immobiliser Problem 1997 Jeep GC LTD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > immobiliser Problem 1997 Jeep GC LTD

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
trojan

immobiliser Problem 1997 Jeep GC LTD

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.0 running petrol/LPG on a 1997 plate which has the following issues.

Firstly the remote alarm fob stopped working, which in turn meant i could not start the jeep, i searched the net for a solution and tried to earth the wire located in the driver footwell (didn't work for me).

so i started unplugging things in a bid to try and bypass the alarm, i found a white plug under the steering column with about 14 black wires which when unplugged it would start, but i had nothing on the dash working , no speedo battery etc, if i plug it back in the vehicle would run okay, needless to say if you turn the ignition off you had to repeat the process.

This is a UK spec jeep and if i have read correct the factory alarm is wired different to the US version.

Does anyone know which wire(s) i need to cut/earth to get my jeep to work or offer any solution or advice as i have exhausted my very limited knowledge.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Just out of curiosity, try using the key in the passenger door to un lock your jeep. That may work. If not, try using the switch on the pasenger door (inside) that may also work. The wire color i come up with is purple/yellow and it would be in the drivers door harness. Check both drivers and passenger door harness sometimes if you dont find it in one, you will find it in the other. Hope it works out for you.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
trojan

Hi, thanks for the quick reply i had tried everything except the passenger door switch, it locks & opens the doors and flashes the indicator lights but wont let me start the jeep so no joy i am affraid, and i tried to earth the purple/yellow prior with no joy, is the purple/yellow the same wire in the UK model.

anything else i can try ?
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
davehope80
1996 ZJ 

May have a solution for you

Hi trojan

I am in the uk and also have a GC on a 96 plate. I had this problem when i first got the jeep.

What type of key fob do you have.

Have you reprogramed the key fob back in to the car. If not then you will have problems all the time to get the thing started.

If possible post a pic up of your key fob. I keep having to reprogramme mine evey couple of week's. If the key fob is the same as mine i will send you a pm of how to reprogram the key fob back into the car.
davehope80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
trojan

Hi thanks for the reply, please find a picture of the fob http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d.../IMAGE_197.jpg
Unread 07-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
merlinTec

Hi
Have you check the wires from the door to the body? they brake and so the alarm (that is a May and Scofield one) doesn't get an unlock signal from the door module so stops it from starting. They are all black wires so you don't know what does what but the original plugs are still there and plug into the alarm unit behind the light switch.
Check the wire from the door first if not removing the alarm and putting the orginal plugs back from were they came from and then earthing the wire could work, but I have not tried it.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 07-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Rocks

Disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds, then reconnect and try again.

If yours is similar to the 95s, a good way to permanently disable the ignition kill feature of the alarm system is to start the engine, and while the engine is running, disconnect the alarm module located under the floor of the glove box and leave it disconnected.

BTW, earthing the purple wire didn't work for me either, but the above procedure worked perfectly.
Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
kevshares
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Would this work for a Jeep G
rand cherokee 1997 Laredo (UK spec) ??????? Thanks.
kevshares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Sorry for dragging up an old topic, but this is important for UK owners a if you lose or break the only keyfob, you end up with a useles ZJ! I won't publish the info on the forum for the sake of security, but I have spoken with a very decent guy at May & Scofield, and he has explained to me how to kill the immobiliser. Note that you will still have to defeat the American system as detailed in the other post, by grounding a wire. The M&S system was an add-on which includes a starter cut to meet Thatcham requirements, I can tell you how to get round this. PM me for info. Mine is a 1998, works perfectly so now I can install a remote start, at last!
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
dalton316

98 gc orvis

hi my problem is similar my car wont power up no lights nothing its as if there is no battery its currently at an auto electrics but theyve had it almost a month to no avail say they need software for this car to be able to work on it my keypad is the same as in picture but i only hae the valet key and wondering if i need to reprogram it could somneone tell me how to please as i need my jeep back asap thanks
dalton316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
dalton316

dave i have tried to pm you but to no avail as system says youre inbox is full could you pm how to program key thanks i have the same fob as in picture cheers
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

It should power up even if the M&S immobiliser is still in place, it only provides the starter cut. I think your problem is somewhere else. Have you checked the IOD fuse in the underbonnet fuse box OK?
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
dalton316

for camaro

whats the iod m8 ?
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Ignition Off Draw - basically, the fuse you would take out so that the Jeep doesn't end up with a flat battery if you were to leave it sitting for ages. Should be marked in your fusebox (underbonnet), and itf it were blown then you wouldn't get anything powering up - cluster, headlights, nothing.
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
dalton316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro16 View Post
Ignition Off Draw - basically, the fuse you would take out so that the Jeep doesn't end up with a flat battery if you were to leave it sitting for ages. Should be marked in your fusebox (underbonnet), and itf it were blown then you wouldn't get anything powering up - cluster, headlights, nothing.
thanks will give that a try and let you know the cars at an auto electricians and he says hes checked the fuses and relays but will check myself.
cant understand how it is so difficult just to get power to the car even jeep were stumped as you cant get reading from obd without power its a nightmare

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.