Iron Rock OTK steering questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Iron Rock OTK steering questions

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Redfire03
1998 ZJ 

Iron Rock OTK steering questions

Hey guys,

The steering on my Jeep needs to be tightened up and I am trying to explorer all my options. Right now my Jeep has a 3.5'' lift, 32'' tires, adjustable control arms and track bars. My Jeep is my daily driver, so I still want to keep it quite as in no popping or clanking.

I am either thinking about just getting new tie rods, etc. or upgrading to the heavy duty OTK setup from Iron Rock.

If you have had some personal experience with the OTK steering can you please share it. Does it make any odd noised (popping, squeaking, clanking?), did it tighten up the steering, how durable has it been, any maintenance required with it?

Thanks,
Joe

Redfire03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

You dont have enough lift to warrant running the OTK setup, IMO.

Look into currie, they have HD steering setups that dont require much, if any, modification. Also a KOR steering box brace would help greatly.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Redfire03
1998 ZJ 

Something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0593&viewitem=
Redfire03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

yes like that and x2 on the steering box brace

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

high pinion dana 30 and 8.8 in garage
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/lateralus3s-slow-build-thread-1042086/"]my build thread[/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
lateralus3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
dlvsdh
1995 ZJ 

x3 on the brace and currie or iro
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
You dont have enough lift to warrant running the OTK setup, IMO.

Look into currie, they have HD steering setups that dont require much, if any, modification. Also a KOR steering box brace would help greatly.
looking at ironrocks site it doesnt say anything about a minimum amount of lift, it just say it will not work with stock backspacing

edit:Biggoofy is at 3.5 and 33s and is running the IRO OTK steering

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

high pinion dana 30 and 8.8 in garage
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/lateralus3s-slow-build-thread-1042086/"]my build thread[/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
lateralus3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

i don't see why lift height would really matter, its a great set up, the steering is really tight, and its nice not having the toe change every bump i hit.

it does like to squeak really bad after driving long distances in the rain or really wet wheeling, but a couple shots of penetrating lube fixes it right away.

I would also recommend getting a steering box brace. It tightens everything up really nice.

Its a great set up, just make sure you can run heims/ don't have inspections where you live.
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

I was under the impression from a local off road shop that you needed to be at a decent lift height for your steering geometry to stay correct, but i stand corrected.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

for steering geometry it would be dependant on your track bar drop, as the track bar and drag link should be parallel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.