intake manifold help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > intake manifold help

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 05-18-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
tbone31

intake manifold help

long story short, top end of my engine was taken apart and the guy screwed off, ive got everything back but i just noticed today after having the manifold cleaned that where it bolts to the exhaust manifold on of the bolt holders dont know how to explain is broken off. if i can post a picture later maybe someone can help. is there any solution to this its only half broke off will a bolt and washer still be able to hold it, being aluminum can it be welded? or what am i looking at for a new part?

1993 zj laredo FOR SALE, check the for sale section for details. or email TL05uo@brocku.ca
tbone31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

a picture would be really helpfull..

If you have a 4.0, theres bolts, then 2 studs that are on the very ends of the exhaust manifold. (They are screwed into the cylinder head but are removable)

You can get a new bolt/stud set for like $10 at any autoparts store..

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

tbone31,

From your description, it sounds as if part of your intake manifold has broken off where one of the bolts/washers holds it on? I'm not certain if it could be fixed or not...

but...

I have a used 1997 4.0L intake manifold that I can ship tomorrow for $20 if you are interested. Would be nice to get it out of the garage.

- Brian

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
tbone31

brian that sounds like what i need i will post a pic for final prognosis then u guys can let me know its what u described where the aluminum has broken off will the manifold work with my 93 ?

1993 zj laredo FOR SALE, check the for sale section for details. or email TL05uo@brocku.ca
Unread 05-19-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

tbone31,

I'm 98% certain that it will bolt right up to your '93.

Post the pic(s) when you get a chance. You may still be able to use your current manifold as it is.

- Brian

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Unread 05-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
tbone31

allright heres some pics sorry u gotta follow the link hope it works for ya.

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/508203/3

know anyone with a valve cover too lol

Unread 05-19-2005, 10:20 AM   #7
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Sorry for the big picture. :(

tbone31,

The part that is broken mates up with a locator pin on the head and not a bolt/washer. Your intake is still fine to use.

Here is a shot of my '95 head. The square holes are the intake ports; numbered 1 to 6, left to right. The locator pins are between and below intake ports 1 & 2 and 5 & 6. The holes for the pins are not threaded so it is possible that the pins could be missing.

HTH

- Brian

Unread 05-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #8
tbone31

ohh okay so it will still bolt up fine then no problems or what? and i started another thread about putting the top end back togheter maybe u can give me some tips/ help cause all i have is the reapair book and some average mechanical skill.

Unread 05-19-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Yep, it will still bolt up fine but you will need the locator pins in place to make sure it is in proper position. If the pins are missing you could replace them with smooth metal rod of the same diameter. Should be able to find the rod at home improvement stores.

- Brian

Unread 05-19-2005, 12:29 PM   #10
Ds4x4
1996 ZJ 

you could always look for that alumaloy? or w/e it is called, I use to see it in infomercials and they had exactly what you had except on a bracket and rebuilt it.
OME Stab.; Rustys 2" BB + shocks, xtreme hi-lift, Kennesaw Rear MultiCarrier
Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #15
Ds4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2005, 11:09 AM   #11
Ruffy

come and do that to my engine... i need a few rebuilds...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.