interior lights wont go off on 98 grand cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > interior lights wont go off on 98 grand cherokee

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
jeepyard
1993 ZJ 

interior lights wont go off on 98 grand cherokee

I am new to the forums and I have read several that have helped me out alot on the jeeps that i have.I got 2 93 grand cherokees, 2 98 grands and 1 93 sport. I just got my 93 changed over from a 249 tf case to a 231 and I like it alot better now. does anybody know where i can get a correct bezel for a grand cherokee with a 231? Also i have read several threads on here bout interior lights on my 98 staying on but im kinda unclear on what to do to try on it. I have pulled the fuses to keep it from runnung the battery down. I went from door to door and ohmed out all the door switches and they all seem to be good. does the hatch have a switch too? I have looked but havent located one back there. Just wondering what to check or try next. Any help is appreciated! Thanks Chad

jeepyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

If the VIC is not griping about a door being open, it's probably the roller switch in the light module on the dash. I'm assuming it's all the courtesy and dome lamps that will not turn off.

Yes the hatch has a switch, not sure where it is
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
TewSmooth18
1997 ZJ 

If your VIC isnt showing a door being open on the VIC display, then it's nothing to do with your switches. I am having the same issue with my 97 GC. I've checked EVERYTHING. After all testing, i've determined that it is a faulty BCM (Body Control Module). 800.00 bucks to replace. I'll live with no interior lights lol

easy way to test the roller switch in the light module, just remove the entire module from the dash and unplug it. put all fuses back in for your interior lights, and then close the door, if the lights go out, you know it's the switch, if they stay on with the light module unplugged, then you know that's good (was given this info from a jeep mechanic from a chrysler dealership
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Mine acted up once and it was the driver's side light switch near the door latch on the body. I hit it with some contact cleaner, punched it in and out a few times and it started working again.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I just pulled the fuse because I don't have time to screw around with electrical nonsense.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Rear cargo lite switch on??
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
r34civic
1997 TJ Wrangler 

same happened here, the driver door wasnt pushing the switch in all the way, nothing cardboard and ducttape wont fix
r34civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
jeepyard
1993 ZJ 

it doesnt have a VIC under the heater controls, its a two wheel drive so nothing really down there.All door switches are good. The interior lights used to stay on for bout 30 seconds and then they would go off but they just started staying on all the time and i havent had no luck figuring out what to check next. the BCM seems to be working because when u start driving all the doors will lock and the door buzzer/bell works when the doors are open and quits sounding when the doors are closed. And if its dark and you turn the car off and then turn the headlights off the headlights will stay on for bout 30 of 40 seconds and then they will automatically go off which i seem to think that the BCM is still working properly. Im going to the dealership tomorrow to check on a bezel for my 93 grand and i have a friend there that said he would print me a wiring diagram of the BCM and interior lighting so maybe i can trace this down. I will keep yall posted and thanks for the suggestions!!!
jeepyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
TewSmooth18
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyard View Post
the BCM seems to be working because when u start driving all the doors will lock and the door buzzer/bell works when the doors are open and quits sounding when the doors are closed. And if its dark and you turn the car off and then turn the headlights off the headlights will stay on for bout 30 of 40 seconds and then they will automatically go off which i seem to think that the BCM is still working properly.
still possible that it's the BCM. the BCM is bad in mine as well but my auto lights stay on after shutting it off for so long and then go off by them selves, i get the chime when the key is in the ignition. the BCM controls ALOT of different things, just because 1 thing in the BCM isnt working, doesnt mean that EVERYTHING it controls will stop working. (Told this by the dealership)
Unread 01-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
nyjdmevo
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i have a 94 and this is happening even when driving the lights stay on it is driving me nuts i even had to unplug the upper console cause the dome lights stayed on
nyjdmevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Courtesy Lamp Relay is controlled by the BCM. So either the BCM is holding the relay closed or the relay is stuck. Swap the relay out with another of the same type next to it. (Lights should go out with relay pulled)

CL Relay is located in the Junction Block, inside passenger side kick panel. Second from the top, second from the forward edge.
If swapping the relay doesn't help, check the relay control input from the BCM. Need to close the doors and wait for the timeout period.

Pull the relay and refer to the pic for pin numbers.

The relay normally has 12v on Pin-86
To activate the relay, the BCM grounds Pin-85

Using a voltmeter, if you read 12v across Pins 85 and 86, then the BCM is holding the relay closed and your lights stay on.

30 - relay output
85 - relay control from BCM
86 - 12v
87 - ground

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
merlot2twisty
1997 ZJ 

I just got done tracking this demon myself. I tried everything you saw above and the lights stayed on.

I read somewhere that one guy unplugged the connector from the bottom of the BCM (there are 3..2 on the rear, one on the bottom) This worked for me, but it also meant that I had no dome lights when I opened my doors, since the sensors for all the door switches are in that bundle.

Well, I wasn't happy with that. It was clear that one of the 10 or so wires in that bundle was what was causing it, since plugging it back in resulted in the dome lights failing again. So, I went whole-hog. I cut the whole connector off and started reconnecting the wires one by one. Turns out that all my door switches were just fine. The problem was in the VTSS Disable (Yiolet/Yellow) Wire. If I connected that wire, the problem came back, so I left it hang there.

What this means for me, though is that I cannot disable the VTSS with a key in any of my locks. I can ONLY disable it from the fob. I plan to do some more tracing of this issue in the future. I checked the wire coming from the harness and there was 6.xx volts on it. I am still waiting on my FSM to arrive, so I will check this in more detail later.

Long and short of this post: Pull that connector. If that solves the problem, check to see if you get some goofy voltage on the Violet/Yellow wire. If you do, try disconnecting that wire, but make sure you leave enough on the ends so that you can reconnect it later.

Good luck!
merlot2twisty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

VTSS disarm inputs on your VT/YL wire come from...

Liftgate lock cylinder switch
Driver front lock cylinder switch
Passenger front lock cylinder switch

One of these (or wiring) might be grounded.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #14
merlot2twisty
1997 ZJ 

Oh, they're not GROUNDED... one of them has voltage on it. I'm sure it's one of the sensors or the wiring... I just need to track it down. However, for now, I can live with having to use the fob.
merlot2twisty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
9zjlimited8
1998 ZJ 

Did you ever figure out what was causing the issue?
9zjlimited8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.