Installing a Hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Installing a Hitch

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-30-2003, 06:27 PM   #1
craniusmaximus

Installing a Hitch

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee and I would like to install a trailer hitch. I have noticed that GCs with factory-installed hitches have a different bumper cover than ones not equipped. Also when I checked the rear bumper cover wraps under right up to the gas tank leaving no place to access for mounting. Has anybody had an after market hitch put on and just what was involved? I am assuming the bumper cover will have to be removed, the hitch installed, and a hole cut in the bumper cover for the receiver before remounting. Please let me know what you had done and what issues you had if any.

Also what should I expect to pay to have a tranny cooler installed parts and labor?

Thanks

2002 Mercedes C230K Coupe (51K)
1987 VW Jetta GL (400+K)
1994 Buick LaSaber (190K) [best american car I ever owned, least cool] P.S. I hate GM

Last edited by craniusmaximus; 08-30-2003 at 06:56 PM..
craniusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2003, 08:14 AM   #2
MichiganK9SAR
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just installed a hitch on my 01 GC Laredo. There are bolts on each side of the fuel tank that are removed and used for mounting the hitch. Although you don't need to remove/alter the rear bumper in order to mount an after-market hitch, there are pre-existing bolts that need to be removed. I was fortunate that mine came off with breaker bar and a little Sili Kroil. It is forseeable that the bolts could break and would need to be drilled and tapped.
MichiganK9SAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
Steven

Exactly what he said

IMO the aftermarket hitch looks more like a hitch than the factory install. It's massive and pertrudes under the plastic bumper, perfect towing level.

Check this post:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/2002-hitch-recommendations-27151/

You'll need a light kit (or harness) for another $25 to $35 that simply "plugs into" an awaiting empty connector. Why this connector is sitting INside the GC on top of the left rear wheelwell I'll never figure !!

I have pictures here somewhere..( I can shoot my install if you'd like) well it looks like this one:

Steven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2003, 07:22 PM   #4
craniusmaximus

Thanks, that's good news.

The camper I'll be pulling has a GVW of 1800 lbs, though I could get away without a tranny cooler I think I'll add one for security and piece of mind. If anyone has any input here let me know.

2002 Mercedes C230K Coupe (51K)
1987 VW Jetta GL (400+K)
1994 Buick LaSaber (190K) [best american car I ever owned, least cool] P.S. I hate GM

Last edited by craniusmaximus; 09-02-2003 at 10:04 PM..
craniusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.