IL 6 Tune-Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > IL 6 Tune-Up

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
cweb
2005 WK 

IL 6 Tune-Up

I'm planning on changing the sparkplugs on my '00 JGC Laredo in the next month or two. I'm not a mechanic by any means, I can change my oil, replace brake pads and such, will this be a difficult task? Anything special I need to watch for while doing it? Also, any recommendations on plugs? The more money I spend on plugs they better off I am a true statement?

cweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Easy task, esp. on the 4.0. I would rather do it than brakes. Use only the stock replacement plugs for best results. I think they are champion truck plugs, not sure.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

The distributor cap is labeled for the #1 cylinder and the intake manifold has the firing order stamped on it. The rotation of the rotor is clockwise. Thatís all the info necessary to do the job other than paying attention to details.

You always replace the cap, rotor, wires, & plugs at the same time (every 30,000 miles)

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

Accel Ignitions offers a kit (TST16) for the 4.0 up to 1999. They don't list anything for 2000 and up 4.0, but I'm sure there is something available. I'd listen to grease and do wire's,cap,rotor at the same time. It's in-expensive to do as a package.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers View Post
The distributor cap is labeled for the #1 cylinder and the intake manifold has the firing order stamped on it. The rotation of the rotor is clockwise. Thatís all the info necessary to do the job other than paying attention to details.

You always replace the cap, rotor, wires, & plugs at the same time (every 30,000 miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestjam View Post
Accel Ignitions offers a kit (TST16) for the 4.0 up to 1999. They don't list anything for 2000 and up 4.0, but I'm sure there is something available. I'd listen to grease and do wire's,cap,rotor at the same time. It's in-expensive to do as a package.
He doesn't have a distributor boys. Coil packs directly over the plugs from 2000 on
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseewj View Post
He doesn't have a distributor boys. Coil packs directly over the plugs from 2000 on
Thanks for pointing that out

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
No problem

To the OP:

Get the stock plugs and make sure they're gapped correctly. The gaps and plug types can probably be found on here, but you might as well go ahead and invest in a Haynes or Chilton manual. It will be easier to find the information and they are not expensive. It is not as good as an FSM, but it is plenty sufficient for plug changes, brakes, and those type projects.

If you haven't already looked under your hood, it might be a little different than what you're used to seeing. There is no distributor and the spark plug locations won't be blatantly obvious as they are under the coil rail. The Haynes/Chilton manual has pictures of this. Also, get a torque wrench if you don't already have one so you get the correct torque specs on the coil rail bolts and plugs.

That's about it except for keeping an eye for badly fouled plugs, which could well be a sign of bigger problems.
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
Quote:
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
millman
2000 WJ 

It's kind of a PITA to unclip the coil pack rail, so dont. Just unbolt the 6(?) bolts and pull away the rail from the plugs and place it up and out of the way. Thats what i did and it was easy. Champion truck plugs are the way to go. Dive in and get to know your jeep. Youll be fine.
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
To me too... all makes sense now.

Sorry for confusing you with the bad info.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
pigoo
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Actually...it's from 1999 on.
pigoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo View Post

I was thinking that too and then for some reason when I pulled up a site to double-check it said 2000 on. I thought it was odd but I wasn't too worried about being exact since he didn't have one either way

Should have just gone with what I knew in the first place......
Quote:
Unread 05-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
moneypitjeep
2002 WJ 

4 bolts on coil pack. Hope you have better luck than I had. Replaced w/ champion truck plugs and for some reason the PCM took a dump at the same time. Had to tow to 2 shops for repair and still don't have it back$$$$$$.
moneypitjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #13
Ronzo54
2000 WJ 

I just did this the other day, I had a P0303 code and it was running rough, so I went and got some Champion plugs, the coil has 4 long bolts, remove and just pull back gently on the coil rail and the plug covers will come right out, I found it to be relatively painless, it also fixed the rough idle issue.
Good luck,
Ronzo54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

I'll toss in my two cents here:

For a little extra coin, buy replacement coil boots to go on the end of the coil pack (you'll need 6 of them). Sitting right on top of the engine they are exposed to some pretty extreme temps and get brittle over time and can crack or tear.

I've had several customers mistake a misfire for a bad coil pack and all they've needed was new coil boots. The rail style coil pack retails for close to $200, but the boots should only set you back around $30 for all six.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo View Post
Quote:
I was thinking that too and then for some reason when I pulled up a site to double-check it said 2000 on. I thought it was odd but I wasn't too worried about being exact since he didn't have one either way

Should have just gone with what I knew in the first place......
To clear this up...Its '99+ in WJ's and 2000+ for all the other 4.0's. The WJ's got the new ignition system 1 year before the XJ and TJ.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • Bad Tune Up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (16 replies)
  • Tune Up? - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (4 replies)
  • tune up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (15 replies)
  • tune up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (8 replies)
  • tune-up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (8 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.