Interior light fuse keeps blowing out as soon as I try to put it in. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Interior light fuse keeps blowing out as soon as I try to put it in.

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Aureliametal
1998 ZJ 

Interior light fuse keeps blowing out as soon as I try to put it in.

Where should I start looking for a short at? I put a fuse in yesterday and it worked until today. Now it just blows them out. I hate not having interior lights. Thanks, Joe

Unread 11-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Sextiva
1996 ZJ 

If the fuse is poppin then its a short to ground before the load. Start tracin the wire between the fuse panel and the light. GL
Sextiva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Aureliametal
1998 ZJ 

Should I be taking out the door switches to check there? The fuse blows even with the doors all closed though.
Unread 11-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Sextiva
1996 ZJ 

You lost me.
Sextiva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
colt808
1998 ZJ 

Hmmm...do you have the correct fuse installed? Correct bulb replacement? Did you move the mount for the bulb causing it to ground out?

To better help, which interior light did you replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextiva View Post
You lost me.
I think he took your response as a short between the fuse box and door.
colt808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Aureliametal
1998 ZJ 

I just got this jeep at it was doing this to the guy that had it before me. I put in a fuse the day I got it and it worked fine for a day, but now its blowing out again. When the light were working they all worked correctly. Except the lights under the dash were burnt out.
Unread 11-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
colt808
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aureliametal View Post
I just got this jeep at it was doing this to the guy that had it before me. I put in a fuse the day I got it and it worked fine for a day, but now its blowing out again. When the light were working they all worked correctly. Except the lights under the dash were burnt out.
Well, you definitely bought someone elses problems, but that's okay. Troubleshooting the electrical system isn't all too hard, it is just a very time consuming process. My recommendation is to get an electricl meter and a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual for the wiring diagrams. Some can also be downloaded (google it):

Google Search for 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wiring Diagram

The lights under the dash were out and everything else was okay? Check the mount and wiring for those and tape up any exposed wiring or solder that may be contacting ground. If that doesn't solve the problem just leave those bulbs out. If the fuse still goes, then you can...

Option 1: I'd start simple, pull all the bulbs and install them one at a time until the fuse goes poof. Then remove that bulb (and leave it out), replace the fuse, use the meter to check that socket. Continue on with the others to see if the fuse goes again. Repeat the process and note each bulb that causes the fuse to blow. This process can eliminate or locate sockets that are a problem, but not always. I've seen people push so hard installing a bulb that they bend the mount and ground it to the frame/body, so this is not a bad place to start. Also, I just feel that the bulbs are easier to get to compared to tracing wiring.

Option 2: Since wiring is hard to get to, try reaching in a feeling all the wires. Anywhere the wires come near a screw, mounting point, or bend, feel the wires for chaffing, cuts, or cracks in the insulation. Any exposed wiring that you come across should be visually inspected; find what caused it and fix that. Then wrap with electrical tape and test the system. You may have to continue on if the fuse goes again, because the problem can be at several points.

Option 3: Use the the meter to check all the components and switches connected to the problem fuse. You're checking for voltage and continuity. With luck, you'll narrow down the problem there. If not, you'll need to trace the wiring from the problem fuse, to each of the components connected to it, through any switches/connections, and then all the way to the battery, checking each section visually and with the meter as you go. The process involves removing several trim panels and IMO really sucks. You're looking at a hours of work.

Option 4: Take it to a shop and pay for 1-??? hours of labor. Shop around. Get a written estimates. It can get very expensive, so maybe invest in some flashlights until you can fix it yourself.

I highly recommend getting a repair manual simply because you sound like a DIY person. The manual will help you solve just about all problems.

Good luck!
colt808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
Aureliametal
1998 ZJ 

Ok, I started checking wiring so far. Your saying to take all the bulbs out and then trying to put the fuse in? I think thats what you mean. I'll start there.
Unread 11-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
Aureliametal
1998 ZJ 

I took out ever bulb for the courtesy lights. All interior, under the hood, and in the glove box. It still blows the fuse. Im losing patients...
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
Aureliametal
1998 ZJ 

Ok, I figured out that it was the wiring above the passenger side sunvisor. I almost forgot to check that...Thanks, Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.