The Inexperienced, Cheap-o Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Inexperienced, Cheap-o Build Thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

New lower control arm bushings all the way around. Not too bad of a repair, except for the front bolt on the front driver side control arm, that was tough to get to working around the brake rotor. I just turned my wheel all the way to the right, and then used like 20 inches of wrench extensions and a long breaker bar and pipe, and it came off nicely.

Also put in a new steering damper, to replace the stock one, and it made the wheel a lot easier to turn. Baby steps.

And replaced my upstream oxygen sensor with an NTK. That sure was fun getting that b-word off... But it fixed my stalling out problem when I started my Jeep.

Up next is the viscous coupler! I'm excited for this one, and I'll take lots of pictures and maybe some video. We will see...

Unread 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

New fluid and gasket in the rear differential, and new speakers in the rear doors to fix those worn out, surround-less speakers that were there.

The gears look darn good in the rear differential, I was excited to see that.
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Today was an amazing day, 80 degrees compared to the 30s we'd had over the past week.

So today was the installation of the rear door panels, which I removed when I replaced the speakers awhile back. I waited so long because I ruined most of the door panel snaps taking the door panel off, and I wanted to try to glue the vinyl armrest back on, mine was peeling unfortunately. So here are the pictures of the armrest which I think looks pretty good, but might not after a few days in the sun...:

Glued:

Weighed down:

Installed!:

I also disconnected the keypad that controls the memory seats and mirror, stupid function anyway, and now I can finally use my remote thingy. And something I've been keeping my eye on for awhile now, is the front track bar that I replaced. I replaced it with a Moog track bar and its got quite a bit of rust on it, which appears to have accumulated rather quickly. And by quickly I mean less than 2000 miles and 3 months. Take a look:

Granted I do live in the "salt belt" but the OEM track bar didn't have nearly this much rust on it, and it was installed for 16 years. I had better hopes for how the Moog would hold up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.