interior lights stay on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > interior lights stay on

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Missyj81
1994 ZJ 

interior lights stay on

So im gettin ready for spring......fixin all the little stuff that annoyed me. My interior lights always stay on, had pull the bulbs out, it was the only way. This includes the rear hatch light, the dome ceiling light. Ps i hate electrical so try to explain in the most simplistic way possible

Missyj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Mlarv
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyj81 View Post
So im gettin ready for spring......fixin all the little stuff that annoyed me. My interior lights always stay on, had pull the bulbs out, it was the only way. This includes the rear hatch light, the dome ceiling light. Ps i hate electrical so try to explain in the most simplistic way possible
Well most likely it will be a door switch or the lift gate switch. On mine it is caused by the Lift gate switch. I have to rebuild it one of these days
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
classicmetalman

X2 on what Mlarv said. Don't dig electrical myself, but if your gonna address, gonna have to pull off some panels n check. As long as you can deal with the bother of no interior lights and your battery is not draining.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
BigJohn96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Not trying to be a smartazz but why didnt you just pull the fuse?
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Missyj81
1994 ZJ 

Did that too
Missyj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
jeepyard
1993 ZJ 

What model is your jeep? Check a thread I wrote titled "interior lights wont go off on 98 grand cherokee" I worked on mine on and off for bout two years abd finally got the interior lights on mine fixed. Read up on that post I mentioned earlier and see if any of that info helps!!
jeepyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Some times the door switch needs just a little extra help . One easy fix is to get those little pads you put on the legs of chairs at Wal-Mart . Just stick them on the door where the switch contacts it . Works like a charm .

You can hold the switch manually with your finger , see if the lights go out after a minute or just out them on all 4 doors . My issue was on the drivers door .

Post back if it works or , doesn't
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Some times the door switch needs just a little extra help . One easy fix is to get those little pads you put on the legs of chairs at Wal-Mart . Just stick them on the door where the switch contacts it . Works like a charm .

You can hold the switch manually with your finger , see if the lights go out after a minute or just out them on all 4 doors . My issue was on the drivers door .

Post back if it works or , doesn't
+1 on this ^^^

I had a similar issue, though my interior lights would seem to randomly come on as I was driving down the road, then off, then back on after a few moments, etc. I found all I needed to do was lubricate the switch and voila! Works like it did when it rolled off the assembly line.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I had this problem too... I bet dolars to doughnuts that the hinge pin bushings on your door are worn out and the door is lower at the switch...If the lights go out when you push in the switch I bet thats your problem.. Try replacing those and see how that works
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
patricknotstar

Ok so I have a 98 jeep grand Cherokee laredo and the interior lights won't go off unless I pull the fuse under the glove box, I checked the door switches and even unplugged some of them and nothing happened, I'm not sure but could it have somthing to do with the onboard computer. On a side note my gauges won't come on when I start it somtimes and last night, hitting it seemed to do the trick. So any help on either of these isues would be appreciated
patricknotstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My issue happened to be the purple/yellow stripe wire that goes into the BCM. Seems like it was traced over to the passenger side alarm switch that clips onto the back of the lock cylinder. Snipped it and the lights go off like normal, however this opened up a can of worms with the alarm.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
patricknotstar

k so I Had a problem recently with interior lights staying on and having to pull the relay under the glove box and my remote unlock for the drivers side door would not work, so anyway I took the panel off the door to see if it might be sticking and noticed a loose connection near the door latch so plugged it all the way in and now both interior lights and drivers side lock work.. I think because the wire was not connected all the way the system thought it was being unlocked therefore keeping the lights on.. hope this helps somone else in need
patricknotstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
jzoomer
1998 ZJ 

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but have u tried turning off the rear cargo light, when I bought my zj the int lights stayed on while driving no matter the time, after some research I found out the rear most cargo light is actually a button and push it and it "clicks" off and on, when its clicked on every light in the jeep stays on, when clicked off they operate as designed...
jzoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
jeepin87
1998 ZJ 

My door hinges were worn and the door struck low When I closed it, bad enough it cracked under the door switch and would push in not letting the switch work correctly. Kicked my *** for 2 weeks figuring out why the lights would sometimes stay on and other times not. I even shimmed the switch. So I eventually found the root cause of the problem and replaced the hinge pins, then welded the crack on the door. Good as new.
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited 4.5" LA/33"s
1999 WJ 4.0 Limited
2003 Ram 1500 w/built 12v cummins
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins tow rig
jeepin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzoomer View Post
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but have u tried turning off the rear cargo light, when I bought my zj the int lights stayed on while driving no matter the time, after some research I found out the rear most cargo light is actually a button and push it and it "clicks" off and on, when its clicked on every light in the jeep stays on, when clicked off they operate as designed...
^^^THIS^^^....Found this out the hard way also. One other thing is make sure the dimmer switch is not all the way up. That will turn the lights on also.
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.