Interior roof liner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Interior roof liner

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 10-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
leton

Interior roof liner

I know this is not necessarily a Jeep question, but the liner on my Grand Cherokee is coming off a bit from driving with the window down. What type of adhesive would be best to tack that down?

leton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
Animal Mother

mine did that too so i just stuck a safety pin in it to keep it up.
Unread 10-16-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

nothing works... it just make a nasty looking mess...... the glue will bleed thru....

i fixed mine with a knife.....

doesnt look great but looks way better than cloth hanging down everywhere
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

i cut all the headliner out ,,then vacuumed the foam off
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

DIY headliner

The only attractive way to repair this is to completely replace the headliner material. I've not done this on my JGC, but I have done it on my Volvo wagon. I gotta think it's pretty much the same process.
  • remove the headliner completely by removing any interior parts, panels, clip, including visors, overhead consoles, lights, etc.
  • take the entire panel out the rear door. be careful to not break the board, it's a fairly thin fiberglass/fiberboard type thing.
  • lay the headliner upside down on a sheet of plywood. Up on sawhorses keps it at working height. Upside down means soft, cloth side up, this is what you will be removing.
  • peel the cloth off, it will leave behind the deteriorating foam. the foam is what fails and makes the headliner fall in the first place.
  • using a wire or stiff plastic brush, "scrub" the foam off the headliner panel. This will be messy!! Scrub, vacuum, scrub vacuum, wear a mask. You will be able to get almost all of the stuff off, don't be surprised if whats left feels kind of gummy. Just get it fairly smooth.
  • Here's what you need to buy: headliner material at an upholstery shop, sold by the yard, and 3M Super Trim Adhesive, accept no substitute. The right adhesive is what will keep you from redoing this in 6 months. The "Heads-Up" brand you can get at the corner parts store is crap!!
  • lay the new fabric over the headliner panel and trim it to fit, leaving a little extra all the way around.
  • Okay, now the fun part. Fold the material back 1/2 way. In other words, from the front of the headliner, fold the cloth back so 1/2 of the board is exposed. You will now have 1/2 the board exposed and 1/2 of the back of the fabric.
  • Spray the exposed part of the board with the adhesive, and spray the back of the foam that's exposed. Coat heavily, but don't soak the cloth or it wil bleed through.
  • Folow the instructions on the can for the time to wait before you press these two together
  • When ready, begin foldingthe two "glued" halves together from the middle, smoothing as you go. Don't try to stetch the headliner material, it will only pull loose later. Take your time, you have more time than you think. Don't worry about cut-outs or anything now, you can do that later
  • Now fold back the other 1/2 and repeat the above steps.
  • Let it sit overnight, then trim the material fairly close around the outside, leaving about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch extra. Now cut out holes such as overhead lights, visors, etc.
  • In the immortal words of Chilton manuals everywhere, installation is the reverse of removal!!
  • Should be it, except for putting up with the adhesive smell for a few days
  • If you have a sunroof, this is likely way more complicated!

I make no claim to know exactly how to remove which interior panels, just giving you the general steps to replacing the fabric.

Give it a shot, it's not that hard, and can save you a few hundred $ over what an upholstery shop wold charge you.

Doing a temp fix with the headliner material you've got to now is just that, temporary. Once the foam begins to seperate, it will continue. Even if you glue up the corner that's loose now, it will look like crap, AND it will droop somewhere else in a few months.

I'm a big advocate of doing it right once, not doing it wrong 18 times!

(former) 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo
77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5

Last edited by leftfield6; 10-17-2005 at 06:15 AM..
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

If you go to Auto Zone or similar, they sell an arosol can of headliner adhesive. Assuming the foam backing is sound, simply spray the adhesive on, let it set as per instructions, then press the fabric back in place.
Voila!

HTH
Unread 10-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

new mod idea

over the weekend, one of the auto shows, (i can't remember which). i saw a carbon fiber head liner for a car. I wonder if there are for a jeep?

Good idea for a mod for some creative aftermarket company.
3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.