iro or rubicon express - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > iro or rubicon express

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
lostbiker
1998 ZJ 

iro or rubicon express

Im saving up for a lift but im tor between the 4.5 iro lift or the rubicon express 4.5 superflex what do u guy recomend?

lostbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
nickhay13
1998 ZJ 

I have no experience with RE but I have the 5.5" IRO kit and I love it.
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I don't like RE's rubber bushings . I bought when they had a bad batch . It was a real turn off since they cracked in a month and they are not the cheapest . The old style used OEM bushings and if still the case , this question would be harder to answer .

I like IRO because they use solid OEM bushings which will last 10 yrs + and I could replace them with parts from my local sources .

My opinion on a great short arm set up would be IRO arms , and springs . Bilstien shocks , JKS end links and rear track bar , Clayton's front track bar . I have 3 sets of RE arms in my shed , and a RE TB and bracket .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I ran re suspension components for over fifteen years. I'd surely buy them again.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
I have 3 sets of RE arms in my shed , and a RE TB and bracket .
Well I'll help you out and get them out of your shed if you have a set of adjustable lowers for the front!!!

Cause my Rough Country twist in the middle crap actually moves back and fourth....threads are completely shot and I've replaced every other control arm with IRO's but haven't found any lowers cheap enough....
KyBoy1991 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
Well I'll help you out and get them out of your shed if you have a set of adjustable lowers for the front!!!

Cause my Rough Country twist in the middle crap actually moves back and fourth....threads are completely shot and I've replaced every other control arm with IRO's but haven't found any lowers cheap enough....
Are your RCs the adjustable flex joint type? If so, then Currie and Ballistic Fab make replacement Johnny Joints for them.
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
Are your RCs the adjustable flex joint type? If so, then Currie and Ballistic Fab make replacement Johnny Joints for them.
my end joints aren't the problem...it's how they twist together in the center of the arm for adjustment....I can literally move them in and out like an acordian by hand.
KyBoy1991 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
ls6777
1995 ZJ 

I have an IRO 4.5" Premium and love it. I looked at both RE and IRO when looking for my lift and eventually went with IRO because it got some great reviews, customer service is great, and it was not as pricey as the RE setup.
95' ZJ Limited: 5.2L, 46RH, BFG 33/12.50R15 ATs, TJ D44 4.10 Rubicon Axles, 4.5" Premium IRO lift, Billstein 5125's, NVG241OR Rubicon 4:1 TC, Mark VIII Electric Fan conversion, 160 amp alternator, Custom front bumper with Warn XD9000i, Griffin HD Radiator, IRO Belly skid, SkidRow Engine/Tranny skid Next Mod: RockHard Back Bumper and Roll Cage
ls6777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I ran re suspension components for over fifteen years. I'd surely buy them again.
You had the arms with OEM bushings then , those were good . The newer style bushing is crap . As a matter of fact , I think thats why they sold out , bad bushings , too may warranty claims . I really don't think you'd be pleased with the new bushings .

Kyboy , thanks for the offer but I will find something off-road only one day and use them on it , maybe even this latest 5.9 acquisition . I'm having a hard time keeping my foot out of it , gonna get me a big ticket one day Sold my 70 Chevelle after I got handed a mitt full of tickets , even though I beat them .
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I did replace the bushings. The new rubber bushings were the moog ones. Not RE ones.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
jeepin87
1998 ZJ 

I've had great products from both companies but in my opinion IRO gets the nod for customer service. I have a LA front on 4.5 springs, unbelievable flex while being very stable at the same times. Using their short arms in the rear. Like states above, the bushings they use are OEM quality and spec, easy to replace and last a long time.
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited 4.5" LA/33"s
1999 WJ 4.0 Limited
2003 Ram 1500 w/built 12v cummins
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins tow rig
jeepin87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

I couldn't tell you how long any IRO stuff would last as I haven't used any of their stuff for that long, but I can tell you, back in late 05 I installed a 3.5in RE super-flex kit in my 93 ZJ and this past summer pretty much all the flex joints and bushings started to fail in my control arms. I guess thats not all that bad considering the abuse. NOT A FAN AT ALL of the track bar that came with the kit! It robbed me of so much flex and I kept bending the crap out of it.

Overall I say RE has some great products and I'm sure they improved over the years. But from what I've used from IRO, I think if I'd chose them over RE... Thats just how I'd go with short arms in that situation
FAlfani81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I did replace the bushings. The new rubber bushings were the moog ones. Not RE ones.

Hunter
Right , OEM style , not the hourglass shape BS that the new bushings are . You can't swap one for the other . You had the good , old style arms .
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
Kur
1998 ZJ 

I've got RE long arms under my zj right now that i installed just under a year ago. So far so GREAT. no issues at all with anything. well there were a couple small issues in the installation.. but nothing too difficult to figure out. you can check my build thread for info about that.
Kur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAlfani81 View Post
I couldn't tell you how long any IRO stuff would last as I haven't used any of their stuff for that long, but I can tell you, back in late 05 I installed a 3.5in RE super-flex kit in my 93 ZJ and this past summer pretty much all the flex joints and bushings started to fail in my control arms. I guess thats not all that bad considering the abuse. NOT A FAN AT ALL of the track bar that came with the kit! It robbed me of so much flex and I kept bending the crap out of it.

Overall I say RE has some great products and I'm sure they improved over the years. But from what I've used from IRO, I think if I'd chose them over RE... Thats just how I'd go with short arms in that situation
so you got 8 years out of those bushings? yea thats good

iro is fine. RE is fine. RE springs to me, have been the best for what i've run................. best springs IMO
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.