information center question?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > information center question??

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 05-17-2007, 02:13 AM   #1
Stuart
1998 ZJ 

information center question??

on my 98 GC, the information center in the lower dash has a picture of the car, and only shows the status of the 4 wheel drive (neutral, 4-low, 4-high) but I notice on some others, it will show when a door is open, a light is burned out and some even have a digital read with various information.

my question is: is it possible to change mine out for one that will tell me more then status my 4 wheel drive is in? is the wiring already there and it's just a matter of changing out the information center? I see a lot of those units for sale on e-bay and have always wondering if I could change mine out for one that would give me a little more information.

thanks

Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2007, 05:25 AM   #2
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

What more information are you looking for it to tell you?

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

Is this a Laredo vs Limited thing?

Kind of difficult to answer, since the OP claims to have a hybrid (his sig)
JG_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Stuart
1998 ZJ 

my son has a 94 grand and his will tell you when an exterior light is burned out or a door is open, the door thing is a constant problem with mine, if a door is ajar or the back hatch window is not latched, then all the interior lights stay on, then everyone has to check their doors and the back window to see what was left open on my 98, on my sons jeep, if a door is ajar, the information center will at least tell you which one, on my jeep, it wont tell you anything, so I was wondering if some of those information centers were interchangable so I could put one in mine that might at least let me know when a door is still open.

it gets to be kind of pain in the back side when I have kids in and out of the car, and we're ready to go but the interior lights won't go out so the question comes up, "ok, who didn't get their door shut? check them all"

or maybe it's just a matter of dad not wanting his Jeep out done by his kids Jeep? now I'm forced to lift mine, our two jeeps are looking toooo much alike at the moment, "like father like son"?

I hope I make better sense now.
thanks for the replys, Stuart
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

At most you will get a working clock and maintenance reminder..

Your jeep may or may not have the door sensors and so forth..Not the same sensors as turning the lights on and off.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2007, 11:50 PM   #6
Decipticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
on my 98 GC, the information center in the lower dash has a picture of the car, and only shows the status of the 4 wheel drive (neutral, 4-low, 4-high) but I notice on some others, it will show when a door is open, a light is burned out and some even have a digital read with various information.

my question is: is it possible to change mine out for one that will tell me more then status my 4 wheel drive is in? is the wiring already there and it's just a matter of changing out the information center? I see a lot of those units for sale on e-bay and have always wondering if I could change mine out for one that would give me a little more information.

thanks

Stay away. Every zj I have been in with that damn thing throws the rear lamp failure. Mine also throws coolant sensor bad and service 4wd switch. My friends right rear door never shuts appearently. Consider yourself lucky for not having it. I have considered ripping it out, and will probably do so in the future when I have switches to put in its place.
Unread 05-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #7
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

so do you have a Laredo or a Limited?

if you want help you need to supply a little info

im guessing you have a Laredo and your son has a Limited

you want the information center thats in the Limited to be in your Laredo. I dont think the Laredo has the proper wiring/sensors for you to do that

oh and fix your sig so it doesnt say your Grand Cherokee is a Limited AND a Laredo
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2007, 12:33 AM   #8
Decipticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Matt
so do you have a Laredo or a Limited?

if you want help you need to supply a little info

im guessing you have a Laredo and your son has a Limited

you want the information center thats in the Limited to be in your Laredo. I dont think the Laredo has the proper wiring/sensors for you to do that

oh and fix your sig so it doesnt say your Grand Cherokee is a Limited AND a Laredo

Actually the hookups are there if you wanted to switch. Older 93-95 had one connector while 96-98 had 2.
Unread 05-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #9
Stuart
1998 ZJ 

as far as wether mine is a limited or a Laredo, all the paperwork I fot with the car lists it s a limited right down to the owners manual, it has every concievable option on it you could get for the 98 model year right down to the trim package, the only thing that has ever caused me to question wether or not it is a limited is that it's got a 5.2 in it instead of the 5.9, no hood lovers, and no "limited" tag on the fender or doors, I do know that it was origionally a corperate special order when it was built, it was delivered almost a year late, but it is the only one like it I have ever seen, I've seen some laredos that were close to what mine is, but lacking some of the options that I have, I'm the second owner, and my sons car is a plane jane laredo with a 6 cylinder in it
Unread 05-18-2007, 01:19 AM   #10
stealthzj
1994 ZJ 

The limited came with the 4.0, the 5.2 and the coveted 5.9. So, engine is not a tell tale sign. To answer your question, yes you can swap out the info center, although not ALL the features will work. The wiring is more trouble than it is worth, but it is pre-wired. Jeep946 did this conversion on his Laredo. It will tell you when the doors are open as well as washer fluid low, maint. schedule, coolant level and Date and Time but it is not worth the effort. Hell, you can have mine. There are very few things that annoy me more than that beeping when some sensor thinks too much.
Unread 05-18-2007, 02:22 AM   #11
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decipticon
Actually the hookups are there if you wanted to switch. Older 93-95 had one connector while 96-98 had 2.
Got 2 connectors on my 95.. Its something that changed year to year and even then its a guess i think. The GDM had 1 connector while the VIC I installed had 2 both connectors were behind there..

Your best bet is to get one from your year grand.

If you dont have them you will have to deal with beeps or add the coolant level sensor + tank since they are different, washer fluid level sensor + tank, door ajar sensors (Not the same as the ones that turns the interior lights on, at least my year didnt sense this when I installed the digital version), and oil level sensor as some had this.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
Doc Gary
1995 XJ Cherokee 

what if you take out the vic does it mess anything up? Or can i rip the sucker out?
Unread 11-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #13
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Gary
what if you take out the vic does it mess anything up? Or can i rip the sucker out?
do we really need to answer that....ummmm...not. Some on here would say rip everything out and go wheelin
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
2manysleds
2003 WJ 

I have just changed the VIC in a 1995 Grand Cherokee Orvis with one from a 1993 Limited. The thing plugged in fine, but the "Check oil level" warning is now displaying. I see on a search that the earlier model years had a sensor on the engine, which the '95 doesn't have. Is there any way to disable this feature? I read where a resistor could be used at the location by the starter on a vehicle where an engine was used without the sensor on a vehicle which was equipt with one in the original engine. Can anything be done here? This could be a vehicle wiring fix or an internal board fix on the VIC. Hopefully the vehicle has the wiring under the dash or in a loom someplace. Everything else on the display functions correctly. The old one had burnt out.

Thank you for any help you can offer me.

-Les
2manysleds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Dang.
Nearly 2 year old dead thread resurection.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.