Ignition Upgrade Options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ignition Upgrade Options

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Ignition Upgrade Options

So...It's that time again to tune up the ol' ZJ. I'm going to use a good quality distributor cap and rotor(something with brass in it)...A good quality set of plug wires, and I have always used Autolite Platnium spark plugs....

What I was wondering was if there was any other upgrades to boost mileage and performance that can be done to the 4.0L... I was thinking about adding a MSD box, since I have done this on a number of vehicals in the past, and was always happy with the results....what does everyone think? any suggestions? Comments?

jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
NewtoZJ
1998 ZJ 

Contact the Guru..Kolak.
NewtoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
caseyliffick
1995 ZJ 

Kolak has a kit he puts together. Guy knows his stuff. Here's the email he sent me for his ignition kit.

Quote:
Here's all the information about my Kolak Ignition for your 1995 ZJ I6 - JeepForum members gt 10% off the pricing below:

My recommendations for the 4.0 ZJ ignition system are designed to improve idle quality and throttle response, and to improve and maximize current transfer. This really helps support other modifications. Here's what I recommend:

Magnecor KV85 ignition wires
MSD high output replacement coil
Heavy duty US made brass terminal distributor cap with rotor
Autolite platinum plugs

Price for the kit is $185.00.

Please take some time to read the information about plug wires on Magnecor's web site at www.magnecor.com. Their wires are the finest I've found - incredibly flexible due to their pure silicone construction, and almost impossible to scorch or burn. Magnecor makes wires for many of the NASCAR teams, and their current transfer capability is amazing.

The MSD high output coil has fully 1/3 more output than the factory coil, and this really works well with the Magnecor wires. It's a direct replacement, and is easy to install. With the coil and wires, you can open up the plug gaps an additional .005 for a bigger spark.
caseyliffick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
5hBlueYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm new to this and am wondering with these ignition upgrades make engine "start up" better? In other words, My 4.2 runs well, isn't particularly strong, but sometimes even after pumping the pedal several times, it still takes a few tries to get it to start. Would this ignition mod help me? Would a nutter help me? I know these answers may be subjective but I'm just looking for opinions and suggestions like the OP is.
5hBlueYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I know a coil and MSD upgrade have made big improvements on V8's I have had before...Start up was quicker, and power and fuel milage were improved... never had a 4.0 before myself...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
fljeepney
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba974 View Post
I know a coil and MSD upgrade have made big improvements on V8's I have had before...Start up was quicker, and power and fuel milage were improved... never had a 4.0 before myself...
I bought my niner with MSD goodies already installed
This thing rocks!
fljeepney is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.