interior dome lighting - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > interior dome lighting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Reply
Unread 03-23-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
trekbuddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 133
interior dome lighting

Hi all, I just got a 1998 GC after my 1996 got totalled by a coworker (never let a girl drive your Jeep!) and the interior dome lights did not work when I got it. Well i figured out that someone had pulled the fuse for them in the passenger kick panel. I put the fuse back in but I figured out why they pulled the fuse. They don't turn off! I noticed that if one of the doors or liftgate is open the lights are brighter than if they are shut which leads me to believe it is not one of the pin switches for the doors but maybe i am wrong. I thought maybe there was a bad relay somewhere, but when it comes to the way car companies run their factory wiring I have no idea even where to start. Has anyone seen something like this before? It is really not to big of a deal but it does get a little annoying not having any kind of dome light at all! Thanks in advance for any help that someone can give!

trekbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
snowboarder61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbuddy
Hi all, I just got a 1998 GC after my 1996 got totalled by a coworker (never let a girl drive your Jeep!) and the interior dome lights did not work when I got it. Well i figured out that someone had pulled the fuse for them in the passenger kick panel. I put the fuse back in but I figured out why they pulled the fuse. They don't turn off! I noticed that if one of the doors or liftgate is open the lights are brighter than if they are shut which leads me to believe it is not one of the pin switches for the doors but maybe i am wrong. I thought maybe there was a bad relay somewhere, but when it comes to the way car companies run their factory wiring I have no idea even where to start. Has anyone seen something like this before? It is really not to big of a deal but it does get a little annoying not having any kind of dome light at all! Thanks in advance for any help that someone can give!
Try the first and easiest thing to check. Don't know if it's gonna fix it or if you tried, but where the headlight switch is, there is a dimmer for the interior lights that slides left to right. When it's all the way to the right, it will turn on the interior dome lights. Make sure it isnt all the way to the right. Slide it to the left alittle bit and see if it shuts off when the doors close.

The way you say it dims is exactly how that would react if the dome lights were turned on from that switch and the door was closed.

If that dont fix it then i couldnt help you. Never had that problem, and i'm not an electrician guru!

HTH
Brandon

EDIT* noticed you had a gc before, , didnt see that the first time. Yeah if that dont solve it just pull the fuse again! lol
snowboarder61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
greasefingers
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northern VA, USA, NJ
Posts: 8,237
I really dislike the location of the dimmer switch. I have inadvertently turned that darn dome light on, many times. If I am wearing gloves and go to turn my headlights off, my fingers accidentally push that slider-switch all the way to the right. I do not feel the slider move, as I am wearing gloves which also insulate feelings. Which means the dome light will remain on after I leave the vehicle. Bad positioning.
__________________
Cheers Steve

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
trekbuddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 133
Yeah that is where i am sitting right now with no fuse in it. The biggest worry that I have is that my security system is nonfunctional without that fuse in it. I put my two way remote start in but the door triggers on it run off the same switches.

I also forgot to mention that when you do run the switch all of the way over as if to turn on the dome lights they get brighter just like they do when the door is open. Almost like the switch is trying to turn the lights on but they are already on.

Sorry about the edit...

Last edited by trekbuddy; 03-23-2005 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: added info about dash switch
trekbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2005, 03:42 AM   #5
snowboarder61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbuddy
Yeah that is where i am sitting right now with no fuse in it. The biggest worry that I have is that my security system is nonfunctional without that fuse in it. I put my two way remote start in but the door triggers on it run off the same switches.

I also forgot to mention that when you do run the switch all of the way over as if to turn on the dome lights they get brighter just like they do when the door is open. Almost like the switch is trying to turn the lights on but they are already on.

Sorry about the edit...
Sorry I cant narrow it down for you as I am fairly new to jeeps and am still learning very much info, but have you tried the door pins? maybe one of them are bad and is not telling the system to shut it off. But like I said I'm just giving suggestions as to what it might be, its up to you how far you wanna repair/play with things.

To check if your security system is functional, lock the doors, with key or power lock switch, and if it works, there should be a light on the dash that indicates its working (unless 96-98's didnt have indicators for security)<--someone wanna chime in on that?

HTH
Brandon
snowboarder61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2005, 03:44 AM   #6
snowboarder61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
I really dislike the location of the dimmer switch. I have inadvertently turned that darn dome light on, many times. If I am wearing gloves and go to turn my headlights off, my fingers accidentally push that slider-switch all the way to the right. I do not feel the slider move, as I am wearing gloves which also insulate feelings. Which means the dome light will remain on after I leave the vehicle. Bad positioning.
I do that ALL the time! Nice thing about starting work when its dark out though, if it dont go off after a little while i know i left it on! lol
snowboarder61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2005, 07:38 AM   #7
greasefingers
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northern VA, USA, NJ
Posts: 8,237
And I thought it was just me having mental moments with that dimmer
__________________
Cheers Steve

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
snowboarder61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
And I thought it was just me having mental moments with that dimmer
Nope! Damn dimmer switch!

I actually want to rewire the dome lights to a switch on their own, but am too lazy right now to figure out what i have to do.

Any clues yet trek?

Later
Brandon
snowboarder61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
trekbuddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 133
I think that you have it on it snow the indicator light doesn't turn on at all. i am trying to remember if I have ever set off the factory alarm at all. I just ran out and checked and the factory system does not go off. I just attributed that to it running through that fuse but maybe my factory alarm is shot. Does anyone know where the brain to that is? Does anyone know what all runs through the factory alarm? Can I take it out and still have everything work? I don't mind losing it since I have a remote start/security system anyway.
trekbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
snowboarder61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbuddy
I think that you have it on it snow the indicator light doesn't turn on at all. i am trying to remember if I have ever set off the factory alarm at all. I just ran out and checked and the factory system does not go off. I just attributed that to it running through that fuse but maybe my factory alarm is shot. Does anyone know where the brain to that is? Does anyone know what all runs through the factory alarm? Can I take it out and still have everything work? I don't mind losing it since I have a remote start/security system anyway.
Maybe you have a bad ground for the alarm?

Sorry I cant help you with most of your techincal problems, i'm just trying think of things that could possibly solve your problems.
snowboarder61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #11
trekbuddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 133
Yeah it is very possible that I do have a bad ground for the factory alarm. i just have to figure out where it is....
trekbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
nashmd454
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,744
my best suggestion is that you have a bad ground or short. Try asking justjeepin or ioachick....I am not sure but one of them seems to answer alot of electrical questions. Also WVD. Whats up snowboarder61...raining here in Everett.
__________________
96' JGC V-8 5.2L ltd.
way too much to list.
Thought for the day:
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.


[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2005, 02:41 AM   #13
snowboarder61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454
my best suggestion is that you have a bad ground or short. Try asking justjeepin or ioachick....I am not sure but one of them seems to answer alot of electrical questions. Also WVD. Whats up snowboarder61...raining here in Everett.
Been raining here for a few (too many, but needed) days. Can you beleive the resorts in the mountains are opening back up?

Sorry for the OT, figure anything out yet trek?
snowboarder61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2005, 08:21 PM   #14
trekbuddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 133
Not yet..... I have been too swamped at work lately to do anything with it. Hopefully this weekend....
trekbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.