installed a new Accel Cap & Rotor, but now I have a miss-fire when it is running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > installed a new Accel Cap & Rotor, but now I have a miss-fire when it is running

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-09-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
jenniferny
1998 ZJ 

installed a new Accel Cap & Rotor, but now I have a miss-fire when it is running

I have a 98 5.9 Limited with 66,000 miles so I thought it was time for a Cap and Rotor. Everything seemed to go fine until the last couple of wires which popped off on their own. The only other thing I noticed was that when I had the old cap off it looked like the plastic thing, which I think is the Pick Up, looked like it had moved. There was a screw hole that was now at the back of the distributor and it looked like it belonged where the screw from the cap goes into the distributor on the drivers side where it is round, unlike the passenger side where it is a square mounting hole, so I moved it and put the distributor cap screw through the hole. When I hit the key to start it after finishing, the engine started right up, no back fires or any thing else except that it feels like a plug is misfiring because the engine has a definite miss that isn't really noticeable at idle but becomes pronounced as the RPM's go up.. Does anyone know where I can get a picture of the distributor with the wires that shows where on the cap each wire goes and then to which cylinder they go to from their position on the cap. Did I do the right thing in moving the Pick Up back to where the distributor cap screw is. Has anyone else had this problem? I am hoping that it is something really simple like I mixed up a couple of wires.
This is another case of over confidence where I thought to myself 'Ive done this a million times before and never had a problem and will not have one this time. was I ever wrong and you would think I would know better by now.
I am not a professional mechanic so the terms and descriptions may sometimes be crude, but I am describing them the best that I can.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I would just ask that you keep the laughter down do a dull roar because I already have a headache from banging my head against the wall for being so dumb in the first place.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

Unread 06-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Not sure what you know , so , I'll make it as simple and clear as I can .

Driver's side 4 cylinders are from front to back 1-3-5-7
Pass side 4 cylinder from front to rear 2-4-6-8

On your distributer car , you will see a raised numer "1" , obviously , that's for the #1 cylinder . From that point , and going clockwise on the cap , follow the sequence on your intake , again raised letters . I think it's 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Make sure all the wire-to-cap connections snap on

PS : I want your Trans Am , lol .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
jenniferny
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Not sure what you know , so , I'll make it as simple and clear as I can .

Driver's side 4 cylinders are from front to back 1-3-5-7
Pass side 4 cylinder from front to rear 2-4-6-8

On your distributor car , you will see a raised number "1" , obviously , that's for the #1 cylinder . From that point , and going clockwise on the cap , follow the sequence on your intake , again raised letters . I think it's 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Make sure all the wire-to-cap connections snap on

PS : I want your Trans Am , lol .
"Not sure what you know , so , I'll make it as simple and clear as I can." :

More than it would seem from what just happened, so much so that I was embarrassed to even have to post the question on Jeep Forum.

"PS : I want your Trans Am , lol"

You and most of my neighbors, but I bought it NEW, I ordered it in the beginning of October 1978 and had to wait till March 22, 1979 for it to be delivered, so I think I'll keep it. It draws a crowd every time I start it in my driveway. Just had the engine balanced & blueprinted (because when they pulled the heads they found a factory defect in cylinder #6), 4 Bolt Caps installed, heads ported pls a lot more and I also had a lot of trick stuff done to the trans by a guy that does trannys for NASCAR. This year it gets new carpet and other interior items.

Three lessons I have learned from this experience:

1) No matter how awake you think you are at 4:00AM you probably are not.

2) If you mix up the wires for #4 & #6 cylinder your Jeep will run, it just will not run right and will miss like crazy.

3) If you ever do something dumb to your Jeep, ALWAYS go to Jeep Forum FIRST because they will always be willing to help and they will always(so far at least) have the right answer!!

Thank You so much NewfieZJ for the help!!!

Anyone interested in a NEW set of ACCEL Distributor Cap & Rotor for a Mopar 6 cyl. PM me. I have a new in the wrong box set. I ordered a set for my 5.9L V-8 and that is what the part numbers on the box match, but inside both boxes are 6 cyl. items. I will send more pics to your email address if you would like so you can see more detail. They are brand new, never installed. I paid $17.99 and $16.94 plus tax. I looks like the rotor might be Part # 130229. If interested make a reasonable offer for one or both.
camerabag_photo_1000.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.