JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Ignition upgrade done...now Jeep dies (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/ignition-upgrade-done-now-jeep-dies-1532617/)

brewcity1 06-05-2013 06:54 AM

Ignition upgrade done...now Jeep dies

Hey guys...I got Kolaks ignition upgrade about 2 months ago...now, my 9er dies intermittently...just shuts off. I traced the problem back to the MSD coil that comes with the package. All I have to do is wiggle the wire under the coil a bit, and it fires right up. Does this sound like a bad connection...or bad coil? If its a bad connection...how to I go about replacing it?
Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

PolkaPower 06-05-2013 07:28 AM

That's part of the upgrade. Saves gas!:laugh:

Sounds like the wire is broken partially. Make sure your grounds are clean and tight first. If it's still bad then you will probably have to splice the wire.

brewcity1 06-05-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 15521962)
That's part of the upgrade. Saves gas!:laugh:

Sounds like the wire is broken partially. Make sure your grounds are clean and tight first. If it's still bad then you will probably have to splice the wire.

LOL...I like that one! :D
Lovely...splicing is the LAST thing I wanted to do. :(
So it sounds like your leaning towards a bad connection, as I am.
I just didnt know if this was a symptom of a bad coil.
I'll check the grounds, and go from there...any advice on what and where to cut, and how to go about this? I am just worried I will make it worse, or wont be able to get it back to working correctly. I guess I dont have much of a choice...as it doesnt run now! :laugh:
Thanks for the help.

PolkaPower 06-05-2013 07:51 AM

Well a bad coil wouldn't suddenly work when the wires are fiddled with in my experience. That is usually a connection. You can go get another coil from a jy and test it out. Don't pull the wire off of the coil while the truck is running to see if it's working or not. That was like releasing Rayden with lightning bolts shooting out all over.

Just to be clear, you are talking about the wire harness with the clip and NOT the plug wire right?

brewcity1 06-05-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 15522056)
Well a bad coil wouldn't suddenly work when the wires are fiddled with in my experience. That is usually a connection. You can go get another coil from a jy and test it out. Don't pull the wire off of the coil while the truck is running to see if it's working or not. That was like releasing Rayden with lightning bolts shooting out all over.

Just to be clear, you are talking about the wire harness with the clip and NOT the plug wire right?

That does NOT sound pleasant!! :eek:
Yes...I am talking about the wire harness under the coil...not the plug wire going to the dizzy. Problem is...I am not sure if its the aftermarket Accel 140021AH Ignition Coil Adapter Harness that came with the kit...or the original wiring going into that harness...or both! :confused:

PolkaPower 06-05-2013 09:35 AM

Well it wasn't an issue before right?

brewcity1 06-05-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 15522477)
Well it wasn't an issue before right?

Good point...it was not an issue before the upgrade. But everything was stock.
So...I guess I will just check the grounds, and clean the connections...if its still an issue...I'll get another pig harness for $20.00 and try that, as you mentioned...everything worked before...so its probably NOT my original wiring that is bad.

coralman 06-05-2013 05:06 PM

The original harnesses {what you are plugging the accel harness into} have been known to give a problem on jeeps once they have been disconnected . Check it out before you drop the cash. Also, did you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before installing?

brewcity1 06-09-2013 12:28 PM

I did disconnect the negative battery during the initial set up and installation, yes.
So I got a new Accel wire harness for the coil...and noticed that there is a little red tab in the connection that goes to the coil on the harness...is that supposed to stay in there, or come out? However...I did NOT disconnect the battery when putting on this new harness.
I didnt take the tab out during the initial swap...but took it out with this new one.
Is it supposed to stay in there?

coralman 06-09-2013 12:34 PM

Like a pull tab? It may be a connector lock.

brewcity1 06-09-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coralman (Post 15538971)
Like a pull tab? It may be a connector lock.

Its kinda like that...I'll snap a pic.

brewcity1 06-09-2013 09:14 PM

I talked to Kolak...he said the tab is to stay in...so I put it back in.
Guess I'll see if she keeps running.

Jeep318 06-10-2013 05:25 AM

How was the ignition system before you put the replacement parts in? Did you redo it as an Upgrade or did you have faulty components? When it does run did you notice any sort of performance gain at all over the factory setup? GL

brewcity1 06-10-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep318 (Post 15541516)
How was the ignition system before you put the replacement parts in? Did you redo it as an Upgrade or did you have faulty components? When it does run did you notice any sort of performance gain at all over the factory setup? GL

The ignition was all stock and working without any problems...I redid it as an upgrade since I was doing a tune up anyway. I did notice a difference...quicker start up, and better throttle response and smoother idle...but that may be do needing a tune up for awhile...but the ignition kit from Kolak is a great upgrade, and I do recommend it. I think I just had a faulty wire harness...because I got to work today without any issues at all. Hopefully it stays that way, and I wont have to replace my Crankshaft Position Sensor. Hope this help! :thumbsup:

The time now is 08:17 AM.