Ignition noise thru the radio? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
02Lightning
2001 WJ 

Ignition noise thru the radio?

Does anyone know what would cause ignition noise thru the radio? I just started hearing a click, click, noise that changes with engine speed. It sounds like a rock in the tire but through the radio speakers. I did pop the hood last night to see if I could see any sparks flying around the plug wires but I didnít see anything. It is time, or past due for new plugs and wires for it, I got about 60k on these, what type of plugs do Jeeps come from the factory with?

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L NV242LD Transfer Case, 42RE, 130,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 10:24 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Bad ground?
post #3 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 10:28 AM
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

Clicking and popping in speakers can be bad connections with the speaker wires. But the fact that you say its changing along with the RPMs it could be a bad ground. Is this a factory radio?

As for plugs, stick with Champion or AC Delco plugs. Don't get anything fancy, its a waste of money.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
02Lightning
2001 WJ 

Not the factory radio, It’s a pioneer the previous owner put in. The speakers and amp are all factory. I’ve had the jeep six years and not messed with any of the radio wiring and it’s not been a problem. Looks like they used an aftermarket plug to go into the factory harness and then wired the radio to the plug with crimped connection. Also, I was just going to put in the cheep copper tip plugs. I’m curious how the plugs will look because I’ve never left any in that long.

post #5 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM
mikelbca01
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm new to this community and not a Jeep experts, but I do a little about engine noise. Clicking and popping noises are an AC signal running through a DC path. This could be any ground or +12 volt wire connected to your radio. This includes the chassis of the radio, and antenna, as they also pass ground. If you don't have access to noise testing equipment, try isolating your ground connections to one by pulling the radio out of the dash (this will isolate the radio from chassis ground).

Now that you have eliminated the chassis as a possible noise path, there's a couple things we need to know. Does your radio include tape or CD? and does the noise happen with these sources as well?
If possible try a different audio sources. If you have noise on other sources besides AM/FM, disconnect the antenna (another ground source). If you still have noise with the chassis of the radio isolated and the antenna removed, then you have isolated the problem to three possible wires, constant power, accessory power, and ground.

This should keep you busy for a while, and what results from these suggestions will determine the next step. Let me know what results.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM
KyleD31
1993 ZJ 

There's a built in amp or was it installed with the radio?
post #7 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM
mikelbca01
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, didn't see you last post. If you have factory amplifiers, this changes everything. What system do you have Bose? Infinity? etc...
post #8 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
02Lightning
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelbca01 View Post
Sorry, didn't see you last post. If you have factory amplifiers, this changes everything. What system do you have Bose? Infinity? etc...
Built in amp, Infinity Gold.

post #9 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 PM
tizzly
1994 ZJ 

All of the components are probably sharing a common ground. There is a noise filter you can put in to get rid of the noise. I have had squealing in my speakers before it was high pitch. I put in a filter and it went away
post #10 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 PM
rm2001wj

2001 WJ 

Go ahead and change the plugs and the wires, including the wire from the coil to distributor. Nothing fancy is needed, just OEM type wires and traditional plug like the Champion RC12LYC. All this should reduce the possibility of electromagnetic interference from the ignition system.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM
mikelbca01
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The infinity system is a 4-channel amplifier with low level input. If your Pioneer radio is connected to this amp with RCAs, pull the radio from the dash to get to the RCA output (If it connected some other way, please post description). With the radio on, hold a wire to the outside ring (shield) of the RCA output. Hold the other end of the wire to the Chassis of the Pioneer Radio. Does this cause the noise to decrease or go away? Or, get louder?

If it goes away, you need to make this connection permanent. What you are doing is bypassing the ground loop isolation circuit in the Pioneer radio.

If the noise increases, you could continue troubleshooting with the amp connected, but that will get complicated. Instead, I suggest you purchase an adapter that allows you to bypass the factory amp.

You can use any manufacturer's adapter, but here's one example from Metra:
http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-6513

This is an easy fix, and if it doesn't work, at least you have simplified the system to a point that makes it easier to troubleshoot (see previous post, if necessary). ; )
post #12 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 05:05 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Put a set of 20.00 Denso wires and champion plugs and my noise went away. I change them out once a year just as regular maintenance.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #13 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Gcnettl
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelbca01
I'm new to this community and not a Jeep experts, but I do a little about engine noise. Clicking and popping noises are an AC signal running through a DC path. This could be any ground or +12 volt wire connected to your radio. This includes the chassis of the radio, and antenna, as they also pass ground. If you don't have access to noise testing equipment, try isolating your ground connections to one by pulling the radio out of the dash (this will isolate the radio from chassis ground).

Now that you have eliminated the chassis as a possible noise path, there's a couple things we need to know. Does your radio include tape or CD? and does the noise happen with these sources as well?
If possible try a different audio sources. If you have noise on other sources besides AM/FM, disconnect the antenna (another ground source). If you still have noise with the chassis of the radio isolated and the antenna removed, then you have isolated the problem to three possible wires, constant power, accessory power, and ground.

This should keep you busy for a while, and what results from these suggestions will determine the next step. Let me know what results.
A capacitor from RadioShack, installed as a "tee" connection in your radio power wire, then the opposite end of the capacitor soldered to a wire that you connect to the chassis somewhere for a ground, would shunt the AC current to ground. Capacitors pass the AC current, but block DC. It does not have to be a big one.

Sometimes alternators will cause this before failure.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
02Lightning
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelbca01 View Post
The infinity system is a 4-channel amplifier with low level input. If your Pioneer radio is connected to this amp with RCAs, pull the radio from the dash to get to the RCA output (If it connected some other way, please post description).
This is not hooked up with RCA's, the pioneer is just hooked into the factory harness.

post #15 of 18 Old 09-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Correct, the infinity amp is a high-level input (speaker level) rather than rca (low level.) Your alt could be showing it's age and not rectifiing the a/c voltage as it should. Some good troubleshooting ideas have been posted above and , if you had one available, you could also swap in a different deck to see if the problem goes away.

Also look at the quality of the crimps/splices between the harness adapter and the pioneer deck to see that a loose connection is not causing your issues. An intermitant connection would also manifest itself with popping noises in your speakers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.