IRO or RC 3.5" lift? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > IRO or RC 3.5" lift?

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah i bought the rear coils also. I have the 4.0 and to save the hassle with getting v8 coils i bought the iro rear with the kit. They are cheap anyways only like 120$ and all new parts is always a good thing

Cmense is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
iser
1997 ZJ 

off topic:

just received my zone 4" (yea, i know IRO is the way to go, but IRO is insanely expensive in alaska...about $350 shipping for the $450 kit....i complained this to IRO and they ignored me haven't heard back....so i had to go with zone which had a feasible price).

anyway, i haven't installed it yet (probably won't get to for 2 weeks or so. busy as hell lately) but i am not too happy with the build quality. i was not expecting a perfectly machined parts, but it just looks cheap. it feels solid and well constructed, but just wasn't machined well. also, i already have one control arm that was not tapped properly and i can't screw in the grease fitting. it doesn't fit. period. there are nuts and bolts that weren't threaded properly and won't screw on without excessive force which will damage the threads. it's really annoying when you have to work with sub-standard nuts and bolts. it's so frustrating.

so, i'll write up a full review once i have it up and running, as long as the ride quality is okay (i'm not expecting stock), i'll be satisfied considering the kit was only $600 for me. but at the moment, i'm already disappointed.

go with IRO.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

[B]Specs[/B]- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
[B]Upcoming Projects[/B]- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

[B][I]"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"[/I][/B]
- gen. george patton
iser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
There is an option to add the rear coils which is what I would do. No more front to rear swaps for me.
That is perfect, I wouldn't want to swap the F>R, I would want new parts.

Thanks Polka.. Also I would want new rear UCAs and LCAs as well..

But if I do a IRO 3.5" with 2" BB I would need to go to LAs correct?

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #19
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd

But if I do a IRO 3.5" with 2" BB I would need to go to LAs correct?
You need all 8 adj CAs or fixed
Rear adj track bar
Long arms are recommended
Longer swaybar links then what the kit gives you
And longer shocks.
Itll ruin your ride quaility believe me ive thought about it. My 3.5 iro is like a cadillac on the trail. Spacers will be a rough ride and may break parts so it can be done but not a good idea
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It just doesn't make sense to go 3.5" then add a 2" spacer. Just get the 5.5" springs and then all of the other correct parts to go along with that height. It's pretty stupid to get everything that goes with a 3.5" lift when you really are going to 5.5". You will have 3.5" parts that will not work at 5.5". Just do it right the first time. Coils are much better than spacers too.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
melk
1996 ZJ 

It's killing me but I've had 4" springs sitting in my garage for over a year now because I am waiting to get proper adjustable trackbars front and rear before I lift it. Gaaahhhh.....
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
country93
1997 ZJ 

Do u need to upgrade the CA's on the 3.5in iron rock kit. And will I be able to use my stock rims with 31x10.50r15. Thanks
country93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #23
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iser View Post
off topic:

just received my zone 4" (yea, i know IRO is the way to go, but IRO is insanely expensive in alaska...about $350 shipping for the $450 kit....i complained this to IRO and they ignored me haven't heard back....so i had to go with zone which had a feasible price).

anyway, i haven't installed it yet (probably won't get to for 2 weeks or so. busy as hell lately) but i am not too happy with the build quality. i was not expecting a perfectly machined parts, but it just looks cheap. it feels solid and well constructed, but just wasn't machined well. also, i already have one control arm that was not tapped properly and i can't screw in the grease fitting. it doesn't fit. period. there are nuts and bolts that weren't threaded properly and won't screw on without excessive force which will damage the threads. it's really annoying when you have to work with sub-standard nuts and bolts. it's so frustrating.

so, i'll write up a full review once i have it up and running, as long as the ride quality is okay (i'm not expecting stock), i'll be satisfied considering the kit was only $600 for me. but at the moment, i'm already disappointed.

go with IRO.
That really sucks man. I hate that feeling when you are excitement is replaced with disappointment.

