Interior Lighting - 1/2 work. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Interior Lighting - 1/2 work.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
brntwood

Interior Lighting - 1/2 work.

Hi--1996 Grand Cherokee limited. When open any door (inc rear lift gate) - the only interior lights that come on are the ones on the front doors. The center dome light, light under the pass side dash do not come on. (Also - the rear carge light does not work.) Note - the push button center reading lights (And the front map lights) DO work. The rear carge (with the lens push switch does not light) I've checked all bulbs etc. Seems like there are two circuits for the interior lights. (Why do the interiort door lights come on - yet not the "other" interior lights (Center dome, under dash, rear cargo, etc.) not come on when open door. I checked and DO have 12V power (to ground) on a pink and yellow wire in the center dome assembly, and I do have ground condinuity from the black to chasis ground. I would assume this is correct - but most probably (cause it ain't workin. :-) This is not correct. Help.... :-( I'm confused. THANKS....

brntwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
JCZJ
1998 ZJ 

Try pushing the light over the cargo area, it acts as a switch turning the interior lights off and on when you open the doors. It might just be off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey40 View Post
She can XJ my WJ whenever and however she wants. Hell, I'd let her CJ it, too.
JCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
brntwood

Thanks for the idea - but no luck.

Unfourtantly - that wern't it. :-( Again - I have power ( think) --yet these lights don't light. (Tested the bulbs-there all good.) This is makeing me more nutso than I usually am. It has GOT to do something with this floating ground (which I admit - I don't totally understand or another switch somewhere. (Is this by any chance one of those "programable" items somewhere?
Unread 07-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
brntwood

brntwood's Profile
brntwood's Gallery Thanks for the idea - but no luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfourtantly - that wern't it. :-( Again - I have power ( think) --yet these lights don't light. (Tested the bulbs-there all good.) This is makeing me more nutso than I usually am. It has GOT to do something with this floating ground (which I admit - I don't totally understand or another switch somewhere. (Is this by any chance one of those "programable" items somewhere?
Unread 07-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
brntwood

OK---This is even getting more crazy - NOW the timer for the interior lights is not working. (The door lights used to stay on for 45ish seconds (after door was closed-now they go off instantly) This change happened after disconnecting (and re-connecting) the battery. I'm thinking these lights are "programmable" somehow. ????
Unread 07-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
brntwood

OK--the "timer" now seems to work again. (Must have had something to do with disconnecting the battery - ??) But the other lights still don't light. :-((
Unread 07-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

do your glove box lamp, key halo, underhood lamp and visor lamps work?
Unread 07-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

fuse?

i think the dome lights are on one fuse, and the doors on another
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

it was kind of funny letting him post and post and post...kind of like he was talking to himself...till you 2 had to chime in. I would check for shorts, relays and fuses. Also check the BCM. (body control module)
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

the door moduals control the door lights, i want to know which lights work to decide which curcuit is bad
Unread 07-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
brntwood

Work/don't work

Sorry for the multiple posts--just trying to give all information. (Regarding talking to my self---yerp--after trying to figure this one out--I might be! The glove box and under hood lights WORK. The center dome, Under dash, Cargo and (discovered) the Halo lights do NOT work. As far as I can tell--they are all on the same circuite/fuse. (My logic is--if some of the lights on the circuit work (and some don't) it's not the fuse. (PS--I did check it--it's good. (fuse 16) THANKS for any assistance.
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

ok then, the cargo, under dash, halo all run through the courtesy lamp relay most other lamps dont, its located in the junksion box, second column, second one down, swap it out with another similar relay to see if its bad
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
brntwood

Will check it.

Thanks for the idea. (relay) I will check it this evening when get home. Will let you know. Thanks again.
Unread 07-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
brntwood

Relay is good....

Hi. I swapped the relay (from the cigar lighter) I know I had the cigar lighter relay etc. as I tried the lighter with it out. Swapped the relay (both have same number on them) Cigar lighter works with the dome relay (so relay is good)

One other thing I discovered....There is the slide dimmer switch on the dash to dim the dash lights etc. The full "up/on" position should turn on the dome lights. (correct?) It doesn't.

Is this problem by ANY chance a "programable" thing? I see many mentions in the oweners manual about "option can be programmed by your dealer" ??

Thanks again for the assistance.
Unread 07-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #15
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

check power to the relay and then power out to where it gos, if you have powers and grounds everywhere it needs a new body control module

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.