IRO Adjustable control arm installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > IRO Adjustable control arm installation

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 05-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

IRO Adjustable control arm installation

Got my control arms in today! WOO!! haha

Now I'm not planning on installing these on the lift at our shop, I was wanting to do it in the garage, because we will be having a fish fry and having some beer and what not... BUT.. All I have at home is a floor jack..

I should be good with just using the floor jack for the upper and lower adjustable control arms right? I'm doing just the front...

Also, planning on taking a control arm off and installing a new one, and doing them one by one.

I'm planning on lengthening the control arms by 1/2" for both uppers and both lowers...

Anyone know ABOUT the right length for all four arms, before I start playing trial and error lol

Any advice or tips would be great, should I add more beer? lol

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Opps, sorry I have the 3.5" IRO lift with double stacked isolator pads in the front so I really have about a 4" lift.

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 05-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Bump, I need to know if I can install the adjustables with just using a floor jack on one side of the front axle to get the new control arms in, and once that side is done move to the other... do I HAVE to use floor stands?

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 05-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
joshsmithers
1994 ZJ 

When I did my F>R swap, I also did my LCAs at the same time. To determine the apporximate length, I used pythagorean theorem. I'm not quite sure this is the best way to do it, but it always gave me a slightly longer length and it turned out working alright. The equation looked like this:

A²+B²=C² Or....
Original arm length² + Lift Height² = Adjustable arm length² This works because you know approxiamtely how much you're lifting by (3.5") and you know the stock arm length once you take it out. So we have:

Original arm length² + 12.25 = Adjustable arm length²

I took out one stock LCA, measured it from center to center. That goes into equation, then I can solve for my new LCA length from there.

Like I said, I'm not sure this is the best way to do it, and I'm not sure it would work for your uppers either, but it suited me just fine.
joshsmithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmithers View Post
When I did my F>R swap, I also did my LCAs at the same time. To determine the apporximate length, I used pythagorean theorem. I'm not quite sure this is the best way to do it, but it always gave me a slightly longer length and it turned out working alright. The equation looked like this:

A²+B²=C² Or....
Original arm length² + Lift Height² = Adjustable arm length² This works because you know approxiamtely how much you're lifting by (3.5") and you know the stock arm length once you take it out. So we have:

Original arm length² + 12.25 = Adjustable arm length²

I took out one stock LCA, measured it from center to center. That goes into equation, then I can solve for my new LCA length from there.

Like I said, I'm not sure this is the best way to do it, and I'm not sure it would work for your uppers either, but it suited me just fine.
I'll try and to see if it actually works lol, but I will probably start off at 1/2" longer than stock and adjust from there, MY MAIN QUESTION IS:

Do I need floor stands? Or can I just lift the driver side with the jack stand until I can swap out the control arms, then move jack over to passenger side axle and lift that side up and do that side.

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 05-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
joshsmithers
1994 ZJ 

I'm not sure, it might be hard to get the axle where you need it to be to install the new arms. At the very least you'd have to lift the entire front end, that way the front axle has full play and you get it where you need it to be. Then you could do the rear end. I did mine on a lift at the shop, and even then I had to use a jack to move the axles up and down.
joshsmithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

It is possible, but will be a giant PITA. When I did mine we had the entire front end of the Jeep up on jack stands, used the jack and ratchet straps to adjust the axle to where it needs to be.

Highly suggest jack stands, either borrow them or buy a set.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Wasn't wanting to pick up floor stands, but I guess it'll definitely be worth it and worth the time. Thanks y'all

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 05-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARIS88 View Post
Wasn't wanting to pick up floor stands, but I guess it'll definitely be worth it and worth the time. Thanks y'all
Safer too
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

I'm doing the upper arms right now, what is the most popular way of doing these. I'm trying to measure them out a 1/2 inch longer than the stock ones just like I did for the bottom. The uppers have TWO holes on the adjustable side and ONE hole on the other, which of the two holes should I use to measure?

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 05-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

YAY! Control arms in the front are DONE! Original bushings and arms looked a little beat up! ha HUGE IMPROVEMENT!

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.