting any air from the dash vent. and guess what i found down there, buried deeply, all the way in the corner....a viper remote starter along with dei 455!!!! looooooooooooooool. i had this jeep for 6 months and i had no idea. i'm guessing the previous owner didn't know either.

got in touch with a viper remote starter shop. gonna take it in and have them inspect it. then gonna buy a proper remote for this model. shouldn't cost me more than $100. so basically, i'm about to have a remote starter for $100 instead of $750. very very very excited. and those who have been following me know just how badly i wanted a remote starter due to the extreme cold up here.

really hoping that the starter is still functional and properly wired and all i need is a remote. that would be so amazing.
That would really just make my day. Congrats.
Unread 11-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #150
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

I was having a heck of a time trying to get the transmission back on my TJ after replacing the clutch. I rented a tranny jack, but no one in town had a normal one, just a super huge, heavy duty unit for semi trucks. Needless to say, it wasn't really working out. In frustration I grabbed a couple of ratchet straps, strung them between the frame rails and under the transmission, and didn't really have much problem from there. Still wasn't easy, but it worked better than the 12 ton uber-jack.

Tags
33 , build , build thread , jeep , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.