Infamous stalling problem identified, temporary cure 1997 grand Cherokee - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 888 Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 AM
sadass
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
We need someone to manufacture new pcm's. Like that will happen. My last one was installed month and a half ago. Starting to act up. So I guess I need a stack of reman pcms to keep the Grand. Maybe I could install some sort of vending device like in a candy bar machine. I drop$200 in the slot and another pcm falls into place. LOL,try a pcm bar with its nice gelatinous center.
gelatinous center I could not find the term I was looking for when I said it was hermetical sealed in something.

5NineZJ,35mtr/k IRO 7" LA F/R Detroit F/HP-4.56 R/Aussie 44A. ARB Snorkel/JRC Sliders/ Protofab w/9500S./Bushwhackers. Novak242 TCcable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 888 Old 01-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Flyboy161
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, trip home was uneventful. I will say the zip ties worked for a short time but eventually even that was not enough to maintain a good connection for me.
The hose clamp I installed last night worked... for now. It keeps all three clamps tight (and I mean TIGHT) where the zip ties did not.
Only time will tell.
Myetball? You did the hose clamp trick too? Is that working so far? If so I'd leave the clamps in place. If you have a bad plug I'd stick with that as opposed to going back to the zip ties. They just won't hold up over time and they do stretch a little. I am missing a lock tab on my C1 like the guy whose pic I stole below
The connector closest to us is C1.Pin 7 inside that connector (at the top middle of the connector) is the coil signal wire. Like I said earlier, my thing is either that C1 connector being loose or the PCM has a bad connetion internally. I dunno. But I'll keep everyone here posted of how it works for me.
I'm curious how many folks are missing the lock tabs on ANY one of their connectors. Heat, weather and cold are all contributors to plastic breaking down over time. Mine is obvious, others might not be. Say the tab might be broken on the bottom of the plug. It might be C2 or C3.
Attached Thumbnails
2009_09170037-2.jpg  

Owning a jeep is like raising a rebellious teenager: the more you love it and nurture it and buy nice things for it, the more it says, "screw you! I'm doing drugs and drinking because I hate you!"
post #33 of 888 Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Flyboy161
2004 TJ Wrangler 

And for the record. Mine typically stalls around 30 to 50 miles per hour. Not at idle. My idle speed is a little low when the engine warms up (about 450 to 500 rpm)but I believe that is caused by carbon buildup in the throttle body. I'll deal with that next...

Owning a jeep is like raising a rebellious teenager: the more you love it and nurture it and buy nice things for it, the more it says, "screw you! I'm doing drugs and drinking because I hate you!"

post #34 of 888 Old 01-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Myetball
1998 ZJ 

I have not gone to the zip ties. Figured I was having good luck with the clamps so why mess with it.

Hmmm, that pic looks familiar.
post #35 of 888 Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Flyboy161
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know right? Ha ha! It was such a good pic of the fix that I had to use it. Funny that both our C1 connectors are broken like that. So how long have you been using this? And no repeats?

post #36 of 888 Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Well today I modified an idea that I saw here a little bit. Zeejays zipties, flyboys hoseclamp, and somewhere I saw two aluminum bars that sandwhiched the connectors. All are excellent ideas so please no one think I'm trying to one up anyone. I bought a stick of 1x1/8 aluminum stock and cut the pieces about an inch wider than the pcm. The lower piece I machined a small relief so on the left side of the pcm it would clear the mounting boss and allow the bar to sit squarely in line with the connectors. Since I had about 1/2 in. exposed on either end of the pcm I drilled and tapped a 1/4 hole in the center both exposed areas. I clamped the upper and lower bars together and transferred my holes to the upper bar, no tapping. Then since I wanted a little adjustment, I added two strips of 1/8 thick adhesive backed foam weatherstrip to the pcm facing sides of each bar. To add more stability and prevent me from overtightening the clamp I sized some nylon bushings in length by putting some spare pcm plugs into a spare pcm and and tightened the through bolts evenly. When I had compressed the foam a fair amount I marked the distance between the bars on the bushings and cut them to that length.I then installed the whole contraption on the jeep. Hopefully it will apply even pressure across thefronts of the connectors without distorting the plugs. Would've posted pics but no cam.I will try anything than repinning the connector. I took one apart and 32 wires want to go everywhere. The limited space would have to work {length of harness}, would make that a real treat.
post #37 of 888 Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Flyboy161
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a good idea coralman. I'd like to see that. I love these forums, there is a lot of good info out there. I dorked around with the thought of repinning my connector too and agree with you...a nightmare waiting to happen. The earlier PCM had a single connector with a screw in the middle to hold it in. I think whoever at Chrysler designed these plugs should be talked to. The heat/cold, etc just breaks down the plastic locks on them.

post #38 of 888 Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

We will see come tomorrow afternoon. Thats the time it wants to act up. I may have to trim the through bolts abit. I can get the pins, and have a specialty crimper, but I would have to do alot of practicing to get the crimp right while being under the hood and soldering the tag end. That is after untaping the harness, pulling the most likely culprit out of the bunch{the coil driver} and using 53 yr old eyes to crimp a terminal that is about the size of a toothpick. Yeah right.
post #39 of 888 Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Myetball
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy161 View Post
I know right? Ha ha! It was such a good pic of the fix that I had to use it. Funny that both our C1 connectors are broken like that. So how long have you been using this? And no repeats?
Been using it since I posted that pic originally, not sure how long ago that was.

Been having an intermittent misfire and just a few minutes ago noticed my no. 1 sparkplug boot is arcing. Since it is dark out I could see the misfire corresponds to when the boot arcs, not all the time but randomly. I'm sure I damaged the boot taking it off the last time since it's such a PITA to get to behind the A/C pump.
post #40 of 888 Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Flyboy161
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No doubt, coralman. My 46 year old eyes had trouble on the work bench, I can't imagine trying that in the car.

Hey Myetball, thanks! It is good to hear some long time feedback. So many folks say they'll keep us posted and then <pfft>

Mine is still going strong through a wide range of temperatures and humidity. We had rain yesterday and not a hiccup. But only time will tell...

post #41 of 888 Old 01-26-2011, 07:18 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Yeah, we need to start a post that says " You know you own a jeep when time....."
post #42 of 888 Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 AM
FALudwig
1994 ZJ 

What size is that clamp on the PCM?
post #43 of 888 Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Flyboy161
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to say it is about an 8 inch diameter clamp with about 1/2 of it being threads. That gives enough slack to form around the PCM nicely and still tighten up. And it slipped right over the top.

post #44 of 888 Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Myetball
1998 ZJ 

In the pic above you're looking at a pair clamps screwed together. You just can't see the other screw fitting because it's behind the PCM. If I remember correctly, they were 3" clamps.
post #45 of 888 Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Flyboy161
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used one large clamp on mine. I was able to find about an eight inch clamp. Myetball, I'm sorry for stealing your pic. This one is actually mine, for the record.
Attached Thumbnails
my clamp smaller.JPG  

Last edited by Flyboy161; 01-28-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: correct grammar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.