Intermitent Backfiring 4.0 Common Cure? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Intermitent Backfiring 4.0 Common Cure?

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 02-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
pinion
1998 ZJ 

Intermitent Backfiring 4.0 Common Cure?

1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0 120k

so this problem has been plaguing me for a while now.. It is very intermittent and I just can not seem to track down what the sam hill is going on. 99% of the time when I start the Jeep in the morning or after work, it starts up and idles fine. I let it start coming up to temp and then after I start to drive it at light throttle the Jeep will buck, sputter, backfire and have almost a complete loss of power. Usually I can put it in neutral , rev it up a bit and go about my business. After this happens it will drive fine for the rest of my trip and sometimes it will run perfectly for days with no problems at all.

I have searched all of the threads and the question keeps coming up but nobody says Here is the cure, I fixed mine.

It seems to be a common problem in Jeeps over 10 years old and over 100,000 miles.

Is something loose in my catalytic converter and blocking my exhaust temporarily?

It acts like it is vacuum related because it always seem to happen under light load while cruising.

Any thoughts or how you cured your intermitent backfire

pinion is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.