immobiliser Problem 1997 Jeep GC LTD - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > immobiliser Problem 1997 Jeep GC LTD

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Just an idea, not a definite answer! But certainly worth trying - no idea what the autospark is talking about reprogramming the jeep...

Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Oh - the key does not need programmed. There is nothing in it to program! If your fob needs reprogrammed then you need to take it to the dealer (like if you break or lose it) - they can reprogram the fob, you can buy them secondhand on Ebay. What year is the jeep?
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
dalton316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro16 View Post
Oh - the key does not need programmed. There is nothing in it to program! If your fob needs reprogrammed then you need to take it to the dealer (like if you break or lose it) - they can reprogram the fob, you can buy them secondhand on Ebay. What year is the jeep?
ita a 1998 was wondering about key as i only have the valet key not the main one and i thought that maybe you could only use it so many times that was all
dalton316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

No, youe Valet key will start the engine fine - it just stops your "valet" fella from getting into the glove box. so you can leave him with the key and lock away your GPS, stereo front, ect - while still letting him start it to move it around. If it would start, lol.
A 1998 will have the M&S immobiliser on it - they were installed as the ZJs came off the boat at a warehouse, to meet Thatcham requirements - from what I was told by the M&S engineer, they needed an extra starter cut - that's what M&S installed, and he told me how to bypass.
But that's not your problem - Have your Autospark ring M&S on 01256 306800 and ask to speak to Del in the car electronics section - he knows his stuff!
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Same year as mine, btw - he'll phone back or email them and see if there is anything he can do to help, very likeable fella and easy to talk to.
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
dalton316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro16 View Post
Same year as mine, btw - he'll phone back or email them and see if there is anything he can do to help, very likeable fella and easy to talk to.
thanks for the help will ring him when i get jeep back hopefully tom need to spend as much time as possible to get it back on road and the autospark aint got the time to do it so will bring it home and start trying to source fault will let you know how i get on
Unread 05-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #22
dalton316

ok got jeep back today its up and running but aint perfect apparently the issue was a module although he couldnt tell me what one or what it was called he has bypassed it and the jeep is running and all electrics are working total cost £180 only issue i have is the radio is asking for a code that i dont have and when driving only the vic display continuously flashes but at least im driving again any help sorting these two things would be greatfully appreciated
Unread 05-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #23
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Bin the radio, they are rubbish anyway. I put a Tevion on my old Golf - USB, SD card, aux input, CD - all for £35. And it sounds better as well!
The manual tells you how to set the VIC...
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #24
Oshwin
1996 ZJ 

I know these posts are old but could any 1 tell me is the 2 button fob imobiliser the same as any after market 1 or does it run in line with the ecu
Oshwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #25
Mike2909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The fobs are programmed to the vehicle they belong to, but (I believe) only the dealers can program them to the vehicle.
The fob disarms the immobiliser which is what is mentioned in this article.
Camaro can explain all that to you. I have a couple of spare fobs if you need one but you will still have to get it programmed to your Jeep.
Mike2909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #26
ian_jeep

Hi,

We are experiencing the same problem.

The jeep was working perfectly for 6 months, and one day we nipped into town, got out and the key fob wouldn't work.

We changed the batteries, still no luck. We tried to follow the manual to reprogram them to no avail.

We tried a few garages and all said to go to a jeep dealership, got the car towed there (after much stress) and as soon as it was off the tow truck the jeep guy came and sat in the car and the fob worked straight away.

There had been no problems since until today, where the same thing happened. Got to town, got some bits and pieces, went to unlock the car and nothing.

This time we didn't stress as much, went for a beer and a walk on the beach. And three hours later, got back to the car, the usual fob wouldn't work, pressed the secondary fob and it worked.

Not really sure why it's acting like this.

However we live in spain, in the mountains ( uk 4.0 1997 grand cherokee) , because of where we live, if this continues we are going to be really boned at somepoint.

If there are any tricks to reprogram it so it works without fault, or a trick to bypass the immobiliser completely, could someone please help? It would be much much much appreciated.

Our keyfob(s) are the same ones as posted earlier in this thread.

We don't particularly need central locking or the car to be alarmed if it comes down to it, just need 100% reliability.

I can take any photos needed if neccesary.

kind regards, Ian
ian_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.