Ignition noise thru the radio? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
02Lightning
2001 WJ 

Well, I hope it's not the alt because it's only about a year old.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L NV242LD Transfer Case, 42RE, 119,500 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM
mikelbca01
1993 YJ Wrangler 

if you are using the speaker output of the radio, this could explain why you have developed engine noise over time.

On a side note: Some of the previous post recommending spark plugs and plug wire change are valid recommendation, but ( no offense ) adding noise filter without knowing where the noise is getting into the system is like shooting in the dark. You are better off troubleshooting the problem down to one wire.

Going back to your connections, the infinity amp for your year, and make vehicle is pre-amp level (unless I got your information wrong). Don't let it throw you off simply because you see what appear to be speaker wires connected to your amp. This is how your factory system is set up, but when you add an aftermarket radio the RCA connections are your low level output, and should be used in order match the system properly.

Now there are many types of aftermarket adapters out there, that provide different ways of interfacing your aftermarket radio with your factory audio system. You likely have an adapter that converts your speaker output (high level audio) to low level. Here's a link to an example of what I'm talking about: http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-ALOC658+++++

Again I used metra adapter as an example, but it could be any companies adapter.

If you find an adapter, of this type, you will notice gain adjustments somewhere on the adapter, you might get away with simply adjusting the gains. Also, the adapter should have a ground wire, it is important that this wire be attached the chassis of the radio.

If you don't find an adapter, of any kind, then your radio wasn't installed properly, and is damaging your factory amplifier, over time. In this case use the factory amp bypass adapter suggested in my previous post.

If this seems confusing, try to find some kind of label on the adapters you have, and give that company a call. Most are very accommodating if you can provide the model number of your adapter.

Of course, you can post any additional questions you have, here, and I'll try to help you out as best I can.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 AM
mikelbca01
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you think it's the alternator, heres a simple test you can perform. Use jumper cables to connect your battery to another vehicle. With engine running, does the noise transfer to the other vehicle? If not, then your electrical system is fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.