Installing a remote start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Installing a remote start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-31-2004, 10:36 AM   #1
gyrusx
2000 WJ 

Installing a remote start

How hard is it to install a remote start on a 98 4.0? I mean do you have to be a certified mechanic or it involves only soldering a few wires. Is the manual sufficient for it??/

thanks

gyrusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 05:11 PM   #2
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

I want a remote start but can't find much info on them, who sells them? Are there loads of different brands? Does anyone make one with all the wiring specifically set up for a GC?
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrusx
How hard is it to install a remote start on a 98 4.0? I mean do you have to be a certified mechanic or it involves only soldering a few wires. Is the manual sufficient for it??/

thanks
Quote taken from another post.

It's funny, even the most qualified mechanic should not try to do a remote start as intense as this one if he's never seen one before. It will take him all day and it probably won't work right if he hasn't damaged anything yet. These should be left to professionals who have training and technical support. That is why places like Best Buy won't even sell it unless they install it.

Andy , any other ?'s let ME know!!!
treats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 06:53 PM   #4
LBX2G

A remote start is not that hard it is just u need to find the wires, that is the most diffcult part.
LBX2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 09:22 PM   #5
nphomasone

I did mine (1996 I6 Limited) a few years ago and it wasn't very hard to do. I think I paid $79.00 Cdn (worth every penny) at the time and it came with an instructional video and a wiring diagram. The wiring diagram tells you exactly which wires to splice. You can get more information at

http://bulldogsecurity.com
nphomasone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 09:47 PM   #6
ShadMan

I've successfully done my own twice before. When I went to get a remote start this time, I paid to have someone else do it. It is doable if you understand electronics (I've always installed my own stereo systems), but not fun or easy. It is time consuming, and you can really damage your vehicle if it's done wrong. In all future vehicles, I will let a competent DEI certified installer install mine and save myself lots of headaches.
Unread 09-25-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
dylanemcgregor

So how much should one expect to pay for a unit and install? I checked CC and Best Buy and they both wanted about $450 to do it, $100 for the unit, ~$300 for install, and another $50 or so for tax. This is to much for me to pay, I'll get a unit if I can keep it under $300 total.

All I want is the remote start function, preferably using my existing keyfob, but I'm not real particular about that.

Anyone have good ideas on cost?

Thanks,
Dylan
dylanemcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2004, 06:58 PM   #8
Grog71

Remote start

I know i am about to have a remote start put into our 04 and it is going to cost 315 installed. The problem why it is so expensive is because of the chip in the key. even at 300 i will pay that all day long and let someone else deal with all them wires under the hood. I know that if you goto that bull dog security site and search a little they sell a wire harness that is made for certain vehicles and you just plug the thing into the cars harness under the dash and plug there remote start into it and you are done. The harness is under 30.00 and the starter is usually under 100.00 click on accesories then click t harness www.bulldogsecurity.com is deffinately the way to go for the do it yourselfer. Hope that helps....
Grog71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2004, 07:58 PM   #9
kachina_labala

does your grand have the chip in key? If it does (my 99 does) it requires an extra part. I paid almost 500 for my clifford system installed. It was worth it because the install has a lifetime waurentee. Ive had to have it fixed once already when the chip module came loose in the steering column
kachina_labala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2004, 07:59 PM   #10
kachina_labala

should have read the post just above mine sorry for the double info. Look for the installers waurentee though.
kachina_labala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2004, 11:35 PM   #11
Jayrod586

My brother bought the Informer series by Audiovox and installed it in his '97 Ram himself and it worked perfectly. It's the starter with alarm, keyless entry... everything, and the LCD keychain with a second backup one. My dad just bought a '02 ram and got the exact same starter, took it to Circuit City to have it installed. They spent 2 days putting it in and still had all kinds of electrical problems with the truck, and they ended up losing a lot of money on the deal. My brother says he'd be comfortable doing it in my Jeep, a '98, just didn't want to do it on the brand new Ram. So if you at least know what you're doing with wires and stuff, you should be fine. I want to put the same on in my Jeep maybe next summer.
Jayrod586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #12
dylanemcgregor

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm usually good with the do-it-yourself route, but I've always been a bit paranoid when dealing with a cars electrics. I think it goes back to trying to mess with the wiring in the MG I had in high school...

