infinity sound and subs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > infinity sound and subs?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani

Unread 06-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
wj03grandy
2003 WJ 

infinity sound and subs?

under my rear passenger seat is a amp (i think) for my sound system that came stock. i have some old 10" subs in my garage and i was wondering of there was a way to hook them up useing that infinity thing under the seat. has anyone done this or know how? or if the thing will even push the 10's

wj03grandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
bcollier1823
1998 ZJ 

The amp under the seat is pushing your speakers. Technically it'd work but if you wanna be pushin subs get a real amp, not a stock one like that. It's not gonna be putting out a whole lotta wattage (rms) and probably wouldn't move any sub too well.
Unread 06-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
wj03grandy
2003 WJ 

thats what i thought but i thought i would ask
thanks for the help
wj03grandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
nocluejimbo
2012 MK Patriot 

It is a really simple process to tap into the wires feeding the amp with a "Hi-Lo output converter" (costs about $20, takes speaker wire connection in, sends RCA low level signal out) and send that signal to another amplifier to use for your subs. You can find a mono amp around $100 all day long.
nocluejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

wjjeeps.com has a wiring diagram. For some odd reason the remote turn on wire for the stock amp on our WJ was around 6 volts?!?! So it wouldn't power on my amp. I ended up putting the subs in the ZJ when I got it. My amp is pretty weak, so I have it tapped into the power for the factory amp as well. It hasn't blown any fuses yet or had any problems in the 2 years its been installed. I would reccomend to run a separate power wire though, I even have another power wire run to the back of my Jeep now for my compressor but I never hooked the amp over to it out of laziness.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Some_Anchovies
1995 ZJ 

nah, you wouldn't want to do that. for one it wouldn't power the subs well in the first place, and second, you want a monoblock amp for most applications where there are more than 1 sub. Sure, a 2 channel bridgable amp will work, but considering 4ohm subs are the most common, you wouldn't be able to wire 2 4ohm subs to a bridgeable 2 channel without sacrificing power or without causing an unstable amp.

Go get a mono block and set it up right. you'll get the most out of your subs and amp without the fear of overloading anything, or having an underpowered set-up, which usualy is the cause for most subs blowing, not overpowering.
Some_Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
longliverock39
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj03grandy View Post
under my rear passenger seat is a amp (i think) for my sound system that came stock. i have some old 10" subs in my garage and i was wondering of there was a way to hook them up useing that infinity thing under the seat. has anyone done this or know how? or if the thing will even push the 10's
Eh, you really don't wanna try to run subs off the stock amp. For starters the stock amp (well, the whole stock system) is crap. The amp under the rear seat powers the speakers, and it can barely do that. If you have a stock headunit, the speakers need the amp as the headunit does not have a built in amp like many aftermarket ones do. Even if you did somehow use the stock amp for the subs, that amp pushes maybe 30w per channel at 2 ohms which won't really make for good bass. There really isn't much customizing you can do with the stock infinity system in place. If you really wanna use those subs, buy an aftermarket amp, wire it all up right and run the subs off that.
longliverock39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
nelson1248
2002 WJ 

so what would you recommend for a guy who has 3 subs... i feel that my wiring isnt quite how it should be... i have a 2 channel brigdeable amp... should i start by getting rid of my amp and getting a mono block anp too? i hear a bunch of people on the street with only one sub and i can hear there bass from pretty far and mine seams like you can only hear it when your inside...

may my amp and probably the way i ran the wires from the amp to the subs be the problem??

sorrry for the thread jack man but this might benefit you too before you go out and buy an amp
Unread 06-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Some_Anchovies
1995 ZJ 

what kind of subs are they?

For one, wiring 3 subs up to an amp is tricky, cause the ohm's are gonna be weird.

I would, if your amp can't power 3 subs properly, but can run 2, keep all 3 subs in the sub box.

Then, I would wire 2 of the subs up (probably the one on the left, and one on the right) so that your amp and subs are getting the most power and stability from them. The center sub would work as a resonator, and you would get much more bass output than just wiring 3 subs up, not powering them properly and having problems.

PM me if you'd like more in depth help yourself.
Some_Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.