Instrument Cluster "Master Illum" light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Instrument Cluster "Master Illum" light

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
doogie1303
1998 ZJ 

Instrument Cluster "Master Illum" light

When I was putting white face gauges on my instrument cluster the other day I came across this light position on my instrument cluster that wasn't being used, does anyone know what this light is for?

Heres a picture of it with me shining a light into it.

And this is the position on the back of the instrument cluster.

I have a 98 Laredo, is "Master Illum" something used in the Limited models?

Unread 09-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
dcvance87
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think on the WJ that light means your headlights are on.
Unread 09-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcvance87 View Post
correct....
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
yj35s
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Of topic SORRY but was that white face install hard. Do you have to heat up the plastic cover and take it off and then reglue it. I want to do mine really bad but dont want to take the whole dash apart. thanks yours looks awsome.

-2003 Grand Cherokee- 2''BB and 265/75 BFG all-terrain (daily driver)
yj35s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
doogie1303
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcvance87 View Post
Are you implying High beams or regular headlights? There is already an indicator for high beams and it seems kinda silly to have a headlight indicator when the whole instrument cluster lights up when you turn your headlights on. It must have meant something benign as its green, normally you don't make a warning light green. Maybe its an indicator used on an overseas model, I did also find a spot for "water in diesel" indicator, which would definitely be something used in the overseas version as they have diesel ZJs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj35s View Post
Of topic SORRY but was that white face install hard. Do you have to heat up the plastic cover and take it off and then reglue it. I want to do mine really bad but dont want to take the whole dash apart. thanks yours looks awsome.
I'm not going to go into detail but the instrument cluster is pretty easy to take out, search the forums for someone whos posted the instructions.

Once its out, its even easier to disasemble as its all held together with plastic clips, the clear plastic cover and and surround are just held on with tabs, so just pop it off and you'll have access to the gauge faces.
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
blackwhiteriot
2007 JK Wrangler 

my zj orvis is from canada and it has that ugly light. if you dont like it pull the bulb.
blackwhiteriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie1303 View Post
Are you implying High beams or regular headlights? There is already an indicator for high beams and it seems kinda silly to have a headlight indicator when the whole instrument cluster lights up when you turn your headlights on. It must have meant something benign as its green, normally you don't make a warning light green. Maybe its an indicator used on an overseas model, I did also find a spot for "water in diesel" indicator, which would definitely be something used in the overseas version as they have diesel ZJs.
Nope not the high beams. It just indicates normal headlights on the WJ. I thought it was pretty worthless too when I first got my dub and noticed that. Just a waste of a light bulb since the whole thing lights up when the headlights are on.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.