Anyway, I guess I'll have to do some more research and see if I can find a place that will do it cheaper... Or try the harness deal from Bulldog, thanks for that recomendation Grog.

-Dylan
dylanemcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2004, 10:12 PM   #13
Eric99WJ

Here is the most up to date wiring info for your jeep. The remote start install is not that hard as long as you can use a soldering iron/gun and have a little patience. If you have any questions or need a hand just let me know.

Eric

WIRING INFORMATION - JEEP / GRAND CHEROKEE / 1998 / Remote Start

12volts red/white + ignition harness

Starter yellow + ignition harness

Ignition dk. blue/gray + ignition harness

Accessory blk/org + ignition harness
Notes: Both wires must be powered for remote start.

Second Accessory red/blk + ignition harness
Notes: Both wires must be powered for remote start.

Power Lock org/pur - blk/wht 5wi
Notes: Use orange/purple for lock and pink/black for unlock at the drivers door switch to operate the drivers door lock. Use black/white for lock and pink/black for unlock at the passenger front door switch to unlock all passenger doors. It is required to interface in each door even if the vehicle is equiped with keyless entry.

Can also use DEI part number 455t door lock interface control module. This will control door lock, unlock, arm, disarm, dome light supervision and more.

Power Unlock pnk/blk - pnk/blk 5wi
Notes: Use orange/purple for lock and pink/black for unlock at the drivers door switch to operate the drivers door lock. Use black/white for lock and pink/black for unlock at the passenger front door switch to unlock all passenger doors. It is required to interface in each door even if the vehicle is equiped with keyless entry.

Can also use DEI part number 455t door lock interface control module. This will control door lock, unlock, arm, disarm, dome light supervision and more.

Parking Lights+ dk. blue/red at light switch

Door Trigger yellow - drivers kick panel
Notes: To avoid dome light delay there are 5 separate trigger wires in a 14 pin black plug at the BCM located between the steering column and the drivers kick panel. The plug is located in the drivers side front corner of BCM just behind the knee bolster. All wires in the plug exit straight down. The door trigger colors are tan, tan/red, tan/orange, and tan/yellow. The trunk trigger color is tan/black. All of them are negative trigger. Grab each wire and diode isolate. See directfax document #1076 for wiring information. WHEN USING A 455T INTERFACE MODULE, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO USE THE SEPARATE TRIGGER WIRES.

Dome Supervision comes on w/disarm

Trunk/Hatch Pin tan/black - left of column
Notes: To avoid dome light delay there are 5 separate trigger wires in a 14 pin black plug at the BCM located between the steering column and the drivers kick panel. The plug is located in the drivers side front corner of BCM just behind the knee bolster. All wires in the plug exit straight down. The door trigger colors are tan, tan/red, tan/orange, and tan/yellow. The trunk trigger color is tan/black. All of them are negative trigger. Grab each wire and diode isolate. See directfax document #1076 for wiring information. WHEN USING A 455T INTERFACE MODULE, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO USE THE SEPARATE TRIGGER WIRES.

Hood Pin brown/tan - drivers kick panel

Trunk/Hatch Release orange/brown + release switch

Factory Alarm Arm arms with lock

Factory Alarm Disarm purple/yellow - door harness DKP
Notes: Also located in the same 14 pin black connector as the separate door trigger wires. See above notes for exact location.

Tachometer gray/white ac PCM
Notes: The PCM is located high on the passenger side firewall.

Brake Wire white/tan + at brake pedal switch

Horn Trigger gray/orange - steering column

Immobilizer Bypass Module: Required: No Type: N/A Part #: N/A
Eric99WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2004, 06:29 AM   #14
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

You can learn a lot from this site:

www.the12volt.com

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 07:23 PM   #15
atlien928
1996 ZJ 

remote start w/ factory alram

I want to get a DEI remote start, but without the DEI alarm, I want to keep my factory alarm. Is it possible to install a DEI remote start system, and keep the factory alarm functioning properly? Can I use the DEI lock and unlock features to arm and disarm my factory alarm?

Thanks to whoever can answer that.
atlien928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.