Installed ball joints incorrectly? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Installed ball joints incorrectly?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 05-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
Left_Clicker
1996 ZJ 

Okay thanks for that, I've been driving it to and from work since Wednesday 7 miles each way... I'll get a ride from my dad till I fix it.

This morning I took it to my local firestone, a mechanic there said I was missing these open rings with holes on the ends on my ball joints. He told me they go on the bottom of the ball joint and hold it in place there so that it doesn't pop up?

They weren't on the ones that I pulled off of there so I assumed that they didn't go with it and I just put them to the side. Has anyone here replace ball joints and put these open rings on there?

Still holding on to the chance I didn't royally mess up my car...

resized-jf.jpg  
Left_Clicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
a70eliminator

By all means YES put those snap ring in place! I was wondering about those and almost mentioned it.
I did the ones on my daughters ford that had those snap rings but I didn't know about the jeep as I have not yet had the pleasure of doing them.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Modern jeeps do not use retaining rings and have no place to put them.
Those are for use with the old school d44's that had the joints pressed into the knuckle instead of the inner c's.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #19
Left_Clicker
1996 ZJ 

Okay so now I took it to another local mechanic and he said that he's never run into a problem like this, "Once those ball joints are in they should be in there to stay until you press them out again". He said most likely the ball joint that O'Riley's Auto Parts gave me were incorrect for my car and quoted me about 150 to remove and replace it with another ball joint that I get from O'Riley auto parts.

I'm going to go to O'Riley's and let them know my issue, hopefully they will allow me to return a part that is not fitting into my car. I'm going to spend the extra money and get a Moog brand ball joint, hopefully this resolves my issue.

I will update this post if it does for anyone else who has this problem in the future.
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i've heard of maybe two ball joints that were out of spec like that through this forum over all. think they were moog too.

i've seen people post pictures exactly like yours of bad inner knuckles over a dozen times though.

Unread 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
yamifj1200
1997 ZJ 

Didn't Jeep use Spicer ball joints at the factory? I read many post about ball joints before replacing mine with the stock Spicer units. I figure I got 208,000 miles out of the original set why not just go back with those. I picked up two sets from Amazon of all places for 125.00 dollars shipped. Super easy install with the rented ball joint press from an Advance auto and saved a ton of cash over taking it to a dealer or shop. Always buy the best parts you can find for your jeep. The discount parts houses are not the best place to buy steering or suspension parts.. JMO

Eric M

Last edited by yamifj1200; 05-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: added text
yamifj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
Left_Clicker
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
i've heard of maybe two ball joints that were out of spec like that through this forum over all. think they were moog too.

i've seen people post pictures exactly like yours of bad inner knuckles over a dozen times though.
So do you believe I need to replace the knuckle instead of the ball joint?

Quote jamifj1200

Didn't Jeep use Spicer ball joints at the factory? I read many post about ball joints before replacing mine with the stock Spicer units. I figure I got 208,000 miles out of the original set why not just go back with those. I picked up two sets from Amazon of all places for 125.00 dollars shipped. Super easy install with the rented ball joint press from an Advance auto and saved a ton of cash over taking it to a dealer or shop. Always buy the best parts you can find for your jeep. The discount parts houses are not the best place to buy steering or suspension parts.. JMO

Quote jamifj1200

I'll try to return it and ask for Spicer brand ball joints, I can't wait for shipping though because this car is my daily driver so I need it by the 15th of the month.
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #23
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I believe you should try a different ball joint. But not moog. Moog are not known for their ball joints being very good at all for jeeps.

I think napa sources their top tier joints from Dana. But you'll pay close to three times as much locally as you will online for real spicer joints.

The new joint will tell the whole tale, I don't think you can buy over size body joints. The problem is rare enough that there's no market for it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.