Intermittant Sentry Immobilizer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Intermittant Sentry Immobilizer

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
Johnny B
1999 WJ 

Intermittant Sentry Immobilizer

Has anyone come across this..... 1999 WJ, 4.0, 120000 mi, bought it new.

For the last couple of weeks while driving I would catch a glimpse of the Sentry warning in the instrument panel (circle with the key.) It has been starting/running fine since new. The light would come and go with no regular pattern and it did it with 3 different drivers, 2 OEM keys and 1 ebay spare. I didn't pay too much attention to it!

4-5 days ago... the Sentry Key Immobilizer System kills engine after about 2-3 secs. The key light on the instrument panel is illuminated. I just happen to have my spare set of keys with me. I try the other key and it starts up and runs fine. The light is off... Hmmm, ok, bad key??

last night, the SKIS kills the engine again. I lock the doors and go in the house to get my cell phone. I come back out, unlock doors and try to start it again. On the 3rd try it starts/runs fine. Now i'm thinking it has something to do with the locks/alarm??

Today, after about 5 shopping stops, it leaves me stranded at PETCO. No combination of anything will make it run. Of coarse I don't have tools! I give up and call for a tow truck to get it home. A long story and a $75 tow later it starts/runs fine again!

So my questions..... How often do the SKIS Modules fail? Is it unusual? How can I check for a failed module? Maybe, it is a short in the harness, does anyone have experience with a bad harness in the steering column??

Also, I remember reading something about trying/failing too many times in a row. If it locks me out, is there any way to reset the ECM? I thought I read about killing power and grounding the ECM, but I can't find it again.

Please help me troubleshoot this problem. Any and all suggestions welcome. Sorry for the long post. Thanks, Jb

Last edited by Johnny B; 10-25-2009 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: spelling, can't edit title!
Johnny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
20jeepwj00
2000 WJ 

we have changed some skim modules on the wj,not a lot but this couldbe you problem especially if it does it with multiple keys.have the skim module scanned it should have a stored code which will help to determine what it might be.
20jeepwj00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
Johnny B
1999 WJ 

Would the stored code for the SKIM module be the same as the DTC? I pulled code P1685 from the instrument panel???

fwiw, I popped the steering column cover off looking for obvious signs of loose or damaged wires. Everything looks fine. No chafing, pinches, cuts, etc. Today the Jeep acted normal. It started fine about 4 times on the way to & from work.

Thanks for the reply...Jb

Unread 10-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
20jeepwj00
2000 WJ 

yea,its the same,you may have a loss of comm code with the skim module or invalid key code,but the issue is probobly the skim module.
20jeepwj00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Johnny B
1999 WJ 

Ok, thanks for the info. Seems like the dealer is the only way out! How much, if any, of the repair can I do before taking the vehicle in? ....Jb
Unread 10-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
jennzjeep
1999 WJ 

The same thing happened to me a few months back. I have a 99 WJ also. At that point it had about 115,000 miles on it. The light would come on then go off. No problems starting or running. Then all of a sudden one day, I started the jeep and about 3 seconds later it cut off. Long story short, i had to take it to the dealer. I had to replace the immobilizer and get 2 new keys. All because the system stopped reading my keys. So the whole dang thing needed replaced. All together with labor and everything it cost approx $400.00. Jeep has been running fine ever since. (it better be)
jennzjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
bigwill5112
1999 WJ 

I have had the same problem for a year. Heard the sensor was in the steering column... ??? Have taken note that when I walk out in my garage my headlights are on??? Somethin to do with wires. I just adjust the steering column and then she runs, lol. I hope people read this cuz it seriously works. Eventually one day it won't...maybe. I am happy now though!!!
bigwill5112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.