Installing Front Lower Control Arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Installing Front Lower Control Arms

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 06-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
98ZJOKC

Installing Front Lower Control Arms

Getting ready to install new front lower control arms this weekend to try to get this beast to stop driving like a pig. I've already replaced the rear control arms and had a shop replace the rear wheel bearings (fronts ones already replaced when I bought it). Made a huge improvement, but still more to do.

Bought new control arms, not just the bushings. Not looking forward to it but at least we don't have to deal with rust in this part of the country. I have my PB Blaster and 24" breaker bars as well as an electric impact wrench if thing get nasty. I have my digital torque wrench to put it all back together.

I've read on here that the easiest way to do this is to leave the car on the ground so that's what I'm going to do. One control arm at a time. If this goes okay, I'll buy upper control arms and install them next week.

Any other advise, guidance, suggestions, words of encouragement?

98ZJOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Chock your wheels on both sides. You dont want anything to move after you've removed a control arm.

I didnt need a breaker bar on mine. I just used a 1/2" drive ratchet, laid under the Jeep on my back and used my foot to put steady pressure on it to loosen the nuts. It's a pretty simple job if you take your time.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.