Installing used but good AC compressor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Installing used but good AC compressor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Installing used but good AC compressor

My 96 ZJ with the 4.0 has bad compressor so I found a good used one (I felt it running ice cold) to swap over.. Putting on a new accumulator/drier also. Should I drain the 'new' compressor and add a new quantity of oil? Also, should I take it in first and have everything in the line vacuumed out first before I switch anything over? Any details would be greatly appreciated.. (I am going to have it professionally refilled when I have the new parts finally on..)

Unread 08-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
melloyello
1995 ZJ 

Just open the system and let what's in it out. Replace the drier and compressor. If you want then go ahead and replace all o-rings in the system, check your belt, etc. Then take it in to get it filled. If you have a vacuum and some gauges then do it yourself. Don't just go adding r134a to it.
melloyello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
Just open the system and let what's in it out.
Umm...NO...don't do that. That's just ignorant in so many ways (not to mention illegal).
Have the system evacuated by a shop. A good shop will have an evacuation/recycling system that will print out exactly how much was evacuated, and will store that refrigerant in their tank.
Then, after your system is back together, they should credit you the amount evacuated when they recharge it.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
melloyello
1995 ZJ 

Ignorant you say? Some people would say climbing rocks in a SUV was ignorant too but it ain't stopping you. Let me guess, I am ruining the ozone? And illegal? It's not illegal if he happened to ACCIDENTALLY cut the hose attached to the drier.
I was just trying to save him some money by changing the parts himself.
So, you want him to go to the shop so they can evacuate the system then return home and change the compressor and drier, only to return to the shop again to charge the system? The folks at the shops around where you live must be a lot nicer than here. If you asked for this kind of service here you would get a good chuckle out of them.
I truly hope he can find a shop to do that for him. I really didn't think it would be an option though.
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Let me guess, I am ruining the ozone? And illegal? It's not illegal if he happened to ACCIDENTALLY cut the hose attached to the drier.
No additional reply beyond this needed to accent this type of ignorance.
Unread 08-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
melloyello
1995 ZJ 

Dude, seriously, wake up. If it leaks out through a pin hole in a hose, past an o-ring, past the seal, or if you cut the hose; what the heck is the difference? Oh no, the ozone police might come and snatch me up. I think I spilled a couple of drops of oil the last time I threw my oil filter into the woods. Lock me up.
I can't let a little refrigerant loose in the air but big companies can dump harmful pollutants into the air everyday. Gimme a break.
I bet you still have the tags on your pillows too don't you?
Unread 08-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Dude, seriously, wake up. If it leaks out through a pin hole in a hose, past an o-ring, past the seal, or if you cut the hose; what the heck is the difference?
There is a difference, and if you can't understand that, then again, I say you're ignorant. Not going to defend against intentionally releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere. I don't need to.

And with 134a costing at best ~$0.75-$1.00/oz (I charge $1.50/oz)...and a full recharge taking 48-64oz...where's the harm in doing it right? Recycle it. Save yourself a few bux while preserving the environment. Where is the wrong in this?
Unread 08-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
SaturnICL
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
No additional reply beyond this needed to accent this type of ignorance.
Quote:
Dude, seriously, wake up. If it leaks out through a pin hole in a hose, past an o-ring, past the seal, or if you cut the hose; what the heck is the difference? Oh no, the ozone police might come and snatch me up. I think I spilled a couple of drops of oil the last time I threw my oil filter into the woods. Lock me up.
I can't let a little refrigerant loose in the air but big companies can dump harmful pollutants into the air everyday. Gimme a break.
I bet you still have the tags on your pillows too don't you?
A pinhole is different than taking a pair of sidecutters to the line to the tune of a fine of $20000.00 It is called intentional venting!

I see that if big companies jumped off a cliff you would to! (hint - hint)

It amazes me how people will try to justify committing a crime because you are saving a few bucks.
SaturnICL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
xxxflhrci

I don't know that I would have gone the used route unless it was dirt cheap. I just bought a remanufactured compressor, drier, o-rings, and oil as a kit off eBay for my Mercedes. It was 172 bucks shipped to my door. I did not install it myself. I paid a pro to do it. The total for installing it and charging the systems was 174 bucks.

The vendor that I got my kit from sells nothing but AC compressors on eBay. He has 7k+ positive transactions.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
melloyello
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
There is a difference, and if you can't understand that, then again, I say you're ignorant. Not going to defend against intentionally releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere. I don't need to.

And with 134a costing at best ~$0.75-$1.00/oz (I charge $1.50/oz)...and a full recharge taking 48-64oz...where's the harm in doing it right? Recycle it. Save yourself a few bux while preserving the environment. Where is the wrong in this?
I never said it was wrong to recycle it. I think you misunderstood that part. I said that I didn't know any shops around here that would evacuate then let you go home and come back at another time to recharge.
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
ZJcrawler45
1998 ZJ 

WHoA! so $64 + shop fees/labor just to evacuate and refill the AC system. That's a RIP! And so is $174 to install a AC compressor. Sorry but i wouldn't pay the $100+ dollars just to have the AC system evacuated and recharged legally. Besides all that ozone stuff is BS.
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #12
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJcrawler45 View Post
WHoA! so $64 + shop fees/labor just to evacuate and refill the AC system. That's a RIP! And so is $174 to install a AC compressor. Sorry but i wouldn't pay the $100+ dollars just to have the AC system evacuated and recharged legally. Besides all that ozone stuff is BS.
I thought 174 bucks was pretty darn fair for an install and charge. Due to the compressors location, you couldn't hardly do the swap without a lift. I figure it was at least a 2 hour job. I was glad to drop it off, comeback, pay the guy and know it was done correctly. I've driven about 1k with my new AC and stayed cool as a cucumber. I'm happy.
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
j.love
1994 ZJ 

you need a lift to change your ac pump??? man you must be short.
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.love View Post
you need a lift to change your ac pump??? man you must be short.
Did you bother to read that is it on a Mercedes? It is on the bottom. It bolts up from underneath the car.
Unread 08-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #15
j.love
1994 ZJ 

this is a Jeep forum.. why are you talking Mercedes?

besides, who reads the entire thread anymore... pffft!
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.