IRO ZJ Front Long Arm Install ( Step by Step Pics ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > IRO ZJ Front Long Arm Install ( Step by Step Pics )

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 02-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

IRO ZJ Front Long Arm Install ( Step by Step Pics )

Ok so i got some time today to put my HP30 back in the front and put the IRO long arms on at the same time.

First i pulled off my stock control arms.... heres a picture for everyone to see what driving on stock control arms at 4.5" lift for a year will do. you can see how bent up they are from where they contact the axle...im lucky they didnt cave in on me completely.

Next i took off my KevinsOffroad.com Crossmember + TC Skid ( which is for sale.. pm me if interested ) so i could install the new IRO crossmember.

Below are pictures of where the holes for the crossmember need to be drilled... its extremely easy to drill since there is a lip that the bolts/nuts go through....you dont have to fish a nutplate into the unibody ( the rear has a nutplate )

the outer 2 holes are the stock crossmember mounting holes and the 4 other ones are the ones that need drilled

Next we bolted the crossmember on and connected the transmission mount to it.

Connected the LA's to the axle.....then connected them to the IRO crossmember

[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

The install went extremely smooth untill the end...where we ran into a few things that i wanted to make everyone aware of.
- I was at 4.5" of lift and my front driveshaft worked just fine...now that the axle is pushed further forward... my front driveshaft is about 2 7/8" too short. YOU WILL NEED A NEW FRONT DRIVESHAFT for the front long arms... i havnt ordered the rears yet so i dont know about the rear... i would guess that you would need one for the rear as well

- second... stock steering = the suck when it comes to this kit. I called IRO and they said they have ran into this problem before. Where the drag link and tie rod connect to one another was hitting the sway bar mount and the Steering Stabalizer (mount and shock ) when the wheel was turned fully left (SS) or fully right (sway)

The solution.... ( as recommended by IRO ) was the put a ~5 degree bend in the drag link. So we did so and now all is well

Overall im very satisfied with the kit... i havnt gotten a chance to flex it out yet cause ive been too busy with work and school but that will come soon along with pictures of it

I plan on ordering the rear long arms with my tax return and at the same time move up to 6.5" of lift instead of 4.5"
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
froggo27
2004 WJ 

you gonna go 6" lift now? When we gonna go wheeling?

04 WJ Limited
My Trail Pics!!

froggo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Jones
Consider the following...

He said he's going with 6.5"

Good work Matt, I can't wait to see it flex.
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
-cAcHe-
1996 ZJ 

niceee.. 10cha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
I like happy endings :2thumbsup:
RIP Troy Edwards (bigbluezj94)
-cAcHe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggo27 View Post
you gonna go 6" lift now? When we gonna go wheeling?
as soon as i get my rear arms on as well haha... im not getting a new front shaft untill i get the rear arms on and go to 6.5" cause i want the driveshafts to be the correct length for the 6.5" of lift
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Is there any other option for the draglink besides bending it? I wouldn't be satisfied with that option, nor would I have a press to make the bend.

Nice work, though. Let's see the finished product.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Is there any other option for the draglink besides bending it? I wouldn't be satisfied with that option, nor would I have a press to make the bend.

Nice work, though. Let's see the finished product.
I dont know if the steering is a problem with all lift heights/axles/ZJs etc but IRO said that there OVK steering system works without problems with this kit
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=ZST

Heres some up to date pictures of the ZJ ( Hanson Offroad front bumper is still off to get fixxed...might just be replaced with a tube bumper to match the rear that is gonna be built for it )

Unread 02-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Lets see some flexation sensation.. Looks great by the way

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
Jones

Mall crawl it so we can see the flex. It does push the axle forward quite a bit.
Unread 02-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Is it just me or does it look like the wheels are pushed forward a lot more now?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser1986brown View Post
Is it just me or does it look like the wheels are pushed forward a lot more now?
They're long arms, that's how it works. Did you read the thread he said the front driveshaft is 2 7/8" to short now.
Unread 02-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
CaribouLouWJ
2007 WK 

Those are good looking arms. Very nice writeup
2001.5 B5S4 500awhp gutted track car
2002 WJ Limited
4.7 HO, 6.5" LA, 37's, JK 44's SOLD
CaribouLouWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
96greenxjjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

flex pics??
96greenxjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
PatTJ05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin' great Matt! Sorry couldn't help out at all -- had to work. Be interesting to see how the rear axle lines up (will it be pushed back?) once the rear LA's go in.

Good work, now let's get it out on some trails and test it out!
PatTJ05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.