Ignition Issue - Key won't turn at all - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ignition Issue - Key won't turn at all

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
rclark

Ignition Issue - Key won't turn at all

On my 2000 WJ key goes in fine but won't turn forward or backwards. Tried giggling the shifter to see if maybe it was the shifter lock. The steering wheel also moves freely so it's not the steering lock. Do i have a bad ignition? If so, how do I replace? This jeep is equipped with the coded key.

Unread 02-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
rclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
On my 2000 WJ key goes in fine but won't turn forward or backwards. Tried giggling the shifter to see if maybe it was the shifter lock. The steering wheel also moves freely so it's not the steering lock. Do i have a bad ignition? If so, how do I replace? This jeep is equipped with the coded key.
TTT

Please
Unread 02-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
rclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
Solved this on my own so I figured I'd give the solution incase anyone finds this during a search. I tried tapping the key as I turned it with a rubber mallet (or the butt end of a screw driver should work) and it still won't budge forward. I then put some graphite powder (just a little bit!) in the key slot and worked it around with the key for a few minutes. After tapping with the mallet I saw able to get the key to move forward. At this point I would recommend removing the ignition tumbler and bring to a lock-smith to be rebuilt or in my case just replaced the part all together. (Only $50 at my local locksmith.) To remove the tumbler - push the key forward one click and then remove the bezel surrounding the steering wheel. There is a single screw under the column that holds the bottom part on. Under the tumbler there is a little mechanism that you push up and then you can pull the key out with the tumbler attached. Use a small flat-head screw driver to push the mechanism. Also, remember, the key has to turn 1-click forward to be able to remove this part. Good luck.
Unread 01-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
barroomchampion

I cant believe this worked!

I was in the process of locating a tow-service to tow my Jeep to get the ignition cylinder replaced when I found these old posts. A few days ago, the key for my 99 TJ Wrangler just stopped going all the way in and would not turn the ignition. Although the steering wheel was not locked, the key would not go all the way in and turn the ignition. I read this post, and put a dishtowel over the key in the ignition and gave it a few raps with a hammer.. It turned! It still sticks and prob needs to be replaced/fixed, but at least I can DRIVE IT to be fixed and not tow it.

THANK YOU!
barroomchampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
autopc25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A friend has a '96 Grand Cherokee. His ignition key will not turn after being inserted in the ignition. His steering wheel lock also seems to be disengaged. You have to turn the key partway to press the release pin to pull the key cylinder right? How do you do that if the key will not turn to the position to push the release pin?

Is his ignition key coded? Is that a problem if we have to remove and replace the key cylinder and replace it with a new one? How do you re-code the new key?
autopc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

The key should not be coded. The ignition lock cylinder should be able to be cleaned I would think.
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...501#msg1155501
The link is what I used to fix this problem in my 97 Catera. I would guess the ignition switch in the jeep would be similar. Just a guess don't know for sure. If anyone tries it, take some pictures and post up a how to. Keep in mind the springs and levers are tiny and kind of a pain to deal with. If nothing else you could pull the lock and have a locksmith repair it. Might be cheaper to just replace it.
MyKeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
warrenhardguy

I had the same issue, just insert the key and hit it with a hammer, I shot a video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9919jE9gVr8
warrenhardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Tazando
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This just happened to me. I used the hammer trick to get it home, wouldn't recommend as a long term fix though. found this vid on you tube. I got it apart, was really dirty. Cleaned and put back, turns every time. here is vid link:
Tazando is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.