All I have to say is be really careful. When I bought a Rusty's TB because I was trying to save money, it was poorly threaded and the tie rod end wouldn't screw into the pipe so I sent it back. All they did was re tap the same pipe and send it back to me. I installed it but on it's maiden voyage the threads that were re tapped blew out and the bar separated and I almost hit a tree. I was only going about 35 thankfully. After that I never bought cheap crap again. I went with KOR. Throwing money away on cheap parts sucks.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #24
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by country93
Do u need to upgrade the CA's on the 3.5in iron rock kit. And will I be able to use my stock rims with 31x10.50r15. Thanks
Yes stock wheels and 31s will fit. No need to upgrade cas but make sure your bushings are good because you will be increasing tge angle of your cas and will feel every bump if the bushings are shot
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #25
two_much_talk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That really sucks man. I hate that feeling when you are excitement is replaced with disappointment.

All I have to say is be really careful. When I bought a Rusty's TB because I was trying to save money, it was poorly threaded and the tie rod end wouldn't screw into the pipe so I sent it back. All they did was re tap the same pipe and send it back to me. I installed it but on it's maiden voyage the threads that were re tapped blew out and the bar separated and I almost hit a tree. I was only going about 35 thankfully. After that I never bought cheap crap again. I went with KOR. Throwing money away on cheap parts sucks.
x2

I installed RCs 4" long arm on my 5.9. Ended up swapping out the joints for Ruff Stuff heims because of how crappy they were. The track bar was a joke. Ran it for about 2 weeks before I built my own. The sway bar disconnects are adequate but are gonna need to be replace after about a year. ( do they make an Antirock for ZJs?? )

The brackets and arms otherwise were fine. The kit accepted standard heims in the arms. The belly skid seems to be good quality and the fancy nut adaptors that go in the "subframe" are really nice.

Not sure that I'd buy it again, its for a trail rig and not a DD, with that in mind it works well. (crazy flex with the heims) But I'd likely go RE or IRO to do it again.

two_much_talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #26
Fixxxer_ZJ
1995 ZJ 

The IRO kit consists of rough country springs, shocks, and endlinks..... The trackbar is an IRO part
Fixxxer_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #27
country93
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
The IRO kit comes with a front adjustable trackbar. The RC kit has instructions on how to drill a hole for your stock trackbar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmense View Post
Yes stock wheels and 31s will fit. No need to upgrade cas but make sure your bushings are good because you will be increasing tge angle of your cas and will feel every bump if the bushings are shot
Thanks cmense
country93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixxxer_ZJ
The IRO kit consists of rough country springs, shocks, and endlinks..... The trackbar is an IRO part
Doesn't IRO have there own springs but offer rough country components for some kits? IRO has a lifetime warrantee on there springs. I doubt they would warrantee RC springs under there own name when they are known to end up sagging.
FAlfani81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #29
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAlfani81 View Post
Doesn't IRO have there own springs but offer rough country components for some kits? IRO has a lifetime warrantee on there springs. I doubt they would warrantee RC springs under there own name when they are known to end up sagging.
IRO uses their own springs with all their lifts and has RC Hydro 8000 shocks as the standard shocks with some of their lifts. The lifts can be upgraded to RC Nitro 9000 shocks, DT 8000s, or Blisteins. The long arm kits come with DT 8000s because they're one of the longest shocks you can mount in the stock locations. They also used to offer RC kits, IIRC. They had the 4" lift from them. I'd imagine that lift came with a RC warranty, not the IRO warranty.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #30
dougmorgan99
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAlfani81 View Post
That is correct, when I bought my IRO 3.5 a year ago I asked about the springs with Josh from IRO. He said they use to use RC springs but now make their own. Hence why I bought the rear springs versus doing the F/R swap. It was worth it because I wanted the lifetime on the springs sagging since I am running a bunch of armor, accessories and very heavy rear bumper w/ tire carrier.
dougmorgan99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift kit advice

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.