IRO 4'' LA install complete!!!! post install questions (pics to come) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > IRO 4'' LA install complete!!!! post install questions (pics to come)

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
FrankTheDank
1999 WJ 

IRO 4'' LA install complete!!!! post install questions (pics to come)

first off thanks for all the help, 3 months ago there is no way i could have done this, second i promise pics will come, camera and computer not cooperating.....

post install questions

T case drop, the spacers and brackets mount under the transmission cross member, this does space out the coss member but the t-case stays where it is, this does provide more room for the front drive shaft to droop.?

adjustable track bar, ordered the adj track bar w/ the kit, by the time we had it sized up and the axle pulled into place and had installed it, was roughly the same length as my stock one?

alignment, when i put in my bb the stering wheel was still ''straight'' when the jeep went straight, with the 4'' it's now turned 90* in order to go straight, pitman arm adjustment? just an alignment?, (getting one tomorrow)

Thanks For all the help

Frank

p.s. i'll get pics up asap

FrankTheDank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Leave the T case drop alone, you shouldn't need one until 6"+ of lift. They come with the kit so that it lessens the angle your driveshaft it at, at both the pinion and transfer case. Most of the time the angle is fine at 4" and it is not needed.

The track bar should be longer than stock, re-check your measurements. Your steering wheel being off is because you adjusted your track bar (so no, it's not the same length as stock). If you get it aligned, they will adjust it for you (the draglink is what it's called, btw)
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Bl@ck06Rubi
2004 WJ 

Trac Bar centers the axle under the body/frame...Steering wheel is off because the drag link needs adjusting and you need to set your toe...4 inches up causes the steering linkage to move up as well making the wheel off center and throwing the front end out of alingment...

Set your "Toe-in" first then center your steering wheel once thats done...
Bl@ck06Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
FrankTheDank
1999 WJ 

thanks for all the quick info!! , while were on the topic of alignment, i got 3 of my 4 32's friday ( #4 got lost on the way and will be here mon or tues), should i wait untill i get the new tires on there before i get everything aligned?\

Thanks
FrankTheDank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

Get your new tires on, align it the best you can yourself and then take it off road and do lots of flexing. You don`t want to pay for an alignment only to have your springs settle causing the need for another alignment.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl@ck06Rubi View Post
Trac Bar centers the axle under the body/frame...Steering wheel is off because the drag link needs adjusting and you need to set your toe...4 inches up causes the steering linkage to move up as well making the wheel off center and throwing the front end out of alingment...

Set your "Toe-in" first then center your steering wheel once thats done...
Toe in has nothing to do with the steering wheel being centered. Tires won't affect your alignment so you can get it aligned whenever, but the sooner the better.
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
MACHJGC
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
Toe in has nothing to do with the steering wheel being centered. Tires won't affect your alignment so you can get it aligned whenever, but the sooner the better.
I actually disagree with that statement. If you adjust toe in (lengthening or shortening the tierod) it will affect the position of the draglink then.
Bumper & Roof Lights
MACHJGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHJGC View Post
I actually disagree with that statement. If you adjust toe in (lengthening or shortening the tierod) it will affect the position of the draglink then.
Ya know what, now that I picture it, it might. However, unless your toe is waaaaay out of spec, it should not mess with the position of the steering that badly.

My brain hurts from over thinking this now...
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHJGC View Post
for every one turn you make on the tie rod you will have to turn the drag link 1/2 of a turn in the opposite direction. It is effected by 1/2 the tie rod.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheDank View Post
first off thanks for all the help, 3 months ago there is no way i could have done this, second i promise pics will come, camera and computer not cooperating.....

post install questions

T case drop, the spacers and brackets mount under the transmission cross member, this does space out the coss member but the t-case stays where it is, this does provide more room for the front drive shaft to droop.?

adjustable track bar, ordered the adj track bar w/ the kit, by the time we had it sized up and the axle pulled into place and had installed it, was roughly the same length as my stock one?

alignment, when i put in my bb the stering wheel was still ''straight'' when the jeep went straight, with the 4'' it's now turned 90* in order to go straight, pitman arm adjustment? just an alignment?, (getting one tomorrow)

Thanks For all the help

Frank

p.s. i'll get pics up asap
T case is bolted up to the transmission, so by dropping the trans cross member one inch, you are effectively lowering the transmission and transfer case, thus decreasing both driveshaft angles. That said, you don't need it, but if you have a CV driveshaft, you'll want to change it to U joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ-Orvis View Post
Get your new tires on, align it the best you can yourself and then take it off road and do lots of flexing. You don`t want to pay for an alignment only to have your springs settle causing the need for another alignment.
Firestone lifetime alignment. It pains me to trust firestone to do anything to the Jeep, but for $160 you can get as many alignments as you want for as long as you own the vehicle. Wheel hard every weekend, free alignment every monday.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.