Interior roof liner comming unglued, - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Interior roof liner comming unglued,

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
a70eliminator

Interior roof liner comming unglued,

I drove my wifes Orvis to work the other day and noticed about 50 pushpins in her roof. She said "I told you a year ago the roof was falling down" The liner is completely loose and her little pin arrangement gives it a roll and tuck look, kinda neat.
Anyhow it's only the felt that has come loose, I pulled one edge loose and tryed some spray adhesive and it sorta soaked through and made a big mess of it, should have just left her pushpin set up alone, now I have to do something with it and it looks like pulling it completely out is going to be a pain, anyone had this happen? and what was your remedy?

a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Balboa
1994 ZJ 

Pretty common. The only real solution is to completely remove the headliner and install new upholstery material. Some here have done this themselves. Try search. Otherwise most any auto upholstery shop can do it. With the cost of that, pushpins start to look pretty good.

Mine has sagged some in a couple of spots, but is not too bad yet. I used those short spiral pins that you can get at a sewing supply store.

Mark
Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

I just ripped the whole damn thing out and left it out lol

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

what is it like underneath? material? color?
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ive done a few headliners and what worked for me is:
Get some upholstery adhesive.. Get the spray on not foaming crap.
Spray on the foam NOT the fabric and LET DRY completely ( this is important other wise the glue will soak into your fabric, become hard and look like doo-doo).
Unread 02-17-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Check this place out. headliner stuff I used one of their kits when I did my '95 Cherokee, color match was great and the instructions were good for prep work and install.
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
AppSt59Dave
2012 WK 

my wife works for Elmer's (the glue company of course) and has a spray adhesive....think that would be sufficient? gonna be a pain in the arse trying to make sure it doesnt wrinkle...only spot on mine that is sagging is at the rear speaker bar.
AppSt59Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
I just ripped the whole damn thing out and left it out lol
Me too.

Who cares what it looks like. Its a Jeep.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

I like the look of it without it personally

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
doomi
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimzOneDave View Post
my wife works for Elmer's (the glue company of course) and has a spray adhesive....think that would be sufficient? gonna be a pain in the arse trying to make sure it doesnt wrinkle...only spot on mine that is sagging is at the rear speaker bar.
Personally I would take the whole thing down and recover it. I did mine a few weeks back and it's not hard work at all. But, first I would make sure you have the fiberglass headliner as I've heard the cardboard is a huge pain. And unless it's made for headliners I personally wouldn't use the Elmer's stuff.

1) Purchase new headliner material. I got mine from Hancock fabrics (specifically labeled for headliners) and it is already foam backed.
2) Purchase headliner spray adhesive from the parts store. I used the 3M stuff for lightweight headliner. I was afraid the heavy duty stuff would soak through.
3) Take old headliner out of jeep
4) Remove fabric from old headliner.
5) Scrape off foam/adhesive residue (if you don't have a grinding wheel with wire brush, I found an old grill brush with wire bristles worked well).
6) Cut new headliner to size.
7) Follow directions on spray adhesive to recover. It's not difficult at all to avoid wrinkles if you aren't trying to do it still in the Jeep.
8) Reinstall headliner.

This should take approximately eight beers to complete.

Total cost for me including material and adhesives (I used three cans) was about 50 bucks... but I did have a 40% off coupon for the fabric.
doomi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
southside
1997 ZJ 

I recovered mine last fall. I didn't cover the steps/dips in the headliner well enough, so it started to drop ever-so-slightly in certain areas, so I pulled it down again and re-sprayed the adhesive. I'm letting it cure a little longer this time, in warmer weather(as directed), so it should last a couple years before needing another spray.

Once you remove the headliner from the car(I had a fiberglass headliner), strip the existing fabric, and clean the foam padding from the fiberglass with a thick wire brush. The brush I used had extremely stiff metal bristles. I was able to clear the whole thing of foam in under 30 minutes. I then used a leaf blower to make sure there was no dust left on the fiberglass before spraying down the Super Trim Spray Adhesive(http://www.sailrite.com/3M-08090-Super-Trim-Adhesive). Give it a liberal coating of the glue. I used three and a half cans of this stuff. Let it sit for 5 or so minutes, then have someone help you lay the fabric of your choice down over the headliner. Make sure you leave a few inches of excess fabric around all the edges(you'll need the extra material to hot glue to the back-side). You'll need to work quickly to press the fabric around all the curves. Once you've got it all patted down, let it dry for a couple hours. After it's dried, you can start stretching the fabric around all the tough spots, trimming where there's too much excess around corners and such. I used a hot glue gun to secure the fabric to the back side to the fiberglass. After you've pulled all the edges and corners tight and glued them in place, you can go back and cut out all the holes before putting it up in the car, or you can just do the overhead console slot, and leave the rest intact until you go to reinstall the handles and visors. I left it all intact and trimmed in the car after getting it to sit correctly between the B and C pillars.

Here's a pic of it after I installed it.
southside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
AppSt59Dave
2012 WK 

DUDE, shaggin wagon!!! thats smooth!
AppSt59Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
808Defender
2000 WJ 

^^^ Nice I want you to roll over that jeep so I can lay on the roof with a nice down comforter and memory foam pillows!
808Defender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
southside
1997 ZJ 

hehehe...it's as soft and plush as it looks.
plaid flannel!
southside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Totally diggin on the flanel liner! Lol. Very nice.

I had mine professionally redone and called it good. $175 bucks and it'll be good for another 10-15 years.

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.