Intermittent rough idle cold and hot. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Intermittent rough idle cold and hot.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
bjl95mustang
1998 ZJ 

Intermittent rough idle cold and hot.

In the mornings I will stop for gas about 1 mile from my house. When Iím pulling out of the lot it will stumble when I accelerate. But on the highway itís fine.

After I have been driving for a while and she is nice and warmed up I have some issues. When Iím sitting at a light my rpmís will drop and I can my engine stumble. It seems like itís miss firing. But once Iím moving she is just fine.

I just did a tune-up a couple months ago. Cap, rotor, plugs, and the wires are about 2 years old.

Where should I start checking? I have not had a CEL.

4.5" Lift: RE 4.5" springs,Iro rear 3.5 springs+1" spacer, RE shocks, All adjustable arms, IRO front track bar and HD bracket, Rear jks track bar, 1-Ton Steering, 242 tc, 33x12.5x15 GoodYear wrangler silent tires, 15" rock crawler rims, Aussie Locker For My 44A, 760X u-joint front axles.

Soon to come Lock Right Front Locker.

Jeep Inferno member #10

Texas Jeep Club Member #78
bjl95mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

Have you cleaned the IAC? Checked out the TPS?
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
cmonson

when this starts happening, and you don't have any codes, I would start by taking your throttle body off and cleaning it so it looks like new. This could help, and the costs are free.

If that doesn't do the trick, then I would replace the IAC, then the TPS.

On a 98 (12 years old) the TB could be very carbonated and thus create problems. Clean out the small orface very well also.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

stumble upon acceleration usually indicates a tps that's on the way out. You can further diagnose by idling in park and very very slowly depressing the accelerator a little by little. Usually a bad tps will not notice this slow change until you've depressed the pedal a good bit. Then it will jump up to say 1K or so, so you should see a hesitation. When this jump occurs keep your foot at that position and release the pedal very slowly to the end, it will most likely cause a rough idle.

If changing the tps I would just get a new iac to go with it, two birds one stone.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.