Intake manifold swap. 97 to 99. Missing something? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Intake manifold swap. 97 to 99. Missing something?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 06-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Intake manifold swap. 97 to 99. Missing something?

I have a 97 ZJ with a 4.0 I6. I have gathered on here that swapping the intake manifold from a 99 WJ 4.0 will give me a good upgrade in power. I have read most of the searchable threads, but still have one remaining question:

It looks as if it is a straight swap, but before I dive in, IS IT? Are there any modifications I need to make to the new one? Is it as simple as a 'remove/replace' as all the threads make it seem? I just want to be sure.

I don't want to tear apart the top part of my engine just to find out I forgot something stupidly obvious. Any advice from someone who has done this would be greatly appreciated.

I am hoping that swapping intake, and adding cold air, and a header back exhaust will really boost me up power wise.

ROFLwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

If you do the entire system, youll notice some more power. I did it and it swapped in fine. I needed to make one of the sensor wires longer because it wasnt long enough to reach the "new" hole.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

One of those rear manifold bolts is a real slut to get in/out good luck

Build thread^^
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
If you do the entire system, youll notice some more power. I did it and it swapped in fine. I needed to make one of the sensor wires longer because it wasnt long enough to reach the "new" hole.
What do you mean "the entire system"? Will the original throttle body and fuel rails not still work? Do I need to replace more than just the manifold itself?
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

I just did mine a few weeks ago, and for yours, being a 97, it is pretty straightforward. Biggest thing is, post 96 you didnt have to make any adjustments to the power steering pump, so you are lucky. The hardest thing for me was fitting the vacuum lines in the right place, and I did have to lengthen the air temp sensor cables. The fuel line bolt was also way off so I had to jimmy-rig a solution by getting 2 pieces of metal, drilling holes, and bolting the 2 pieces together, mashing the original holder and the new one together. The new manifold only has 1 bolt instead of 2, so I had to drill a hole right in the middle of it for it to be stable.

Unread 06-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFLwaffles View Post
What do you mean "the entire system"? Will the original throttle body and fuel rails not still work? Do I need to replace more than just the manifold itself?
I mean, you wont feel much from just doing an intake. You will get the full benefit when you do your exhaust as well. Looks like you plan on that anyways so DO IT

Build thread^^
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post

I mean, you wont feel much from just doing an intake. You will get the full benefit when you do your exhaust as well. Looks like you plan on that anyways so DO IT
Okay. You had me worried there for a second. I do plan on doing the whole system air in to air out.
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

The vacuum lines have to be slightly modified (get pieces and elbows from the junkyard while you're there), the fuel line bracket needs to be redrilled (not an issue), and the air temp sensor either needs to be lengthened or you can move the sensor to where it can reach like I did (there's plenty of ports to do so).
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Why not do a set of '703 injectors while you're at it?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

^^this

Build thread^^
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Why not do a set of '703 injectors while you're at it?
What Is the difference with the 703 injectors?
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

More efficient spray pattern that leads to better atomization of the air/fuel charge as it enters the cylinder. Depending on the condition of your current injectors, some people see an increase in fuel economy, but most everyone notes quicker start up, smoother idle and increased throttle response.

You can buy reman'd injectors on eBay for around $80 for a set of 6, or you can pull them at the local JY and purchase a $12 o-ring and micro filter kit and rebuild them yourself. For my set of 8 injectors, I paid $3.50 per injector and $15 for the rebuild kit. I did have one injector that was stuck open, so I exchanged it at the JY for another one, but aside from that it was a smooth and straight forward swap. Plus I spend less than half the cost of buying a set online. There's a large thread on here going over the swap if you search for it.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
dbmorris99
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
you can pull them at the local JY and purchase a $12 o-ring and micro filter kit and rebuild them yourself. For my set of 8 injectors, I paid $3.50 per injector and $15 for the rebuild kit. I did have one injector that was stuck open, so I exchanged it at the JY for another one, but aside from that it was a smooth and straight forward swap. Plus I spend less than half the cost of buying a set online. There's a large thread on here going over the swap if you search for it.
what year and model would one find these injectors in?
dbmorris99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmorris99 View Post
what year and model would one find these injectors in?
pretty much any chrysler product 95-98 with the 2.0L or 2.4L 4 banger (neons, stratus', mini vans, etc)
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

You can check out my sig for some detailed walkthroughs on the 703s and manifold swap. It's a good plug n play swap especially for 96+
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.