instrument cluster malfunction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > instrument cluster malfunction

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
josephj
2003 WJ 

instrument cluster malfunction

from 2 weeks i was in a car wash,when i finished washing my jeep,started the engine,it started normally but all the gauges like fuel indicator,rpm everything was going up and down randomly it lasted for 1 minute than everything became normal,but the check engine light that was on turned off(the code was p0455 evap system..)i drove it normally for 3 weeks(the check engine turned on again after 2 days same code p0455),than today i went to the gas station,when i tried to start the engine suddenly the gauges did the same thing but this time the engine didn't start,or start and turn off immediately,after 6 tries the engine started normally the gauges get back to normal but also the check engine light turned off,and i was using it for all the day and everything is normal now!!!

(P.S.:i don't know if this may caused this malfunction but from maybe 5 weeks the driver door panel was not working(power windows button,lock/unlock doors...)i've found that the red wire(+12v)was broken between the door and the body,i reconnected it isolate it using tape and mounted back the rubber between the door and the body)

i can't find what the problem,maybe it's a wire shortening and causing the pcm to reset i'm really confused...i'll be thankful any help or tips

josephj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
josephj
2003 WJ 

any help please, i don't want things to get worst,like dead dashboard or pcm...
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Remove and clean out battery terminals at battery. That sounds like what happens when you have dirty terminals.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
josephj
2003 WJ 

i did it ,and today i have removed the steering column opening cover to try to find any shorted wire near the bcm or instrument cluster but,didn't find anything

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.