Interior lights come on by themselves - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Interior lights come on by themselves

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
oscarfrank

Interior lights come on by themselves

This problem just started about the same time I washed my 1996 Grand Cherokee with a pressure washer. The interior lights would come on by themselves. I went to start the car today and the battery was dead.

I inspected and cleaned all of the door switches and the lift gate as well. I even disconnected the lift gate switch to see if that was the problem but the interior lights would still come on.

They come on erratically when driving and seem to always come on when I step on the brakes hard, which would imply a wire is being grounded under heavy braking.

Just wonder if anyone else has had the same problem and what he or she did to fix it.

oscarfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
juanvaldez

Certainly sounds like water got inside something. Were the door switches very wet when you opened 'em?
juanvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
oscarfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Certainly sounds like water got inside something. Were the door switches very wet when you opened 'em?
Nope they were dry. But I still cleaned them and sprayed them with WD40
Unread 01-06-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
gcl97

Normally, these lights come on when you press the "UNLOCK" bottom of the remote (when the alarm system is de-activated).

I have a feeling that this problem has to do with the circuit of alarm system of the vehicle rather than mechanical (and most likely resulted from the pressure washer).
gcl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 04:39 PM   #5
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarfrank
This problem just started about the same time I washed my 1996 Grand Cherokee with a pressure washer. The interior lights would come on by themselves. I went to start the car today and the battery was dead.

I inspected and cleaned all of the door switches and the lift gate as well. I even disconnected the lift gate switch to see if that was the problem but the interior lights would still come on.

They come on erratically when driving and seem to always come on when I step on the brakes hard, which would imply a wire is being grounded under heavy braking.

Just wonder if anyone else has had the same problem and what he or she did to fix it.
You indicate that "lights" come on. Is it all of them or just the dome?

I wonder if water got in the sunroof and it's making contact with dome light wires as water moves around the metal sandwich casing of the headliner?

Try going in reverse a little fast and braking hard. If it turns on then, you have possibly narrowed it down again. We'll love to hear what it was...
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 04:44 PM   #6
oscarfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E
You indicate that "lights" come on. Is it all of them or just the dome?

I wonder if water got in the sunroof and it's making contact with dome light wires as water moves around the metal sandwich casing of the headliner?

Try going in reverse a little fast and braking hard. If it turns on then, you have possibly narrowed it down again. We'll love to hear what it was...
All of the interior lights come on. I do not have a sunroof in the car.

I did try going in reverse and braking hard. Not only did the lights NOT come on but it seemed to fix the problem temporarly. Hmmm

I am going to start tracing ground wires next.
Unread 01-06-2004, 09:01 PM   #7
ecrab3

Oscar, might seem silly, but just for the S of it, go and see if your rear light, the one that you can push on and off , is indeed off. I HAD the same problem a few years ago on my 98 ZJ. Was a intermittant problem, sometimes the lighst came on when hitting speed bumps or pulling into my driveway. I went as far as changing door switches until I realized that the rear light was turned on. Maybe groceries hit the switch, but just for me, check that first before you start replacing parts.

Good luck!
crab
ecrab3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #8
oscarfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrab3
Oscar, might seem silly, but just for the S of it, go and see if your rear light, the one that you can push on and off , is indeed off. I HAD the same problem a few years ago on my 98 ZJ. Was a intermittant problem, sometimes the lighst came on when hitting speed bumps or pulling into my driveway. I went as far as changing door switches until I realized that the rear light was turned on. Maybe groceries hit the switch, but just for me, check that first before you start replacing parts.

Good luck!
crab
Just went and tried that and it did not make a difference. I do think that the tail gate is where I will start my invistigation. There might be something else related to the two switches back there.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Unread 06-29-2004, 01:01 PM   #9
ItsMe

All Dome Lights Come On Intermittently

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarfrank
Just went and tried that and it did not make a difference. I do think that the tail gate is where I will start my invistigation. There might be something else related to the two switches back there.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I am having the exact same problem. I am not sure if it was after powerwashing my 1996 ZJ or not, but same symptoms. Seems to happen at weird times. It has come on when I was braking at a stop light, it has happened when I am making a right turn, and it has happened when the Jeep was sitting overnight in the driveway. Which of course killed my battery.

I ended up just pulling the fuse that runs the interior lights, but this has proven to be a pain in the butt since my wife likes to do her makeup in the Jeep on the way to the clubs on the weekends. So I put the fuse in and drive that way until we get to the club and then pull it back out. Of course, I recently forgot to take it out and went out to go to work the next morning and had a dead cell on my battery. I just replaced the battery and had to put on new terminals, so I am now looking to fix the problem.

If you found a resolution to this please post it here.

Thanks,
ItsMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.