Ignition Pulse Wiper Module Repair Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ignition Pulse Wiper Module Repair Project

Poison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 06-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Ignition Pulse Wiper Module Repair Project

Wipers not working right? Will they only work on high or not return to there orginal postion when you turn them off? Well thanks to jeep946, he informed me it was my Ignition Pulse Wiper Module. This a 30 dollar part but, you might be able to save some cash like I did and fix it your self. Here is what was wrong with mine and what I did to fix it.

The module is located under the drive side kick panel, you will need to remove 2 screws, the two connectors, and then it is just velcroed on. It will look like this.

There is a few plastic clips that can be opened useing a flat head screw driver, try not to break them like I did After you open the box there will be a board in it like this.

There are more plastic clips holding the board in the box and it can be easily removed useing a flat head screw driver. Be careful not to bend the connector pins when you pull it out.

You can see by the red square one of the traces has burned up. Something different might of happened to yours but you should be able to tell be inspection if a component or trace has burned up. I repaired the trace on mine with a pice of striped wire and some solder, not my best soldering job ever but it did the trick.Also be aware that there is a protective coating over all the electronics that you will need to gently scrape it off if you want to do any soldering.

Now just put it all together and reinstall!

The whole job took about 20 minutes and saved me 30 bucks, a wroth while DIY project!

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"

Last edited by micifus; 04-19-2009 at 03:45 PM..
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
cj3a
1995 YJ Wrangler 

woohoo, mine wont retract, I will inspect next weekend, thanks
cj3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by micifus
Wipers not working right? Will they only work on high or not return to there orginal postion when you turn them off? Well thanks to jeep946, he informed me it was my Ignition Pulse Wiper Module. This a 30 dollar part but, you might be able to save some cash like I did and fix it your self. Here is what was wrong with mine and what I did to fix it.

The module is located under the drive side kick panel, you will need to remove 2 screws, the two connectors, and then it is just velcroed on. It will look like this.

There is a few plastic clips that can be opened useing a flat head screw driver, try not to break them like I did After you open the box there will be a board in it like this.

There are more plastic clips holding the board in the box and it can be easily removed useing a flat head screw driver. Be careful not to bend the connector pins when you pull it out.

You can see by the red square one of the traces has burned up. Something different might of happened to yours but you should be able to tell be inspection if a component or trace has burned up. I repaired the trace on mine with a pice of striped wire and some solder, not my best soldering job ever but it did the trick.Also be aware that there is a protective coating over all the electronic that you will need to gently scrape it off if you want to do any soldering.

Now just put it all together and reinstall!

The whole job took about 20 minutes and saved me 30 bucks, a wroth while DIY project!
Lookie Pictures
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

HAHA I played around with it for like 10 minutes and couldnt get it to work. How did you do that? I clicked the insert picture button but it didnt work. Do you need to be a surpporter? Oh and you forgot the bottom one

32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

Unread 06-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
jeep946

well i am glad to hear that you got your wipers fix. thanks for the spot light at the top of the page. have a good one
94 Grand Cherokee, 4.6 stroker, 7 inch custom long arm kit, 33x12.50x15 Firestone destinations m/ts, flow-master 40 series, magnaflow high flow cat, locked front and rear, super axle kits front and rear, pioneer head unit, CB on channel 10, and a B&M built transmission, switched from a 231 to a 242, 2000 Grand Cherokee steering and knuckles and brakes, no abs, wildwood adjustable proportioning valve, and lots more
jeep946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Hey no prob, if it wasnt for you I would of droped 50 plus on the blinker switch arm and module, and still be stuck with borken wipers

32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

Unread 06-05-2006, 05:26 AM   #7
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Nice work and thanks for the write-up & pics. I am sure someone(s) will benefit from this.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
CoyoteCruiser

I looked on my 97 Grand Cherokee and there isn't ant thing there. Where else would it be?
Bob
CoyoteCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
Decipticon

good job with the write up, now i have somewhere to send people when they ask.

The fix has been floating around for a while, its kinda amazing nobody wrote it up before I thought about doing it when i made the fix, but i have no digi camera, and im pretty lazy to boot.
Unread 07-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteCruiser
I looked on my 97 Grand Cherokee and there isn't ant thing there. Where else would it be?
Bob

Hmm it should be right under the kick panel left of the brake it takes 3 screws to take it off, maybe they tucked it up under some where. Anyone with a 97 zj know where it might be???

32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

Unread 07-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
dpierson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteCruiser
Bob
You have to remove the kick panel and it might be tucked up higher (mine was). It also might be wrapped in the grey foam with the sticky backing that they used int he factory around alot of the harnesses.

Traded 8/9/07

[SIZE=1]Black 94 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 42RE/NP231 Command Trac
Sylvania Silverstars, Alpine CD Head Unit, Pioneer 3-Ways in the Doors, Blacked Out Grill, Kolak Exhaust, Clear Corners, Bilstein Shocks, Gas Tank Skid, Rear Hitch, Hitch Wiring, TC Skid, Hellwig RSB, Military FSB, Brembo Front Rotors, OME SS, B&M Supercooler, RE Tie Rod, Limited Power Leather Seats, 30x9.5 Toyo Open Country ATs, Optima Red Top

Next Mods: Upgrade Battery Cables, Sliders, Black Steelies, 3" Lift, Rear Locker, Bumper, HO Alternator, Winch, Driving Lights[/SIZE]
dpierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
Decipticon

From what I remember from when I was asking about mine, they changed the design in 95 or so. 93-95 are in the kick panel. 96-98 are under the hood somewhere, sorry I dont really know any more, I was focused on what applied to mine.
Unread 07-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #13
Decipticon

Ok I felt ambitious. But its kinda bad news for you 96+ guys.

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthrea...r+delay+module
Unread 07-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
CoyoteCruiser

Thanks guys I got it fixed. I switched a relay under the hood took the one for the A/C out and put it in the wiper and it works it goes back to the normal position and the delay is back. I will stop at the dealer tomorrow and get a new one.
Bob
CoyoteCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #15
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Well I am glade I took all those pictures and wrote it all up for no good reason

32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

Tags
windshield wiper

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.