Ignition Pulse Wiper Module Repair Project - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ignition Pulse Wiper Module Repair Project

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #46
donster

Wiper Pulse Module

Not so fast Micifus. My intermittent part has stopped (95 GC) and your
pix and explanation are greatly appreciated. Hope it fixes mine.

donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #47
bobiam

If you feel that you have a bad Ignition Pulse Wiper Module, you can pull it apart and check for burned parts, etc like above, but also check it's connection to the straight pin 6-conductor side. I had a lously connection here that was driving me and my wipers nuts. I finally soldered the pins to the wires for a perfect connection and perfect wipers ever since.
Feel free to contact me for details on this fix.
Bob
Unread 11-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #48
mattyboy

This fix worked perfect for me. Thanks!
mattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #49
bobiam

Glad to hear that! By the way, mine is still perfect since I wrote the message above.

Bob
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #50
HMX
1994 ZJ 

Just wanted to jump on the "it worked for me" bus. Funny enough, after I cracked open the case and turned the circuit board over, I saw that the previous owner had already made two other repairs to the trace, but in different locations.

I also had an XJ module handy to compare. Pretty much everything's the same other than the part numbers on the chip and the black cube. So what functional difference is there between an XJ and a ZJ model?

dan
HMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #51
tarwood

Just wanna also say thanks... Exact same issue of high/low wipers working fine, but no intermittent or delay wiper action. Found the module and viola there's a contact that went open. Haven't soldered it yet, but I shorted it out and the wipers worked fine. Thanks for finding this and posting this fix...
tarwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #52
PlazJ
1994 ZJ 

I was having the same wiper issue on my '94 GC ZJ, but in the end the cause was different. I followed the nice guide here, but turned out my module was not burned and all other components looked or checked ok. (years of electronic repair exp).

So If like me you still have the delay problem after checking/replacing the delay module, there's one more thing you might check if your wiper delay isn't working and the wiper module is ok.

Reseating the harness connector to the main ECM module. (located on the firewall passenger sided in the engine compartment on my '94 ZJ). I had two issues with my ZJ. No delay wipers and an intermittant problem with #7 fuel injector. I concidered them totally unrelated. But while working to solve the injector problem, I checked the injector - ok, checked the injector connector - ok, checked the wire harness -ok, reset the large connector to the EMC module, injector worked again. Days later I found the delay wipers that hadn't worked right in a year, even after tearing into the wiper module, were once again working. Both issue were apparently due to a poor connection at the EMC. The wipers have been doing delay again for a couple of months now and I now and I hope they decide to keep working from now on.
PlazJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:57 AM   #53
MeyerZJ
1994 ZJ 

Back from the dead!

There are two things in life I avoid--woodworking and electronics repairs!

However, given the excellent write up on the module repair, I decided to dance with the on this one and try my luck...

Not only was I able to get the module out and open without cracking/breaking any of the plastic tabs, I was able to clean the joint, heat it, solder a new joint , reassemble and WHALLA!

It took about 20 seconds for the wipers to know exactly what they were supposed to do again, but now they wipe, delay, and when you turn them off, they return home.

This is definately a FAQ grade write-up, considering how many people are probably just like me and were about to order a new multi-switch. The only reason I found the posting is because I searched the Forum to find details on how to crack into the column! That would have been frustrating, to say the least!

THANKS AGAIN!
MeyerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #54
1995Cherokee
1995 ZJ 

Thank you very very much!! I just found this after owning my ZJ for 9 months now. Exact problem as what was posted with the pics. Soldered it right up and bam i now have delay wipers for winter.
1995Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #55
phbrown
1994 ZJ 

according to rock auto the following vehicles use the same module

JEEP CHEROKEE 1993
JEEP CHEROKEE CLASSIC 1996
JEEP CHEROKEE COUNTRY (1993 - 1996)
JEEP CHEROKEE SE (1994 - 1996)
JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT (1993 - 1996)
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 1993
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO (1993 - 1996)
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED (1993 - 1996)
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE ORVIS 1995
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE SE (1994 - 1995)
JEEP WRANGLER 1993
JEEP WRANGLER RENEGADE (1993 - 1994)
JEEP WRANGLER RIO GRANDE 1995
JEEP WRANGLER S (1993 - 1994)
JEEP WRANGLER SAHARA (1993 - 1995)
JEEP WRANGLER SE (1994 - 1995)
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #56
tuesgone832

micifus rules!!!

Thank you so much for the wiper relay diagnostic write-up. It was dead on balls accurate(To quote Marissa Tomei in my Cousin Vinny)
tuesgone832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #57
PlazJ
1994 ZJ 

FYI ... My wiper motor was giving out so I decide to replace it with a new one last week. I also regreased the wiper arm assemblies so it moved much more quickly and easily. My module, which had been fine, died the second I turned on the wipers. *Click* ... burning smell, then no intermittant control.

I quickly applied the fix and I'm back in business.

PlazJ
PlazJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #58
stephen3776
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the write up and pics, my rear wiper will not shut off without pulling the fuse. Checked the switch and it is okay, think I will take a look at the module this weekend.
stephen3776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #59
tsifreak
1995 ZJ 

Cool thank you for posting I will try it on my ZJ with no wipers but high and low if FN sucks!
tsifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #60
tsifreak
1995 ZJ 

Just relized this guy posted this fix from back in 06 (Yea im a rook)
tsifreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windshield wiper

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.