IRO lift - few q's (yes read faq's/search) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > IRO lift - few q's (yes read faq's/search)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 03-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
sejamis
1998 ZJ 

IRO lift - few q's (yes read faq's/search)

Hey! I guess since this is technically my first post, I should try and not look like a newb/retard etc. Bit of background, my 98 Zj is my first 4x4 vehicle. I've always been into cars, never really suv/truck type vehicles. I build and install custom car audio for a living at a local chain up here (Visions for any western Canadians) with 5 years in the biz. I found my Zj in an insurance company "write off" yard actually, being a victim of vandalization which apparently was too much ($$) to fix, so I jumped on it for $2500. Took a few weeks, but I repaired all the damage, and was left with a bone stock jeep, in remarkably good shape.

So... I've decided to put a lift and some bigger tires on this thing, and have some fun with it this summer. I've read through pages upon pages of the forum, looked at a ton of the vehicles on here that are already lifted, and decided to go with the Iron Rock 4.5" kit. I have opted for the kit that comes with control arms, but this is where my first question comes in. Is it worth the $160 to get the adjustable arms? Its really not a TON of money, but If its not going to benefit me, (still be used as a daily driver mostly) I'll put the money to something more beneficial.

Secondly, I would like to run 33x12.5 tires, and it seems that there are some with that size tire, but not a lot is mentioned other than there is trimming/bumper removal going on. Any other issues to look out for/reasons to go smaller?

And third, I want to know what else I should be looking at to keep this setup safe and "reliable". The kit comes with relocation mounts for brake lines, but I'm wondering if I need to spring for longer lines right away.

Any input, good or bad is appreciated. I certainly don't want to do this wrong, or be the guy that "stacks 3 sets of bb's and shoots springs at kids"

Thanks guys.

sejamis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
sejamis
1998 ZJ 

I guess its helpful to add that I have the 5.2L and full time 4x4 (249?) t-case.
sejamis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Wade3114
1993 ZJ 

Yes, defiantly go with adjustable CA's
and im pretty sure you have to re gear for 33'' but i could be wrong.
Wade3114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

you dont need the adjustable but it is a good idea so that you are able to dial in your geometry correctly and fine tune it to get it as accurate as possible.

as far as reasons to go smaller you can get better performance (acceleration and stuff) and economy out of a smaller tire. but to fit a 33x12.5 you will likely need to trim. i know there was a write up where a guy showed exactly what he did for a 33x12.5 on 4.5"

i dont think you would need to regear. even though it would bring your performance and economy back to a more stock level i dont think it would be too bad at all with the 5.2. not worth the money for what you get IMO.
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Minivan
2001 WJ 

Look into the front drive shaft upgrade, highly recommended, unless you don't do ANY wheeling. Then it might live for a while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.