Interior lights flashing on an off! 1994 Grand cherokee ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Interior lights flashing on an off! 1994 Grand cherokee ZJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
minibbb

Interior lights flashing on an off! 1994 Grand cherokee ZJ

Hi

Ive only had my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a couple of weeks but had to replace the battery yesterday as the old one was knackered.

I noticed that both the headlight and interior lights can be a bit dody in that the headlights will sometimes stay on after ive switvhed off the switch, usually solved by turning the key in the ignition and switching off the switch again.

Also, when I leave the car unattended I have to wait to see if the interior lights will turn off as sometimes they decide to stay on!

Ive just looked out of the window and seen the interior lights flicking on and off! Any idea how I can sort this as this is going to screw up the new battery if not!

Many thanks!

minibbb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
LeCoq
1999 WJ 

Same problems here with my 98. I think the interior light problems might be relating to the latch/switch on my trunk hatch. I've noticed that when I'm having the interior lights staying on and I go to the back seat and push on the rear hatch the lights go off. I'll try to play with it if I have time this weekend.
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Madkm

I just bought my jeep a few weeks ago also. And it is doing the same thing with the lights.. i hit a bump or turn it will beep and say back hatch is open.. ANY suggestions on how to fix it??
Madkm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
LeCoq
1999 WJ 

I unplugged the sensor at the bottom of the latch in the rear hatch for now...I think that sensor is bad but I'm waiting to get my hands on a new one to confirm.
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
danjmcs
1998 ZJ 

Just wanted to say thanks for the various threads found here, including this one, our 98 Grand Cherokee started doing "haunted" things as my girlfriend put it, heh. First just once in awhile she'd go over a bump and the interior lights would flash on and off and over time it had gotten more and more common to happen on lesser bumps.

Last week the alarm went off in the middle of the night so that was pretty much the last straw for me, so started investigating and sure enough, thanks to all the threads here, it pointed me to the rear glass hatch switch. I couldn't tell you the last time we actually opened that glass part of the hatch, nor could she, and she bought it new in 98.

Long story short, removed that rear plastic cover on the rear hatch to access the wiring and removed the sensor that just snaps onto the end of the latch mechanism for the glass hatch and the issue has gone away. For as little as we've ever used it, not sure its worth replacing the switch, and I dont see someone trying to break into it through that window when they can see the alarm is on anyway.

Here are a couple other threads I read through to help point me in the right direction.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...n-help-880248/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...issing-449981/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/o...-glass-507501/

Dan
danjmcs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
Louie619
1997 ZJ 

Many times, the problem is the door switch.
We have seen many posts that say that the door needs to be slammed shut to get the lights to go out.
We lived with the blinking lights for years till I started thinking about what could be activating them.
Part source: Dealer $16, or Autozone or Rock Auto $4-to $6-
Louie619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.