im fighting death wobble and losing miserably - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > im fighting death wobble and losing miserably

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
zippome
2000 WJ 

im fighting death wobble and losing miserably

so as the title says, i am indeed fighting death wobble. its gotten to the point that im avoiding the jeep as much as i can. its like dw is breathing down my neck every second im in it. i got dw as i was going 70 once with my girlfriend and her 4yr old brother in the back and it scared the crap out of me. i really need to fix this before anything bad happens. money is really tight right now so im cheaping out (even though i know i shouldnt). what do you think of this kit? SUSPENSION JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 99-04 BALL JOINT ENDS :eBay Motors (item 140339219151 end time Sep-10-09 12:11:42 PDT)

if you were in my position, would you go for it? i know cheap parts arent the way to go but i really cant drop $200+ right now.

i got an alignment a bit ago. i have a fresh rancho SS. Bushings, LCA's, and TB are all in good condition. so i figured this was my next step. If anyone thinks i should do something differently, please let me know

thanks
mark

4" Zone Offroad Kit, 16x7 Cragar Soft 8's, 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns, Rock-It Sliders, Rancho SS, Yakima Load Warrior, Flowmaster Super 40, Reverse Lights, 2 Lights Up Front, Custom 6 Switch Plate, Cobra 76 XTR CB with PA, Lightbar, Custom Hitch Tire Carrier, Fleabay Warm Air Intake
zippome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Check your uppers.

While we were doing my long arms, I noticed tht my upper control arm bushings were disintegrated giving me DW at above 45mph, only with the passenger side front tire. That's the bushing that was shot.

Check your uppers.

Unbolt upper arm one at a time and see if the bushings are good.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
zippome
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvtruenos View Post
Check your uppers.

While we were doing my long arms, I noticed tht my upper control arm bushings were disintegrated giving me DW at above 45mph, only with the passenger side front tire. That's the bushing that was shot.

Check your uppers.

Unbolt upper arm one at a time and see if the bushings are good.
thanks a lot, i think ill check that out tomorrow. i figured that the ball joints and tre's and such are all stock and after 150,000 miles, its time to change them anyway. so i think im going to order that set anyway.

if the bushings are shot, where can i get just UCA bushings? is that something kolak would have? also, if one bushing is shot, im just going to replace them all. might as well
4" Zone Offroad Kit, 16x7 Cragar Soft 8's, 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns, Rock-It Sliders, Rancho SS, Yakima Load Warrior, Flowmaster Super 40, Reverse Lights, 2 Lights Up Front, Custom 6 Switch Plate, Cobra 76 XTR CB with PA, Lightbar, Custom Hitch Tire Carrier, Fleabay Warm Air Intake
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:27 AM   #4
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

My TRE's are in god condition, but the joints at the draglink are all shot.

I have about 3in of play in my steering wheel, but no DW even at 85.

2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
zippome
2000 WJ 

so i just read over that listing again and realized it said tie rod ends and outer tie rod ends. can someone explain....
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Would I buy that junk for my WJ, no. But if you're in a bind, I guess your options are limited....

The joint ends are for the tie-rod and draglink. They don't refer to them as draglink ends. Looks to be the complete set of ends.

I see you have the Zone 4" kit. From the description, it comes with only fixed lower control arms. That gives you zero adjustability in terms of caster. If your caster is off, it can contribute to DW.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Plus, doesn't it come with a DPA and DTB?

Check the DTB for stress. Or, get a JKS and use your stock pitman arm.

Unread 08-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd check that front end thorughly. Track bar, control arm bushings, etc, etc. Then replace what's needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.